Slumping bed - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2018, 05:57 PM   #1

Tennessee
Slumping bed

I have a '12 3740 Infinity 39' fiver which I purchased last year. We have taken the unit out two times this year and the mattress slumps in the middle. The mattress is a memory foam which we thought was probably a lower end model and time to change it out. We bought a new mattress. I started moving the old mattress and when I stepped on the platform at the head board the chip board platform sunk 3 inches. So we didn't have a mattress problem but a structural support problem.

I have two options:
1. take apart the existing structure and build a support under the platform.

2. Leave the chip board and strengthen it with 3/4" birch plywood.

Anybody dealt with this problem? Is there solutions I have not considered?

Cedrick

Cedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:39 PM   #2

Colorado
I went with the next thicker piece of good plywood and I added a couple of pieces of the perforated angle iron to the underside of the bed base as stiffeners. I placed them crosswise where the most weight was concentrated, i.e. hips and shoulders. It made a big difference. You might also have a mattress problem not very good foam in the OEM mattresses. We replaced the OEM with the same foam mattress that we have on our bed at home.

2002 Suzuki DRZ400E
Dirt1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:55 PM   #3

Idaho
I added support lumber in the middle of the OSB. I thought about going with thicker OSB, but I already had the 1x4.
Idcruiserman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 04:10 AM   #4

Colorado
Install 3 2"×3" joists running the width of your bed. Install one just below where your shoulders hit the mattress, a 2nd one right above where your butt touches and a 3rd one about 15" further south.

Put 2×3" posts screwed to the walls of your bed frame to support the joist weight. Screw the plywood to the new joist every 8" with 1-5/8" course drywall screws. My middle joist landed right where the hinge for the under storage was, so one side of the hinge got screwed to a new joist (recommended). I also screwed a 2"×2" to the other side of the hinge for good measure.
Will fix it, costs about $20 bucks and only took an hour once I had the wood. And you won't lose any storage space.
If your install thicker plywood you will have to buy new gas springs if you have under bed storage. Springs and plywood $100 or so.
Lilnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:25 PM   #5

Colorado
On our 2014 Voltage...the OSB platform the mattress sits on...the Passenger side of the OSB came within 2" of the edge of the mattress. On the Driver side, my side, the mattress hung over the OSB by 8". No wonder I felt I was always under the edge of the night stand!!

You could, as I began thinking yesterday...with some sag in the middle. Actually frame a "wall" screwed to the floor that the OSB comes to rest on when the bed is down. Might lose a little storage. But I'm thinking of sheeting it with 1/8" like the rest of the trailer, and that would help keep little stuff from sliding around under the bed.

I also used a bit of 1"x1" and framed three sides of a 4" square, 18" towards the head of the bed, from the foot, so that I can use a 42" piece of 1"x2" hardwood to prop the bed up when loading or unloading. Ours, if the bed is made, the gas cylinders won't hold it up anyway. The ground end of the 1"x2" rests in the corner of the bed base on the Driver side.

Just thoughts,

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:50 PM   #6

Florida
They make several different versions of the gas cylinders to hold up the bed. I'm looking at replacing mine since they are CRAP and don't want to hold up the weight. I think I have seen them in the automotive sections of walmart even.

I used the self stick linoleum tile trick to put under the mattress so I could make the bed easier. MUCH EASIER now to get the sheets changed.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote