Schwintek slide issue......again! - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2013, 12:34 AM   #1

Indiana
Schwintek slide issue......again!

Well, I was really hoping that my slides were no longer going to be an issue, again. WRONG.

Went to a camping area over Labor Day weekend, problem free.
Got back home again no issues.

I left my slides out for a week or better before my next trip to New Hampshire at the end of September. Had a little issue getting the bedroom slide all the way in. Worked it back and forth and got to the seals to meet.

When we closed the slide to head home from New Hampshire the slide seals wouldn't meet no matter what I did. Now, I can't get the slide to come within 3 inches of the wall before the motors stop.

I've run the slides in 12" and back several times to sync the motors. I've recalibrated at the brain. Still nothin'.

I've contacted my trusty RV repair facility. They'll get me in on the 12th. I'm keepin' my fingers crossed.

Like Sundancer, it sucks that the slides are even an issue when getting ready to leave any place. Even after its fixed again its a matter of when, not if the slide won't work properly.

I really like my unit. Just not the issues. My DW & I will be looking at other RV's at the RV show in Tampa.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:48 AM   #2

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinityrver View Post
Well, I was really hoping that my slides were no longer going to be an issue, again. WRONG.

I left my slides out for a week or better before my next trip to New Hampshire at the end of September. Had a little issue getting the bedroom slide all the way in. Worked it back and forth and got to the seals to meet.

When we closed the slide to head home from New Hampshire the slide seals wouldn't meet no matter what I did. Now, I can't get the slide to come within 3 inches of the wall before the motors stop.

I've run the slides in 12" and back several times to sync the motors. I've recalibrated at the brain. Still nothin'.

I've contacted my trusty RV repair facility. They'll get me in on the 12th. I'm keepin' my fingers crossed.

Like Sundancer, it sucks that the slides are even an issue when getting ready to leave any place. Even after its fixed again its a matter of when, not if the slide won't work properly.

I really like my unit. Just not the issues. My DW & I will be looking at other RV's at the RV show in Tampa.
I sure hope you find a comparable unit with a different slide system. It's been running through my head to trade this 'bucket o' bolts' for a toy hauler that looks as nice as the 3800 but has a slide system more stable, or at least a system that I can manually manipulate in case of failure.

I don't like living with the 'when will the hammer fall?' feeling each time I leave a place.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:30 PM   #3

Washington
Quote:

I was reading the manual on the slides after the problems with mine. Have you tried disonnecting the motors at the controller? The manual says this releases the brakes on the motors and allows you to manually move the slide. Not what we paid for but it might let you get it closed. I haven't tried it on mine yet as I'm about 2000 miles from my trailer.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:06 AM   #4

Indiana
Jeff,

To my knowledge, the only way to bring the slide in is to take a screw out of the drive shaft of each motor and lift the motor up. Then manually push the slide in.

I watched the video that said something about pulling the wires but, thought that was to help in the recalibration process. I'll take a look at the videos again. Thanks for your input.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Old 10-30-2013, 12:22 AM   #5

Oklahoma
Quote:
Jeff,

To my knowledge, the only way to bring the slide in is to take a screw out of the drive shaft of each motor and lift the motor up. Then manually push the slide in.

I watched the video that said something about pulling the wires but, thought that was to help in the recalibration process. I'll take a look at the videos again. Thanks for your input.
The wires to the motors on the controller will release the motor brake when disconnected. The brakes keep the slide from sliding out while under way.

The screw that holds the motor in place is actually a locking screw that keeps the motor from spinning and jumping up when loaded. It only protrudes inside an opening in the motor to do this and doesn't connect to the drive shaft.

Next week when I return to Oklahoma I'll post some fugly pix of the outstanding slide system when it decides to eat itself.

Hopefully I'll get mine repaired before January when I want to roll some tires down the highway.

It would be easier to remove the motor from the inside but I don't have that option. If you do decide to remove the motor(s), scribe the motor and its base first. They are indexed and it can be difficult to find the index holes without the scribe marks.

If all else fails leave a candle burning and open the gas valve
Old 11-14-2013, 10:52 PM   #6

Indiana
My unit is at the RV repair facility to get the bedroom slide fixed. The lower outside floor board is made of OSB. This osb board had expanded and swollen due to getting wet. This is what took place, even previous to my purchase of this unit. At the time, no one knew, or were willing to admit it. Finally, the issue has risen to the fore front through one of the Dutchmen owners on this forum.

I have contacted Keystone. Keystone has forwarded my issue to the infamous Dan DeLong at Dutchmen (he has been non-responsive to another issue in the recent past).

He was very polite and asked for pictures of my problem slide. We will see if Keystone management has changed the eroded attitudes at Dutchmen.

Good luck to me!

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Old 11-14-2013, 11:10 PM   #7

Oklahoma
Quote:
My unit is at the RV repair facility to get the bedroom slide fixed. The lower outside floor board is made of OSB. This osb board had expanded and swollen due to getting wet. This is what took place, even previous to my purchase of this unit. At the time, no one knew, or were willing to admit it. Finally, the issue has risen to the fore front through one of the Dutchmen owners on this forum.

I have contacted Keystone. Keystone has forwarded my issue to the infamous Dan DeLong at Dutchmen (he has been non-responsive to another issue in the recent past).

He was very polite and asked for pictures of my problem slide. We will see if Keystone management has changed the eroded attitudes at Dutchmen.

Good luck to me!
Could you post the contact information for the Keystone person?
The mobile mechanic is supposed to show up tomorrow morning to see what it will take to get my big slide operational again. He'll work through a Tulsa dealer but he may not be aware of Keystone's involvement with Dutchman's problems.

I think I'm looking at a completely new gear and rack arrangement on one end to get the slide working again.

I've been researching alternative slide mechanisms but I haven't found a unit yet that doesn't show a photo of an open slide that doesn't use Schwintek systems on the larger rooms.

I won't have any confidence in this system even after I get mine repaired. I'll be sweating bullets every time I extend a slide in a 35 buck a night RV park. Right now I'm in good shape where I'm sitting but I don't expect to turn this POS into a park model toy hauler. If and when a manufacturer uses a different slide mechanism this thing will be traded off to be someone else's problem.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:11 PM   #8

Washington
Dave, as said, good luck to you. Hopefully they'll live up to the promise of what these coaches were supposed to be.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:50 AM   #9

Indiana
Jeff (Sawpilot) you bet.

Sundancer, I just went to the Keystone Service/warranty and filled in the info. Marked it other and wrote my Dutchmen Infinity in.

A rep for Keystone asked for my Vin and forwarded it to Dutchmen.

Dan DeLong from Dutchmen contacted me in a nicer manner. I'm thinkin' Keystone management may be working.

I'm no longer under warranty I believe that you still are. You probably have a better chance at getting your slide resolved then I do.

Good luck!

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Old 11-15-2013, 10:03 PM   #10

Oklahoma
The mobile mechanic came today to look at my non-sliding Schwintek slider. After a few 'wows, um, dangs, why are there three, I dunno and wow' he/we decided the problem was bigger than a field repair attempt.

On the phone to a dealer in Tulsa for an appointment December 3rd for diagnosis, a wait period of three weeks for parts (and I'm sure the Dutchman dance to get the parts), and a few days to perhaps remove the slide and make the repair.

So, I'll be out of my home until sometime next year. Fortunately I have a place to hang my hat and feed my dog.

I paid the mobile guy 125 bucks for his service call. His normal price is 175 for turning a wheel. Next month he'll come back, another 125 bucks plus time and materials to winterize the unit and jack the slide into its hole so I can haul to Tulsa.

Hopefully Lippert/Dutchman/Schwintek/Pancho Villa/Robin Hood and/or Goldie Locks will cover some of these extra expenses due to their 'ready to fail' slide system.