Schwintek getting repaired - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2013, 12:18 AM   #1

Indiana
Schwintek getting repaired

My rig's at the repair facility getting fixed today. After the repair was done and secure they ran the slide in and out. It now goes all the way and seals up against the wall as it should.

They will finish up by sealing beneath the lower facia and the underneath of the slide tomorrow.

I am stoked to take our trip to Florida next weekend. This will be less stress knowing that the slide will function as it was designed.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:31 AM   #2

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinityrver View Post
My rig's at the repair facility getting fixed today. After the repair was done and secure they ran the slide in and out. It now goes all the way and seals up against the wall as it should.

They will finish up by sealing beneath the lower facia and the underneath of the slide tomorrow.

I am stoked to take our trip to Florida next weekend. This will be less stress knowing that the slide will function as it was designed.
Great news mister!!!!

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #3

Washington
Wow, that is fantastic!! But last we heard you had just started to contact Keystone. Sounds like somene responded. Did they replace the floor? Mine doesn't go in until Dec 1st. Waiting on a repair slot and the parts. Have a great trip and keep us informed.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:11 PM   #4

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawpilot View Post
Wow, that is fantastic!! But last we heard you had just started to contact Keystone. Sounds like somene responded. Did they replace the floor? Mine doesn't go in until Dec 1st. Waiting on a repair slot and the parts. Have a great trip and keep us informed.
I already had an appointment with the repair facility about 3 weeks ago. That was prior to contacting Dutchmen/Keystone. I am not under warranty. When I contacted Dutchmen they asked me to send pictures. I did send the pictures that same day. The same person that had ignored me before is doing the same thing, now. His name is Dan DeLong. I really didn't think that he had changed his ways.

I own several commercial trucks and equipment. When something needs to be fixed we get it done. Same with my recreational vehicle. I can't wait for a company that drags their feet.

I am leaving for Florida next week. We were not going to postpone our departure time waiting for a piece of wafer board from the factory. We have rebuilt the board and have created a water shield so water will not penetrate, again.

I am going to purchase another rear living 5er in the future. After looking at the inside of my bedroom slide and for many other reasons Dutchmen is not on the list.

The slide now slides in and seals up against the trailer wall. Which, it has never done in the 20 months I've owned it.

My RV repair guys are the best.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Old 11-19-2013, 11:34 PM   #5

Washington
I talked to my guy at CW and asked if the replacement floor would be an improvement over the original. He said it would probably be the same floor (OSB) but they'd take a good look and get it sealed properly this time (fingers crossed). I f I have the problem again, I'll fix it and dump it. As you say, Dutchmen and for that matter, THOR, will not be on the list. The old Teton Homes factory produces custom built units I hear and that was one of the best back in its day. Glad you were able to get a satisfactory repair. Go and enjoy the sun.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:57 PM   #6

Oklahoma
Quote:
I already had an appointment with the repair facility about 3 weeks ago. That was prior to contacting Dutchmen/Keystone. I am not under warranty. When I contacted Dutchmen they asked me to send pictures. I did send the pictures that same day. The same person that had ignored me before is doing the same thing, now. His name is Dan DeLong. I really didn't think that he had changed his ways.

I own several commercial trucks and equipment. When something needs to be fixed we get it done. Same with my recreational vehicle. I can't wait for a company that drags their feet.

I am leaving for Florida next week. We were not going to postpone our departure time waiting for a piece of wafer board from the factory. We have rebuilt the board and have created a water shield so water will not penetrate, again.

I am going to purchase another rear living 5er in the future. After looking at the inside of my bedroom slide and for many other reasons Dutchmen is not on the list.

The slide now slides in and seals up against the trailer wall. Which, it has never done in the 20 months I've owned it.

My RV repair guys are the best.

Ok, so give it up already!!! Who did the repairs to the slide? I might not get the warm and fuzzys from the Tulsa dealer so I might drag this thing somewhere else that comes with a recommendation.

I've searched many toy haulers with slides and it seems as if Lippert has their hand in each and every one of them. I don't see a rig with a big slide w/o the Lippert thing and I'm wanting to dump this baby as soon as I can find a suitable replacement.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:08 AM   #7

Washington
Sundancer 87, have you seen where he lives? BRRRR! If you get in you might not get out!
Old 11-20-2013, 01:17 AM   #8

Indiana
Ok, Ok, Okaaaaaay. It is Coastal RV Repair in my hometown of Topsham, Maine. The nearest Dutchmen Infinity Dealer is a 100 miles away in our neighboring State of New Hampshire.

The guy that started this RV business 4 years ago serviced and sold Newmar MH's and 5th wheel units. He worked with his father-in-laws years previous.

He is not a fan of the Schwintek slide and still isn't. He doesn't like the fact that there are no adjustments. When my unit was under warranty he actually turned down working on the schwintek slides. He had already had a bad experience in the year prior. Even the Schwintek factory tech had to come in and work on a slide for two days. He all but said no. I begged and convinced him that things will be different with the Dutchmen company this time (was I wrong).

I had been reading this forum and finally came upon water damage discussions on the Schwintek slides. So, with that information and him digging into the underside of the slide he determined that the bottom board was swelling out just at the outer wall of the slide. This placed pressure upward and would bind the lower schwintek gear and rail of the slide.

So, here I am seeing the slide go in and out correctly. Hope it stays that way.

I hope yours is the same issue with your slide. Then, it will be easier for them to determine the problem.

Good Luck!!!

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Old 11-20-2013, 01:22 AM   #9

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawpilot View Post
Sundancer 87, have you seen where he lives? BRRRR! If you get in you might not get out!
That's a chance he'll have to take. We'll see how bad he wants his slide fixed.

PS. He'd only be in here 'till May. Ha Ha Ha Ha!

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Old 11-20-2013, 01:40 AM   #10

Oklahoma
Quote:
That's a chance he'll have to take. We'll see how bad he wants his slide fixed.

PS. He'd only be in here 'till May. Ha Ha Ha Ha!
I have a friend that lives in Rockport and haven't seen the ole wharf rat for a few years. He says it warms up, sometimes.