Roof: PV Frame mounting 1997 33rk fifth wheel - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2015, 09:29 PM   #1

California
Roof: PV Frame mounting 1997 33rk fifth wheel

Does anyone have a frame diagram and construction details of walls and roof for Dutchmen 1997 vintage 5th wheels ?

Solar Panels were probably not a thought in the original engineering or construction objectives.

It would be great to know what I am attaching to, the structure underneath the roof rubber, and the weight capacity.

Like my name says "woofo" or "what for?" or what's the details?

Wuffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:35 AM   #2

Pennsylvania
Howdy,

I’m getting ready for a solar upgrade too. I pulled off the trim cover around the ceiling vent inside and discovered my aluminum frame RV has wooden roof joists. So, I’m planning to use a stud finder up on the roof to determine where the joists are. I have to figure out how to mount the panels after I figure out what’s up there.

I have a system picked out, just waiting until we get back from this next trip to order it. Looking at a kit with 2-100 watt panels, an MPPT charge controller, and a 1500W inverter. I’ll need at least a 200 amp hour deep cycle battery supply. I’m very much open to input from folks who have already done a solar install too. Research is good, but experience is better.

2015 Voltage 3305, Gone for Good !
2014 Ram 3500 dually, Aisin, Gone but not Forgotten.
2018 Winnebago Sunstar 32YE
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:00 PM   #3

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompwil View Post
Howdy,

I’m getting ready for a solar upgrade too. I pulled off the trim cover around the ceiling vent inside and discovered my aluminum frame RV has wooden roof joists. So, I’m planning to use a stud finder up on the roof to determine where the joists are. I have to figure out how to mount the panels after I figure out what’s up there.

I have a system picked out, just waiting until we get back from this next trip to order it. Looking at a kit with 2-100 watt panels, an MPPT charge controller, and a 1500W inverter. I’ll need at least a 200 amp hour deep cycle battery supply. I’m very much open to input from folks who have already done a solar install too. Research is good, but experience is better.
How goes the project? Joist Diagram?
I would assume two parallel rails, running the length of the roof, with stand-offs from joist to joist, might be a possible frame to support multiple panels on a tilting plan.

How are you going about the project?
Wuffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:13 AM   #4

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuffo View Post
I would assume two parallel rails, running the length of the roof, with stand-offs from joist to joist, might be a possible frame to support multiple panels on a tilting plan.

Project on hold, I'm not comfortable doing any installations just yet. Still getting things fixed from factory quality issues. I'm trying to stay positive, but this has been a long and seemingly never ending process. As soon as I think everything is all done, I get whacked again. It's in the shop right now to have all the bedroom slide seals replaced. The dealer service dept. destroyed the wiper seals and bulb seals when they pulled out the slide to replace the water damaged floor. I noticed the damage a couple weeks ago when I got water under the slide again with it retracted. I think more and more about dumping this piece of %$#&^ with each trip to the shop. At least they are still warranting the repairs since it has been quite ridiculous. Actual warranty expired last November.

2015 Voltage 3305, Gone for Good !
2014 Ram 3500 dually, Aisin, Gone but not Forgotten.
2018 Winnebago Sunstar 32YE
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:41 PM   #5

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuffo View Post

There is no such thing as a Joist diagram, at least on my camper the rafters are 16" on center. Once you find the first one, the rest can be found with a tape measure.

I doubt you can run rails the lenght of the roof, with all the stuff on the roof. Placement is where ever you can make it fit and what the easiest way to route the wire. I've got one panel in front of the AC and one beside it. This allowed me to go straight down into the wall cavity that the controller would be installed in.

My panels are mounted using the standard Z-mounts, the attatching point is 32" on center, so it centers on the rafters. Tilting panels can be done, but all of them that I have seen require a lot of manual adjusting. Just one more thing to setup and take down. It would be OK if your setiing up for a long stay.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, roof, solar panels