Replacing Slide carpeting with Linoleum/Laminate - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2013, 03:26 AM   #1

Illinois
Replacing Slide carpeting with Linoleum/Laminate

My wife and I have 3 young children and would like to replace the carpeting in the living area slide with a laminate or linoleum, which would be much easier to clean after breakfast! I guess I'm wondering if this can be done. I would like to replace the carpeting in the slide and the carpeting in the area the slide covers when it is pulled in. Any ideas?

Pullrite Super Glide Hitch
jd4230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:44 AM   #2

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd4230 View Post
My wife and I have 3 young children and would like to replace the carpeting in the living area slide with a laminate or linoleum, which would be much easier to clean after breakfast! I guess I'm wondering if this can be done. I would like to replace the carpeting in the slide and the carpeting in the area the slide covers when it is pulled in. Any ideas?
We wanted to do this as well, as we have 2 dogs and wanted something that wouldn't collect hair.

The only problem with going with all lino is that seam that the carpet covers will be visable. So we decided was to leave the carpet and cover it with clear vinyl runner.

If someone else has gone to all lino, let us know how it worked.

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #3

Quebec
In our previous trailer, we found that the carpet in the living room area kept getting dirty where the 2 slides (left and right) came over the carpet when retracted. I ended up replacing the carpet and linoleum in the entire kitchen/living room area with a laminated floor. It went very well, but the thing you have to be careful of is to get the thinnest laminate you can find so you don't have a problem with the slide catching on the edge of the laminate when you retract it. I beveled the edges of the laminate where the slide had to come over it to reduce the possibility of it catching. I haven't replaced flooring in the slide .... I left the existing carpet.
2012 GMC 2500HD Diesel
kevinmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:42 PM   #4

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmiles View Post
In our previous trailer, we found that the carpet in the living room area kept getting dirty where the 2 slides (left and right) came over the carpet when retracted. I ended up replacing the carpet and linoleum in the entire kitchen/living room area with a laminated floor. It went very well, but the thing you have to be careful of is to get the thinnest laminate you can find so you don't have a problem with the slide catching on the edge of the laminate when you retract it. I beveled the edges of the laminate where the slide had to come over it to reduce the possibility of it catching. I haven't replaced flooring in the slide .... I left the existing carpet.
How did you attach the laminate? Did you nail it, glue it, or just leave it floating like you can do in a house? I'm guessing you attached it somehow since it's in a RV. Also, did you put an underlayment under it like you do in a house?

Thanks for the info!
Pullrite Super Glide Hitch
jd4230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #5

Quebec
I just left it floating like you would in a house. It never moved while traveling. The only minor issue I had was that occasionally one or 2 adjacent boards would slide a little when the slides were extended or retracted but I was always able to reposition them easily. On top of the plywood floor I first laid down a vinyl vapor barrier then a thin foam underlayment that provided some cushioning under the floor.
2012 GMC 2500HD Diesel
Old 08-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #6

Quebec
PS - I also installed a wooden quarter round molding around the perimeter where necessary, stained to match the trailer woodwork.

2012 GMC 2500HD Diesel