Receiver hitch? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2014, 06:06 PM   #1

Colorado
Receiver hitch?

Has anyone installed a receiver hitch on the back of their coach? If so, what brand/model?

2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:02 PM   #2

Colorado
I have posted this question on a couple of other forums and all I get is the sound of crickets.

I know that they make the hitches, Curt has several models, and I know that people have hitches, I see them all over the place.

I am not really interested in towing, although I will admit that is a possibility, but what I really want to do is have place for a platform to carry a motorized wheelchair along with us.

I guess I will continue my research.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:33 PM   #3

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalkie View Post
Has anyone installed a receiver hitch on the back of their coach? If so, what brand/model?
I have fabricated two of them before for friends. I don't know of a manufacturer selling one. Liability would be a large concern. I suppose they do exist though.

Here is a picture of a nice design that you could copy or have copied. Click this Heartland Owners Forum.
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:33 PM   #4

Colorado
I appreciate the link but it requires that I register to the forum. I am in (likely) too many as is.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:48 PM   #5

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalkie View Post
I appreciate the link but it requires that I register to the forum. I am in (likely) too many as is.
I did not know that. Let's see if I can post the photo.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:03 AM   #6

Arizona
Link

Here is a link to a manufactured hitch for rear of fifth wheel. Says not to use for towing 350lb max tongue weight.

Ultra-Fab 2" Trailer Hitch Receiver for 5th Wheel Trailer Frames Ultra-Fab Products Accessories and Parts UF35-946403

Depending on how the belly of your trailer is setup it may or may not work.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:24 AM   #7

Saskatchewan
I had the rear bumper on my 242RESL checked by a welder for a possible receiver to carry a bike and he advised me not to do it - too thin (he is certified to do deep sea welding). He went on to suggest that a front mounted receiver on my truck would be a better idea; it's cheaper and I could install it myself. I had one on my old Chevrolet for putting a boat in the water. (Hitch Depot USA- Trailer Hitches and Towing Accessories | Front Mount Hitches Parts).

2013 Timber Ridge, 2013 GMC Sierra 6.2 L
kayakcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:08 AM   #8

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlan in arizona View Post
Here is a link to a manufactured hitch for rear of fifth wheel. Says not to use for towing 350lb max tongue weight.

Ultra-Fab 2" Trailer Hitch Receiver for 5th Wheel Trailer Frames Ultra-Fab Products Accessories and Parts UF35-946403

Depending on how the belly of your trailer is setup it may or may not work.
Thanks. I think I need one that hangs down further but at this point I may be second guessing myself. The numbers I wrote down when taking measurements may be off. Hopefully it warm up some in the next few days and I will check again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakcrazy View Post
I had the rear bumper on my 242RESL checked by a welder for a possible receiver to carry a bike and he advised me not to do it - too thin (he is certified to do deep sea welding). He went on to suggest that a front mounted receiver on my truck would be a better idea; it's cheaper and I could install it myself. I had one on my old Chevrolet for putting a boat in the water. (Hitch Depot USA- Trailer Hitches and Towing Accessories | Front Mount Hitches Parts).
The Infinity we have does not have a rear bumper so it needs to be something to the frame. We considered a front hitch but the chair weighs enough that I am not sure I want it hanging out in front like that. Plus the platform is 28" deep.

I appreciate the ideas and links but I am beginning to think I may just need to go to a weld shop and have something custom made.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:15 AM   #9

British Columbia
The type of frame material will be the biggest factor when it comes to finding the right receiver for the coach.

My Colorado has an I-beam frame, so I wanted a hitch that I could mount on the "outside" of the frame rail and avoid cutting into the belly pan. Very much like Arlan's photo, but the ears pointing inwards.

It took half a day of running from truck accessory shops to wrecking yards and I found what I needed. I found one in a wrecking yard that bolted right up. The plus is it only cost me $40.00.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:18 PM   #10

Florida
5th wheel rear bumper towing ideas

I called Dutchmen for advise on a bike rack for the rear of my Denali. They stated any modification in the form of any rear hitch would void the warranty. So I waited until the warranty expired and installed a bumper rack for two bikes. Works like a dream. In between that time I had a front receiver installed on my GMC Sierra 250 and then inserted a bike rack. It worked but handlebars stuck up rather high for the trip. I have seen many rear receivers on 5th wheels with no problem at all. Heartland even made a standard slide out rear bumper where a wheelchair could easily be towed.

Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote