Rear Kitchen Questions - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2017, 03:05 AM   #1

Texas
Rear Kitchen Questions

We brought our new Denali 293RKS to our new home in Green Caye RV Park in Dickinson, Tx. yesterday. Today, while loading her up, it occurred to me that although a rear kitchen was to our liking, it might not have been the best place for a kitchen because of bouncing while being towed. After all, the kitchen is at the other end of the fulcrum.
Has anyone here with a rear kitchen, experienced any problems while on the road, in the way of pots, pans, dishes, etc. flying out of control?

Old 05-18-2017, 04:32 PM   #2

Ontario
can't say I've personally experienced it because I avoid a rear kitchen for that reason. But I have heard of people and friends having to put child locks on the cupboards to stop dishes from leaving the cupboards during transport. I've also heard a lot of people say their fridge compressor didn't last long due to the constant banging around during transport, but they have also said this isn't an issue if you turn your fridge off during transport, which according to some is law in many states anyway.(I guess the running compressor doesn't like being banged around) I always travel with my propane on for the fridge. but some will say not too. In the end you might want to look into child lock for transport.

2014 Ram 3500 Laramie 4X4 CTD
2011 Dutchmen Denali 262 RLX
drogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:11 PM   #3

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogers View Post
can't say I've personally experienced it because I avoid a rear kitchen for that reason. But I have heard of people and friends having to put child locks on the cupboards to stop dishes from leaving the cupboards during transport. I've also heard a lot of people say their fridge compressor didn't last long due to the constant banging around during transport, but they have also said this isn't an issue if you turn your fridge off during transport, which according to some is law in many states anyway.(I guess the running compressor doesn't like being banged around) I always travel with my propane on for the fridge. but some will say not too. In the end you might want to look into child lock for transport.
The little black thing under the refrigerator is commonly called the compressor. However the actual motor and piston is inside the compressor housing, surrounded by oil and is sitting on rubber cushions, at least that's the way they were in the good ole days.
The compressor housing proper is mounted on rubber feet as well and doesn't have much of a chance to move in any direction as long as it it retained in place.
The motor inside the compressor housing has room to move if necessary but that is limited.
If we think about the trip the compressor made from some 'ese' country a little road jiggle shouldn't hurt it.
It wouldn't make much difference if the compressor was running or not as long as the oil is there to keep it cool and lubricated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1204s.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	4138  
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:04 PM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
Propane refrigerators don't have compressors...

I also have yet to find a state that allows running the fridge while towing. There are a few tunnels that require you to shut off propane tanks while traveling through them.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:48 PM   #5

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post

I also have yet to find a state that allows running the fridge while towing. There are a few tunnels that require you to shut off propane tanks while traveling through them.

Aaron
I chain mine to the wall when traveling so it doesn't run, it does however cool down as I drive.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:16 PM   #6

Oklahoma
Quote:

Aaron
Of course, that's why it isn't a problem .
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:19 PM   #7
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Of course, that's why it isn't a problem [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38].
That was supposed to be doesn't allow... The never ending argument of driving or not with the LP on, someone always claims it is illegal in "some" state. But no one has been able to provide an actual source, other than the various tunnels and bridges.

Aaron[emoji41]

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2017, 01:29 PM   #8

Ontario
Quote:
That was supposed to be doesn't allow... The never ending argument of driving or not with the LP on, someone always claims it is illegal in "some" state. But no one has been able to provide an actual source, other than the various tunnels and bridges.
I agree no one who has ever told me about law for running with propane on has been able to produce anything to back up the claim. As I said my propane is always on when travelling.

Gotta keep that beer ice cold.

Old 05-19-2017, 01:34 PM   #9

Ontario
Quote:
After doing some research to learn more about RV fridge and how they work you are correct, no compressor. Hell no moving parts at all, But I'm sure I've heard and been told by a few that fridges in the back don't last as long, but now I'm thinking that might just be BS. Or maybe it's the propane valves and electronics that take all the extra beating when all the way in the back.

Time for more research.

Old 05-19-2017, 02:01 PM   #10
Site Team

North Carolina
I could see the fridge in a rear kitchen taking a beating, possibly shearing a connection internally. But then again, never heard of it being a problem. I know several people that have rear kitchen units and have never heard complaints from them. We were looking at a rear kitchen Lance TT a while back. That one has torsion axles so it rides pretty smooth. Buddy has a 90's vintage Travel Supreme fiver with rear kitchen and he doesn't pack any differently than we do with the middle kitchen. He still has his OEM fridge and it still cools just fine. I would guess he has hauled that trailer 75,000 miles in the past 10 years he has owned it, and he is the second owner.

Aaron.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:21 PM   #11

Arizona
I have not had any problems with the cookware bouncing around however I have noticed that the stone countertop has a crack running along the front to back axis. I attribute that to frame flexing, not so much to bouncing.
I do have to be careful opening the fridge though. I've had a few surprises (eek smilie goes here) waiting for me when opening the door after arriving at the site.
I've also had the curved storage door under the countertop pop open a few times. A bungee cord fixed that little problem.

I like the rear kitchen floor plan enough not to worry about the bouncing. YMMV.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:26 PM   #12

Arizona
Quote:

Aaron[emoji41]
Only time I've been told to shut off the propane was when I took the Washington State Ferry to Seattle.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:49 PM   #13

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
I chain mine to the wall when traveling so it doesn't run, it does however cool down as I drive.

Adair1965 is offline   Reply With Quote