Newbie with Fifth Wheel - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2014, 06:38 PM   #1

Ohio
Smile Newbie with Fifth Wheel

Hello everyone. My Husband and I purchased a 2012 Infinity yesterday. Was shoppinf for new but this unit was exceptionally clean. If anyone has input on towing, setup or anything you might have to add about the Infinity please share with us!

Mike and Maryellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:54 PM   #2

Saskatchewan
Welcome to the forum. You are in good hands here. Does your new trailer have Akuret tires on it? IMHO These are bombs waiting to go off. I didn't even get two years out of my tires. You may want to put 2012 Infinity into the search button at the top of the page to get the other posts about these trailers.

2013 Timber Ridge, 2013 GMC Sierra 6.2 L
kayakcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:24 PM   #3

Ohio
Hi Kayakcrazy,

Due to weather I haven't picked the fifth wheel up yet. My husband is getting the hitch installed next week. If memory serves me correctly, when I inspected the tires they were Goodyear.

Thanks for answering me!
Old 02-15-2014, 12:24 AM   #4

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Maryellen View Post
Hello everyone. My Husband and I purchased a 2012 Infinity yesterday. Was shoppinf for new but this unit was exceptionally clean. If anyone has input on towing, setup or anything you might have to add about the Infinity please share with us!
What model did you purchase?

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:50 AM   #5

Ohio
Hello, thanks for the inquiry...we bought the 3640 RL model....what is yours?
Old 02-15-2014, 01:41 PM   #6

Indiana
My model # is in my signiature just below. It's a '12 Model 3850RL.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your new purchase. Happy Campin'!

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:57 PM   #7

Colorado
Mike/Maryellen - we have the same unit but in a 2013 model year. I don't think there are any differences. So far we have felt the need to do any real modifications. we've done a couple of small things like extra lights in the basement, light inside the kitchen cabinets, etc.

We had the Trailair hitch installed when we bought it and that makes a real difference in how it tows compares to other 5ers we have had experiences with. We also put air bags on our truck. Other than that we have not done anything special for towing. We do try to stick at around 60mph when towing as the truck is happier at that speed and we are not in a hurry to get anywhere when we go.

2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:53 PM   #8

Ohio
Smile

Thanks for your Infinity inofrmation. Wishing we had our hitch installed so we could get away from this weather in northeast Ohio.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:01 PM   #9

Florida
Love the 5th wheel, previously owned two travel trailers. Tows exceptionally well especially on the Intrastate, no more sway. The slide plate we had on the hitch had a slide bar to lock the king pin in place and after bending it (opps) ordered a new plate with the jaws on it. Like it a lot more and self installed (4 bolts). Backing is a learning process as it is very different from the bumper pull, but you will get better. Lots more storage. We place the bikes under the bedroom when parked to keep out of the rain. Good Luck.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:52 AM   #10

Wisconsin
Our 2013 3850RL was picked up in Ishpeming, MI, last April. We're setting up for full time residence in the unit so I'm going "green", upgrading the electrics, belly insulation, rear view camera, storage systems, more windows, and other trinkets. Currently in Wisconsin, we're looking forward to wandering the country and running away from snow.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:10 PM   #11

New Mexico
I will get delivery on a new 2015 Voltage 3895. I have a 2013 F-350 dually to tow with. Brand new at towing 5th wheel. Need all the encouragement I can get. Kind of excited and nervous.
RO90u14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 02:28 AM   #12

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by RO90u14 View Post
I will get delivery on a new 2015 Voltage 3895. I have a 2013 F-350 dually to tow with. Brand new at towing 5th wheel. Need all the encouragement I can get. Kind of excited and nervous.
Towing a 5'er is a pleasure. You'll notice the weight because of the size but your rig should tow it nicely. Make sure you're familiar with your brake controller to help with stopping. Take it to an empty parking lot some place and play with it if you feel the need. Backing is easy but takes a little practice. Just take it easy and enjoy yourself. It will all come with a little time. Welcome to the forum.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:35 AM   #13

New Mexico
Thanks sawpilot, I really needed the encouragement. I'll let you know how it goes.
RO90u14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 03:47 AM   #14

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawpilot View Post
Towing a 5'er is a pleasure. You'll notice the weight because of the size but your rig should tow it nicely. Make sure you're familiar with your brake controller to help with stopping. Take it to an empty parking lot some place and play with it if you feel the need. Backing is easy but takes a little practice. Just take it easy and enjoy yourself. It will all come with a little time. Welcome to the forum.
Could not agree more with getting familiar with the controller. Even get use to how it feels at highway speed. (No traffic of course). If needed, nice to know how it reacts ahead of time, instead of first time being in an emergency situation.

Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote