Multiple Black Tanks? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2014, 09:41 PM   #1

Louisiana
Multiple Black Tanks?

Hello Dutchmen owners,

I’m hoping someone can help me figure out an issue with our washer drain line. I installed a washer & dryer when I purchased it since it had the prep package already.

Problem: When the washer starts the spin/drain cycle water starts running out from below the RV. I keep the gray water valve open unless I’m dumping the black. I’m wondering if the washer drains into the black tank.
One of the photos shows what appears to be an additional tank valve actuator that has no label on it. Another of the photos shows the normal black & gray water valves that I’m accustom to having form the last two fifth-wheels that I owned. I’ve never owned one with more than just the single gray & black tanks. But from looking at the control panel it appears that this RV may have additional tanks. There is a switch on the panel to switch between Black Bath 1 & Bath 2, I have no idea what this does since there is only one shower/toilet in the RV.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to provide as much info as possible. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks for the help,
Gentry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Valve actuator ....jpg
Views:	355
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	1458   Click image for larger version

Name:	Black & Gray water valves.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	1459   Click image for larger version

Name:	BLACK - BATH 1 & BATH 2.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	1460  

ltsllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:54 PM   #2

Nevada
Look for a valve to the Right of the Black pipe you hook your drain hose. black handle.

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:02 PM   #3

New Jersey
It would help if you told us which model of RV you have. Yes, most of the units have two grey tanks. If you have a rear bathroom, you may have a second black tank. Looks the the handle is in the open position under the pass through storage. Did you try closing it, and see what happens on the rinse cycle? I would suspect that the washer would drain into a grey, not black tank.

As eightydo said, my second grey tank release is to the right of the drain outlet. It's a pain to get to with the slide out. We have a Voltage V 3105.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:20 PM   #4

Louisiana
Thanks for the reply’s gentlemen,
Sorry about not having the RV model on the post. I’m new here and thought since I entered that info when I registered on the forum that it would show up. I’ll add to my signature. It’s a 2013 Dutchmen Infinity 3860MS.

The only valve actuators I see are the ones in the two photos. One below the pass through that is forward of the main valves shown in the other photo. I tried opening both of the black tank valves but still issues with washer drain leaking. Guess I’ll have to cut a hole in the underbelly cover to see what’s going on.

BTW, does anyone know what the “Black Bath 1” & “Bath 2” switch in the 3rd photo is for? The tank level indicator shows Black, Gray 1, Gray 2 & Gray 3 but no second black level button.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:16 PM   #5

Oklahoma
A common used switch for the toy haulers with the 1/2 bath in the garage.

The indicator level is for both tanks. Flip the switch and the level should change.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:45 PM   #6

Louisiana
Thanks sundancer 87,
I thought it may be to switch between black tank levels since there is only one black tank level button. They showed the same before I dumped today & now both show empty. I guess the washer drain goes into one of the black tanks. Sure wish I could find a diagram showing how it's all connected below.
Thanks again for the info,
Gentry
Old 09-14-2014, 12:11 AM   #7
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsllc View Post
Thanks sundancer 87,
I thought it may be to switch between black tank levels since there is only one black tank level button. They showed the same before I dumped today & now both show empty. I guess the washer drain goes into one of the black tanks. Sure wish I could find a diagram showing how it's all connected below.
Thanks again for the info,
Gentry
To the best of our knowledge there AREN'T any schematics or other useful information put out by Dutchmen. You best bet is to poke and prod and draw your own.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 02:18 PM   #8

Louisiana
Thanks wahoonc,

That's what I figured. It was easier to trace the lines out on the last two RV's. Seems like the nicer the RV, the harder it is to work on it...

I appreciate the reply's, you guys have a great forum here.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:53 PM   #9

Nevada
You probably have two grey water tanks one for bath that's in your pic, and one for the kitchen. Good chance the kitchen grey valve is near the axels on the left hand side.

Race Bikes
Brandt51 is offline   Reply With Quote