Minimum Clearance - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2016, 06:00 AM   #21

British Columbia
Personally, I would go to a spring and axle shop, that's all they do is suspension work. It should cost you less than an RV dealer and the parts they use are better than the OEM stuff.

Last fall I bought my wet bolt kit and two custom made 6K axles at the local spring shop. Saved a bundle over the dearlerships prices and the dealer was only going to supply OEM 5200# axles.

I have no faith in the work that's done at an RV dealer and there's not much that I can't do myself, it's getting down to if I want to do it.

We have a couple of independents that do outstanding work and their labor rates are $20 under the dealerships rates.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:59 AM   #22

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Personally, I would go to a spring and axle shop, that's all they do is suspension work. It should cost you less than an RV dealer and the parts they use are better than the OEM stuff.

Last fall I bought my wet bolt kit and two custom made 6K axles at the local spring shop. Saved a bundle over the dearlerships prices and the dealer was only going to supply OEM 5200# axles.

I have no faith in the work that's done at an RV dealer and there's not much that I can't do myself, it's getting down to if I want to do it.

We have a couple of independents that do outstanding work and their labor rates are $20 under the dealerships rates.
Agree 100%. The dealer replaced all four of my springs under warranty after they went "flat". Drove it home from the repair completely empty and the springs on the kitchen side went nearly flat again in only 45 miles.

Took it to the local spring shop and had another leaf added to each spring pack and an alignment. Spring shop guys claim OEM uses inexpensive Chinese steel and they use a higher quality steel. It's a big shop and the techs said they have done several toy haulers with the same problems. The unit sits 2" higher than before and the springs still have a healthy arch even when fully loaded. Haven't noticed any unwanted side effects and tows great.

I was pleased with the added 2" since I was a bit low in the rear of the trailer with every front adjustment set as low as possible without causing bed clearance issues. The rig sits level now with 5 1/2" of bed clearance.

2015 Voltage 3305, Gone for Good !
2014 Ram 3500 dually, Aisin, Gone but not Forgotten.
2018 Winnebago Sunstar 32YE
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:16 PM   #23

Texas
I really do like this site...and the people on it. All of you have given me great advice. I'm going to start by lowering the head of my hitch, but making sure I have plenty of clearance to allow for flexing. "Tiger Axles" is located next door in Shreveport, LA. so I think I will go there instead of the RV Dealer and get their opinion. In addition to whatever recommendations they might have, I will also replace all my suspension bushings. After that...if necessary, I will look into the other systems recommended by you fine folks and see where I'm at, at that point. Hopefully lowering the hitch and taking it to an axle place will resolve my issues. The more I think about it, the more I am against lowering my truck. Thanks everyone!
Great Dane #1 Harley, Great Dane #2 Trouble
(They love camping as much, if not more than we do)
Cantork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 02:38 PM   #24

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantork View Post
I really do like this site...and the people on it. All of you have given me great advice. I'm going to start by lowering the head of my hitch, but making sure I have plenty of clearance to allow for flexing. "Tiger Axles" is located next door in Shreveport, LA. so I think I will go there instead of the RV Dealer and get their opinion. In addition to whatever recommendations they might have, I will also replace all my suspension bushings. After that...if necessary, I will look into the other systems recommended by you fine folks and see where I'm at, at that point. Hopefully lowering the hitch and taking it to an axle place will resolve my issues. The more I think about it, the more I am against lowering my truck. Thanks everyone!
I think you'll be happier with the results from the axle shop, than anything the RV dealer will offer. I don't blame you for not wanting to lower the truck, it worked for the fleet guy at work, because his truck never saw anything but asphalt.

First thing you need to remember about owning a camper, it's a hole in the road that you pour money into. You need to think of a trailer as part house and part automotive. You can save a bunch of money by looking for solutions at sources other than an RV dealer.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:52 PM   #25

Texas
hddecker, words of wisdom! I am under no illusions that my RV will be inexpensive to upgrade and maintain. As my ski boat and Waverunners are holes in the water I pour money into also, I will happily pour money into a hole in the asphalt for the ultimate enjoyment I get back!
Old 08-26-2016, 07:04 PM   #26

British Columbia
I know what you mean about the enjoyment factor.

The difference between my Electraglide and the camper is having more options to keep some of my cash in my pocket. Not as many opportunities to save on the bike as there is on the camper.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:14 PM   #27

Texas
Unfortunately, I do not know the pleasure of owning a Harley, or any other bike for that matter. As much as I would like to own one, the wife says she has to put her foot down somewhere when it comes to my indulgences. lol Her main reasoning is the safety issues...in her mind. So to keep the peace, I indulge her. However, I think I am getting closer to having her convinced that we could really use a "Trike". In the meantime, we enjoy the RV, boat and Waverunners. Not to mention all the additional fun "I" have muddin on my Honda 300!
Old 08-26-2016, 09:35 PM   #28

Texas
Not a "ToyHauler", in the sense that you guys would think, but it IS my method of following in your tracks!

The difference is the Toy itself is an Adventure Bike, and the RV doesn't require any kind of axle mods.

However, my RV tires have no issue with West Texas 85MPH speed limits, and my 5000BTU air conditioner hardly even strains a Yamaha 2000 generator. I think the Espresso machine might be a bigger load.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I truly enjoy this forum. Glad yaw put up with me, so far.

2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:53 PM   #29

Texas
That is a sweet setup you got there. "Cozy" would be the word. "Have gas will travel"!
Old 08-27-2016, 10:20 PM   #30

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantork View Post
As much as I would like to own one, the wife says she has to put her foot down somewhere when it comes to my indulgences. lol Her main reasoning is the safety issues...in her mind.
Maybe she wants her own Harley? MY wife is very happy with hers!
joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 11:11 PM   #31

Texas
Could be. Lol
Old 08-28-2016, 11:31 AM   #32

Illinois
Like I keep telling my wife "size doesn't matter". You just gotta have fun.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:33 PM   #33

Texas
Lol