Landing Gear Gearbox replacement - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2016, 12:33 PM   #1

Ontario
Landing Gear Gearbox replacement

When I was lowering the fivers front landing gear last time to disconnect from the truck there was a loud snap/cracking noise after weight was starting to be picked up by the landing gear. front landing gear still works but makes loud noises when operating now, after some inspection to find the source of the noise, I have found that my landing gear drive motor flops around like a fish out of water when its operating, I can also move the motor and gear box around when not operating, this seems very odd, but not sure if it has always been this way or not. After some review of the component I have found that the motor is securely attached to the gearbox and it's the gear box that is flopping around. the internet seems to say that if your gearbox is floppy and makes noise it's an indication the gear box is going, kinda makes sense. Anyone ever had this happen???

Now the real question, there seems to be a few different type of gearboxes out there but no one seem to be able to tell me which one I have. I own a 2011 Dutchmen Denali 262 RLX. I know this might not be of any assistance as the manufactures jump around on parts they use. Anyone have experience with this and any way of determining the model/type of gearbox I have on my landing gear. I can't find any markings on the old gearbox (at least not while installed).

Next to remove the drive motor and gearbox do I need to be support the front of the fiver (with truck) or will the landing gear support the fiver even with the drive motor and gearbox removed?

Any help/input will be greatly appreciated.

2014 Ram 3500 Laramie 4X4 CTD
2011 Dutchmen Denali 262 RLX
drogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:41 PM   #2

Ontario
You need independent support. With the motor and gearbox removed your gear might collapse. It's a worm gear but I wouldn't trust it.

Oh, on my old RV, the motor and gearbox flopped around for the full seven years I had it. For a while, it would bang occasionally as the side-to-side driveshaft shear pin was in the process of shearing (it would slip occasionally before it failed).

joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:05 PM   #3

California
I agree! As it still works I would jack it as high as it will go & than put jack stands or timber under the front of the frame. Lower it down & than remove the parts needed.
Don't support it with your truck. You'll have no room to work on it plus who knows how long it will take to get the parts & do the repair.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 01:01 AM   #4

Ontario
I was thinking about taking it apart to see if I could identify the correct gearbox, does anyone know if there is a part number or some identifying feature on the gearbox to determine which replacement to order?

Old 09-26-2016, 02:37 PM   #5

New Brunswick
you can check out this site on you tube

1. Similar
raymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:19 PM   #6

Ontario
Thank you all for the reply I have watched the video and it looks like a simple task to complete. But does anyone know how to identify which gearbox you have. Or is it just by looking at it's design and ordering the one that looks the same?

Old 09-27-2016, 12:28 PM   #7

New Brunswick
Not sure I am new to 5th wheels I will look on the weekend to see if there is any marking You may want to check with Dutchmen service department you never know?
raymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 04:40 PM   #8

Ontario
I have a spare gearbox on my bench. It looks like it used to have a identifying sticker on it (on the side you can't see of course).
joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:40 PM   #9

Ontario
of course it's on the side you can't see, but I don;t think it's a hard job to take the old gearbox off just to have a look than put in back on till the new part comes in.

Thank everyone for the help please keep any new information you might have on this subject coming.