Jumping to a fifth wheel - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2015, 06:39 PM   #1

Illinois
Jumping to a fifth wheel

Hello all.
We have a 2014 Aerolite 315BHSS that we love, but new diesel truck can pull more. Looking at the Denali 365BHS. Anyone have one, thoughts?
Thank you,
Steve

sreuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:14 PM   #2

California
We love our Voltage 3800. Now that you have a new diesel you can handle the 2 baths, 3 ACs, 4 TVs, fireplace, massaging recliners, Quartz counters, etc.. Heavy, but nice if you can do it!

2015 Voltage 3800 w/ Epic IV, Int&Ext, Garage Pkgs; 8x100W Solar, 2x Xantrex C35 Charge Controllers, SW2000 Inverter & Monitor; 2005 Chevy Duramax Dually 3500 w/Banks; Kawi KFX700 & Polaris Scrambler 500 ATVs.
VCToyhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 12:28 AM   #3

Illinois
I second that statement!!!!
Old 09-13-2015, 05:06 AM   #4

British Columbia
On the other side of the coin, My neighbor down the road has just gone the other way. He has no regrets and he has his pick up box back.

Bigger is not always better. Wish I was able to go back to our tent trailer behind the Glide.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:06 AM   #5
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
On the other side of the coin, My neighbor down the road has just gone the other way. He has no regrets and he has his pick up box back.

Bigger is not always better. Wish I was able to go back to our tent trailer behind the Glide.
Been there got the T-shirt! I have been as large as a 36' fiver and as small as a pup tent. Currently running the 16' Coleman and it works for us up to a week. We are looking at trailers in the 22' range for longer trips when we retire. Don't plan to full time, just head out for a month or so at a time. Thought about a tear drop for those quick weekends to the lake, when all we do is sit around, eat and sleep. Nothing like having options.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 02:33 PM   #6

Nevada
I have gone from a Lance Truck Camper in 2000, (wish they had a slide back then) to a 26ft Trailer, then to a 32ft Montana 5th wheel, then to a 39ft Fuzion 5th wheel, and now the 43ft Voltage 5th Wheel, because we go for months at a time, and have two Lab Dogs, the Voltage fits us well, for short runs to the lake or Hunting, I went and got another Truck Camper.....We are Retired now and found that we like all the nice things when we go camping for long runs, so make sure you get the right Truck to pull the large Rv's.....Most of us have gone bigger and bigger RV's...I am lucky I found an old Truck Camper for a couple Thousand, it needed a few things, but it had everything working, Air, Heat, etc. We changed the Bed, the seating, the floor, etc. the outside looks like its been camping in the woods, a few marks from trees, but the inside is all new, and it works for short weekend camping
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 05:38 PM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNevada View Post
I have gone from a Lance Truck Camper in 2000, (wish they had a slide back then) to a 26ft Trailer, then to a 32ft Montana 5th wheel, then to a 39ft Fuzion 5th wheel, and now the 43ft Voltage 5th Wheel, because we go for months at a time, and have two Lab Dogs, the Voltage fits us well, for short runs to the lake or Hunting, I went and got another Truck Camper.....We are Retired now and found that we like all the nice things when we go camping for long runs, so make sure you get the right Truck to pull the large Rv's.....Most of us have gone bigger and bigger RV's...I am lucky I found an old Truck Camper for a couple Thousand, it needed a few things, but it had everything working, Air, Heat, etc. We changed the Bed, the seating, the floor, etc. the outside looks like its been camping in the woods, a few marks from trees, but the inside is all new, and it works for short weekend camping
How do you know when you've gone too big?

For me it started with the truck. Had a Ford F150, seemed like it took for ever to get across the Rockies towing the Airstream. I just had to have a diesel, got the Ram and off we go.

Next the talk from the other half started about how cramped the Airstream was. Off we go to the Camper store and buy a great big brick on wheels. Wow look at all the space we got now with the slides out and look at all the storeage we have. When was the last time we did a turkey in the oven? Oh never, then why do we need a roaster in the camper!

You really know you have gone too big when you harken back to the rig that seemed just right! Should have stayed with the half ton and the Airsteam.

Ain't hindsight a wonderful thing.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:18 PM   #8

Colorado
sreuss,

Well, as you probably expected...you've got more answers that you dreamed. Everyone has an opinion...

But, as I've posted before, take your time...

Make a list of the features you really want.

Make a list of the features you don't want.

Then go looking, make no decisions, but look at the 5th wheel RVs you can find around you. And see which fits your lists the best.

Come to this forum and ask questions you may have.

If you read on this forum much, you'll learn there is no such thing as a perfect RV. We've all had to deal with problems, we all complain about "quality control" during assembly. We all have things we love, and other things that drive us crazy.

Evaluate all the input, and then decide which best fits your needs.

Me and my wife, er BOSS, have a 2014 Voltage Epic 3800...I'm just about done with mods...busy this coming Winter, but then I think I'll be just about there!! and really enjoying our time out and about.

Just thoughts,

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:50 PM   #9

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
sreuss,

Well, as you probably expected...you've got more answers that you dreamed. Everyone has an opinion...

But, as I've posted before, take your time...

Make a list of the features you really want.

Make a list of the features you don't want.

Then go looking, make no decisions, but look at the 5th wheel RVs you can find around you. And see which fits your lists the best.

Come to this forum and ask questions you may have.

If you read on this forum much, you'll learn there is no such thing as a perfect RV. We've all had to deal with problems, we all complain about "quality control" during assembly. We all have things we love, and other things that drive us crazy.

Evaluate all the input, and then decide which best fits your needs.

Me and my wife, er BOSS, have a 2014 Voltage Epic 3800...I'm just about done with mods...busy this coming Winter, but then I think I'll be just about there!! and really enjoying our time out and about.

Just thoughts,

Pirate
Pirate has hit the nail on the head. Take your time, shop around and the most important part of the shopping leave your emotions at home. Don't allow the sales person to pressure you into something that you don't want or need. Remember if their lips are moving they are probably lying.
Old 09-14-2015, 01:59 PM   #10

Illinois
Well thank you all for the replies. After looking at several floor plans across different brands we have found the one that fits our family best. We bought a 2015 Sprinter 324fwbhs from Wisconsin RV World in Madison Wi. Two weekends in and it has proven to be the right choice.
Thank you all for the great advice.
Steve
Old 09-14-2015, 02:04 PM   #11

Colorado
Steve,

OK now...you owe us to keep us informed on how your new RV works out, any problems you have, mods you do to make it nicer and, of course, the great places you travel in it!!

Glad we could provide some helpful advice!!!

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 05:17 PM   #12

Illinois
Pirate, will do. Only issue so far has been getting the slider hitch to function as advertised. So far we love the extra room and fifth wheel upgrades. Very happy.
Steve
Old 09-15-2015, 05:34 PM   #13

California
With the way new 5th wheels are designed a sliding hitch shouldn't be needed. I towed these without one back in 2000-02. I just paid attention when making tight turns & never was a problem.
Click image for larger version

Name:	1998 Alumascape.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	2548

Click image for larger version

Name:	P0001404.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	2549
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:46 PM   #14

Montana
Biggest deciding factor for us is the places we go camping. We mostly boondock in national forest campgrounds and our 28 foot travel trailer was very tight in some places, impossible in some places so we actually still do some tent camping. We upgraded to a 5th wheel this summer and stuck with a 28ft length because again, it's about the maximum length we can get in and out of most of the places we go. We're not RV park folks....try to avoid those things so size is always an issue.