Jumping to a fifth wheel - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-12-2015, 06:39 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Cherry Valley
Posts: 35
Illinois
Jumping to a fifth wheel

Hello all.
We have a 2014 Aerolite 315BHSS that we love, but new diesel truck can pull more. Looking at the Denali 365BHS. Anyone have one, thoughts?
Thank you,
Steve
__________________

sreuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:14 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oxnard
Posts: 187
California
We love our Voltage 3800. Now that you have a new diesel you can handle the 2 baths, 3 ACs, 4 TVs, fireplace, massaging recliners, Quartz counters, etc.. Heavy, but nice if you can do it!
__________________

__________________
2015 Voltage 3800 w/ Epic, Int&Ext, Garage Pkgs; 4x100W Solar, Xantrex C35 Charge, SW2000 Inverter & Mon; 2005 Chevy Duramax Dually 3500 w/Banks; Kawi KFX700 & Polaris Scrambler 500 ATVs.
VCToyhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 12:28 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Plainfield
Posts: 119
Illinois
I second that statement!!!!
__________________
2009 F350 SRW 6.4 Diesel w/Spartan tuner, AFE exhaust, AFE cold air intake, Airlift 5000 ultimate bags with wireless air compressor.
2015 Voltage 3800 Epic 4 package
Pushin4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 05:06 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
hddecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: kamloops
Posts: 2,152
British Columbia
On the other side of the coin, My neighbor down the road has just gone the other way. He has no regrets and he has his pick up box back.

Bigger is not always better. Wish I was able to go back to our tent trailer behind the Glide.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:06 AM   #5
Site Team
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sprung Leak
Posts: 3,137
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
On the other side of the coin, My neighbor down the road has just gone the other way. He has no regrets and he has his pick up box back.

Bigger is not always better. Wish I was able to go back to our tent trailer behind the Glide.
Been there got the T-shirt! I have been as large as a 36' fiver and as small as a pup tent. Currently running the 16' Coleman and it works for us up to a week. We are looking at trailers in the 22' range for longer trips when we retire. Don't plan to full time, just head out for a month or so at a time. Thought about a tear drop for those quick weekends to the lake, when all we do is sit around, eat and sleep. Nothing like having options.

Aaron
__________________
There is madness to my methods
2015 Coleman CM16FBS(traded) 2016 Concord 300DS
2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 02:33 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Minden
Posts: 687
Nevada
I have gone from a Lance Truck Camper in 2000, (wish they had a slide back then) to a 26ft Trailer, then to a 32ft Montana 5th wheel, then to a 39ft Fuzion 5th wheel, and now the 43ft Voltage 5th Wheel, because we go for months at a time, and have two Lab Dogs, the Voltage fits us well, for short runs to the lake or Hunting, I went and got another Truck Camper.....We are Retired now and found that we like all the nice things when we go camping for long runs, so make sure you get the right Truck to pull the large Rv's.....Most of us have gone bigger and bigger RV's...I am lucky I found an old Truck Camper for a couple Thousand, it needed a few things, but it had everything working, Air, Heat, etc. We changed the Bed, the seating, the floor, etc. the outside looks like its been camping in the woods, a few marks from trees, but the inside is all new, and it works for short weekend camping
__________________
Rich and Angela, Lab Dogs, Ruben, Ace
2015 Voltage V3895 2006 Lance Truck Camper
2013 Chevy 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 05:38 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
hddecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: kamloops
Posts: 2,152
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNevada View Post
I have gone from a Lance Truck Camper in 2000, (wish they had a slide back then) to a 26ft Trailer, then to a 32ft Montana 5th wheel, then to a 39ft Fuzion 5th wheel, and now the 43ft Voltage 5th Wheel, because we go for months at a time, and have two Lab Dogs, the Voltage fits us well, for short runs to the lake or Hunting, I went and got another Truck Camper.....We are Retired now and found that we like all the nice things when we go camping for long runs, so make sure you get the right Truck to pull the large Rv's.....Most of us have gone bigger and bigger RV's...I am lucky I found an old Truck Camper for a couple Thousand, it needed a few things, but it had everything working, Air, Heat, etc. We changed the Bed, the seating, the floor, etc. the outside looks like its been camping in the woods, a few marks from trees, but the inside is all new, and it works for short weekend camping
How do you know when you've gone too big?

For me it started with the truck. Had a Ford F150, seemed like it took for ever to get across the Rockies towing the Airstream. I just had to have a diesel, got the Ram and off we go.

Next the talk from the other half started about how cramped the Airstream was. Off we go to the Camper store and buy a great big brick on wheels. Wow look at all the space we got now with the slides out and look at all the storeage we have. When was the last time we did a turkey in the oven? Oh never, then why do we need a roaster in the camper!

You really know you have gone too big when you harken back to the rig that seemed just right! Should have stayed with the half ton and the Airsteam.

Ain't hindsight a wonderful thing.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 06:18 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Canon City
Posts: 861
Colorado
sreuss,

Well, as you probably expected...you've got more answers that you dreamed. Everyone has an opinion...

But, as I've posted before, take your time...

Make a list of the features you really want.

Make a list of the features you don't want.

Then go looking, make no decisions, but look at the 5th wheel RVs you can find around you. And see which fits your lists the best.

Come to this forum and ask questions you may have.

If you read on this forum much, you'll learn there is no such thing as a perfect RV. We've all had to deal with problems, we all complain about "quality control" during assembly. We all have things we love, and other things that drive us crazy.

Evaluate all the input, and then decide which best fits your needs.

Me and my wife, er BOSS, have a 2014 Voltage Epic 3800...I'm just about done with mods...busy this coming Winter, but then I think I'll be just about there!! and really enjoying our time out and about.

Just thoughts,

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:50 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
hddecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: kamloops
Posts: 2,152
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
sreuss,

Well, as you probably expected...you've got more answers that you dreamed. Everyone has an opinion...

But, as I've posted before, take your time...

Make a list of the features you really want.

Make a list of the features you don't want.

Then go looking, make no decisions, but look at the 5th wheel RVs you can find around you. And see which fits your lists the best.

Come to this forum and ask questions you may have.

If you read on this forum much, you'll learn there is no such thing as a perfect RV. We've all had to deal with problems, we all complain about "quality control" during assembly. We all have things we love, and other things that drive us crazy.

Evaluate all the input, and then decide which best fits your needs.

Me and my wife, er BOSS, have a 2014 Voltage Epic 3800...I'm just about done with mods...busy this coming Winter, but then I think I'll be just about there!! and really enjoying our time out and about.

Just thoughts,

Pirate
Pirate has hit the nail on the head. Take your time, shop around and the most important part of the shopping leave your emotions at home. Don't allow the sales person to pressure you into something that you don't want or need. Remember if their lips are moving they are probably lying.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:59 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Cherry Valley
Posts: 35
Illinois
Well thank you all for the replies. After looking at several floor plans across different brands we have found the one that fits our family best. We bought a 2015 Sprinter 324fwbhs from Wisconsin RV World in Madison Wi. Two weekends in and it has proven to be the right choice.
Thank you all for the great advice.
Steve
__________________

sreuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Popular Tags
#coleman 5th wheel 12vdc power connection 255bhsl kodiak 2003 35bh 2018 atlas 3818 aerolite air conditioning alabama battery battery charging bike rack black water tank size buying cable hookup canvas charge controller coleman condensation converter denali lights diagrams drain dutchmen dutchmen classic 28bh electric conversion elyectrical floor four winds frame fresh water tank furnace gen hot water heater hydraulic interior international inverter inverter kodiak lippert lost voltage panel modification pilot. sway presidential rain ram 3500 recommended refrigerator repair replace replacement roof build rubicon sandwich floor sensot slide out solar stove structural fault switch t@da tank guage thermostat tires toyhauler toyhauler dust rampdoor tub water heater wiring diagram
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Dutchmen RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT. The time now is 06:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.