Initial shakedown and impressions 3750FL - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2013, 02:21 AM   #1

New Mexico
Initial shakedown and impressions 3750FL

Well we traded in our toy hauler and picked up the 3750. Initial impression is that the build quality is better but still lacking at this price point. Issues discovered so far:

Slam latch wrong key to lock
Convection and microwave dometic unit has F-5 fault
Lock cylinder for front door pulled out with key
Stripped window crank
Refer trim messed up-i fixed
No multi remote for awning door slide etc.
Remote key fob and keypad inop
Two outside scare lights inop and one cover blew off and is missing
Shower leaks onto floor.

Love the floor plan, hot water works as well as the auto leveling. Not sure about the AC but the heater works and the front fireplace is very nice with the heat output.

72mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:00 AM   #2

Saskatchewan
Nice Unit

I just did the sales pitch video on this 3750FL and have to comment on the nice trailer you have there. I showed my DW and she told me that I can't have one because with three tv's I'd never get anything done.

2013 Timber Ridge, 2013 GMC Sierra 6.2 L
kayakcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #3

New Mexico

We still have to add the another AC unit but did some asking prior to picking this unit up on where it should go. I've seen them installed in the front end however this unit has the AC power setup in the kitchen area for a ducted unit. Just not sure of that's enough to keep the front end cool in the hot climate of Las Vegas.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #4

Illinois
wow thats a big ole rig you got there very nice. i could live in that monster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! las vegas woo hoo elvis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
flyingdutchmen0625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:26 AM   #5

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72mach View Post
Well we traded in our toy hauler and picked up the 3750. Initial impression is that the build quality is better but still lacking at this price point. Issues discovered so far:

Slam latch wrong key to lock
Convection and microwave dometic unit has F-5 fault
Lock cylinder for front door pulled out with key
Stripped window crank
Refer trim messed up-i fixed
No multi remote for awning door slide etc.
Remote key fob and keypad inop
Two outside scare lights inop and one cover blew off and is missing
Shower leaks onto floor.

Love the floor plan, hot water works as well as the auto leveling. Not sure about the AC but the heater works and the front fireplace is very nice with the heat output.
I cannot speak for the other issues. As for the shower leaking. Does it leak while your taking a shower? Does the water run on the floor during the shower or after you come out?
The reason I'm asking is, that in our case, we realized it was not the shower leaking. When we opened the door and left it open while drying off the inside of the door was running onto the floor. We'd close the the door and it looked as if the water had come from beneath the shower unit and run across the floor.
Now, after taking a shower we open the door briefly to grab a towel. Dry off in the shower and then come out and close the door. Problem solved in our case.
We found this out by process of elimination before I was to take it in for warranty.
Hope, this helps for one issue anyway.
Nice coach!!! What size is your tow vehicle?

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:10 AM   #6

New Mexico
The shower was leaking while taking a shower and it looks like it was leaking from a faulty door seal or a panel seal as it leaked while my wife was taking a shower. Ive have a unit leak from underneath and also had a faulty seal, the leak from underneath came from a cracked shower joint on the faucet and it also needed to be caulked again on all the joints.

Thanks for the ideas and the truck is an 09 F350. It tows well but the fuel economy is lacking!
Old 03-17-2013, 06:17 AM   #7

Washington
Shower and AC

In our Infinity, we had the same experience as Dave and Patty with the water dripping off the open shower door. We now place a nice absorbent foot rug outside of the shower which takes care of the issue. Speaking of the shower, under the warranty, I had Dutchmen replace the rusting screws in the metal door frame foot plate with stainless steel screws. Took care of the rust problem.

In our rig, I have the 2nd AC unit that was factory installed in the mid-coach foyer/kitchen area. Last summer, I was not overly impressed with the amount of cooled air that was ducted into the bedroom through the wooden slits in wooden overhead panel. Under warranty (Dutchmen gave us an extra year due to our bedroom slide self-distructing last season) I am going to have them check if ducts are aligned properly and also request that they cut some more slits openings to permit better flow. Not so much an issue up here in Washington but I would be concerned if I was spending summer in the southwest. Looking forward towards heading to the coast next month. Congrats on your new rig!

Mark
Dogrunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:58 AM   #8

Indiana
Shower

72mach,

Just thought I'd give you our experience on something that turned out to be nothing. Wish that would have been the case for you.
Boy, that stinks when its got to do with a water seal.
Thanks for the info on your truck.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Old 03-17-2013, 09:34 AM   #9

Indiana
Shower & AC Dogrunr

Mark,

That's interesting on the two rusting screws on the foot plate of the shower door. I had the same problem......thought they just threw in anything when they ran outta s/s screws. Apparently, they placed two screws in there that would rust in my coach and yours. I had run down to the local big box store and replaced them. Everytime my rig was in the shop I'd forget to have them replace the screws. Anybody else out there with rusting threshold shower door screws.

How about that bedroom slide..............what went wrong with that? We've had issues with ours in the past. We feel pretty comfortable with ours, now. I'm real interested to here about that slide.

We also, had an issue with our galley slide rubbing on the floor. Come to find out it was the wood stile below the refrigerator that was too low. They removed it and shaved 1/2" off the bottom. Works great, now.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Old 03-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #10
Chapter Director

Send a message via Skype™ to gonervn
Ohio
Our shower wasn't caulked at one end and it all ran to the front. That was an easy fix. Our AC is mounter in the front. I had a unit that was mounted in the kitchen area and it never was enough to cool the bedroom. Especially when it got real hot.
Findlay, Oh.
gonervn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #11

Texas
I have a 2012 Komfort 3650 which is the same floor plan as the Infinity 3750, I have the front living and have cut additional slots in the upper trim, but the unit still got extremely hot in july last year in the Carolinas in the front living area. we had to use a tower fan to move the a/c air from the kitchen area fwd to the front living. closing the vents on the a/c unit in the kitchen did not help with the air flow to the front living. I think the a/c unit mounted in the front section would do better than in the kitchen area.
aapcon131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #12

Michigan
Our Voltage has the dual-ducted A/C's, front one mounted in the bedroom. It has sliding closures, (is that the right word?), on the bottom that can be opened or closed to send the airflow into the bedroom or into the ductwork. Only thing I don't like about that setup is the noise the front unit makes. It will wake me up every time it turns on. We have settled on leaving the doors open between the living/bedroom areas and just run the living area unit at night.
Just have to balance the cool/noise factor.

Some great ideas on this thread, now I have more mods to do when we get home. Thank's alot!!!
Two Harleys
Aronious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:13 AM   #13

Washington
Bedroom Slide

To Infinityrver and all,

LIke some others who have posted on this site, last season we had a pretty unpleasant experience with the Schwintech slde system that operates our bedroom silde. Essentially, the slide was either installied and off track/alignment at installation or after multiple uses the slide failed while we were camping. I first noticed the problem after finding all the slide frame screws pulled out from the side wall of the trailer. After a week of camping, when we tried to pull in the slide, it came in diagonally requiring me to forcefully push in it after repeated attempts. The bad news is that the slide kept sliding out while the trailer was in motion on the windiing road -US 101! I called my dealer and using the advice from a knowledgible service tech, I managed to brace the slide closed from the inside using a combination of the tube tire jack from my Ford truck and plastic leveler blocks. Amazingly, the Schwinteck slide motors actually pulled out/dismounted from inside the wall! The good news is that after contacting Dutchmen they transported my rig to their Kustom factory in Oregon and repaired/replaced the slide. They also gave me another year of factory warranty because I was not a happy camper having to cancel the last trip I had planned for the season. Checking on-line, it seems that that several RV brands are having problems with the Schwintech slides. I will be watching closely this coming season. I realize that I purchased a new brand and model and that design bugs may need to be worked out. I truly enjoyed my previous Grand Junction, hopefully Dutchmen will continue to stand behind their product. Fortunately, I also purchased an extended service contact that includes slide repairs.

Mark
Old 03-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #14

Indiana
Mark & Susan,

WOW!!!! That's quite an experience to go through. Hopefully, that just had to do with loose nuts and bolts that weren't tightened to begin with. And it won't happen again. That's quite a slide to be pushing in by hand, let alone that it is higher (off the ground) then the other two when pushing.
The trouble with our slide was that it would not go in all the way. Both motors would just stop as if they were done. The slide would be out two inches from the wall. They finally got it straightened out. Now, it works fine. Minor compared to your experience.
Although, I did not experience what you went through I am watching whats going on with schwintech slides.
My wife and I were apprehensive about purchasing something in its first year of production. Just for these reasons.
Good luck to us both.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Old 03-19-2013, 04:40 AM   #15

New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by aapcon131 View Post
I have a 2012 Komfort 3650 which is the same floor plan as the Infinity 3750, I have the front living and have cut additional slots in the upper trim, but the unit still got extremely hot in july last year in the Carolinas in the front living area. we had to use a tower fan to move the a/c air from the kitchen area fwd to the front living. closing the vents on the a/c unit in the kitchen did not help with the air flow to the front living. I think the a/c unit mounted in the front section would do better than in the kitchen area.
what btu is your kitchen unit and was the AC already in place? on ours its prewired for the kitchen ducted but I have no idea about the front living area. the only thing there is a cheap air vent and not even a powered cheap fan.

I've seen ac units in the front and on two other models this weekend they were ducted from the kitchen and had skylights in the living area where we have the cheap vent which would make it easier to install a non ducted if power is there like in the mid section (kitchen)

thanks!
Old 03-19-2013, 04:43 AM   #16

New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogrunr View Post
To Infinityrver and all,

LIke some others who have posted on this site, last season we had a pretty unpleasant experience with the Schwintech slde system that operates our bedroom silde. Essentially, the slide was either installied and off track/alignment at installation or after multiple uses the slide failed while we were camping. I first noticed the problem after finding all the slide frame screws pulled out from the side wall of the trailer. After a week of camping, when we tried to pull in the slide, it came in diagonally requiring me to forcefully push in it after repeated attempts. The bad news is that the slide kept sliding out while the trailer was in motion on the windiing road -US 101! I called my dealer and using the advice from a knowledgible service tech, I managed to brace the slide closed from the inside using a combination of the tube tire jack from my Ford truck and plastic leveler blocks. Amazingly, the Schwinteck slide motors actually pulled out/dismounted from inside the wall! The good news is that after contacting Dutchmen they transported my rig to their Kustom factory in Oregon and repaired/replaced the slide. They also gave me another year of factory warranty because I was not a happy camper having to cancel the last trip I had planned for the season. Checking on-line, it seems that that several RV brands are having problems with the Schwintech slides. I will be watching closely this coming season. I realize that I purchased a new brand and model and that design bugs may need to be worked out. I truly enjoyed my previous Grand Junction, hopefully Dutchmen will continue to stand behind their product. Fortunately, I also purchased an extended service contact that includes slide repairs.

Mark
I noticed one corner of the schwintech slide didn't want to close and seal like the other corners. its close, but the rubber cushion gasket does not seal against the trailer wall so perhaps a half inch or so gap. not sure what to do.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:42 AM   #17

Washington
Slide alignment

72mach,

If you have not already done so, I would run the slide in and out a couple times. If you still have the gap, I would have it checked and adjusted/aligned next time you have it in for service/repair. My impression is that since the Schwintechs are a newer slide system, not all the techs know how to adjust/repair them. I would check with your service provider they have been trained on them. My major slide repair went to the Kustom (Dutchmen) 5th wheel factory three hours drive (Portland OR. area) from where I dropped it at a authorized warranty dealer(Gig Harbor WA.) Dutchmen took care of the transportation.

I like my rig but I will be keeping an eye on the two Schwintech slides.

Mark
Old 03-19-2013, 08:37 AM   #18

Indiana
Aronious,

Question. How many BTU's is the a/c in your bedroom. We're on the fence as to placing an a/c unit in our bedroom.

To 72mach,

Like Dogrunr says you can try running your slide back and fourth a couple of times to try to get it to align with the wall. When I traveled from Maine to Florida my bedroom slide had just come from the shop. All was good. I arrived in Florida and had an alignment issue. I could see a difference when I slid the slide out. I slid the slide back and fourth several times. When I slid the slide the last time I literally pushed with both hands, on the side that was out the most, and was able to apply just enough pressure to help align the slide.
We're heading back to Maine shortly and I moved the bedroom slide in to check alignment before I leave.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Old 03-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #19

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72mach View Post
what btu is your kitchen unit and was the AC already in place? on ours its prewired for the kitchen ducted but I have no idea about the front living area. the only thing there is a cheap air vent and not even a powered cheap fan.

I've seen ac units in the front and on two other models this weekend they were ducted from the kitchen and had skylights in the living area where we have the cheap vent which would make it easier to install a non ducted if power is there like in the mid section (kitchen)

thanks!
Both A/C units in the Komfort 3650 are 15K BTU and yes it was already mounted in the kitchen area, and one in the bedroom area with two controls, Bedroom control is mounted on kitchen wall, Kitchen control mounted on front living wall.I also have the useless vent up front and have got a fantastic fan to install there as soon as I can find a power source. ceiling/roof is foam filled except for channels for lighting/wires 12V, hope this helps
aapcon131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #20

Michigan
Bedroom is 13.5k BTU & 150dba, at least that's what it sounds like to me when it kicks on in the middle of the night.

Our slides pop and snap like they are busting the teeth off! Causes me to grit mine every time their run in or out!

Two Harleys
Aronious is offline   Reply With Quote