Infinity 3750 AC - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #1

New Mexico
Infinity 3750 AC

Hello All!

First post and its about the AC setup for the 3750. My wife and I put down a deposit and are trading in a unit for a 'new' left over 2012 and should be picking it up NLT mid March. It comes with the 15k AC unit only and I would like to add the second unit as we reside in Las Vegas. Ive done some research and have seen where the second unit is listed as non ducted and others listed as ducted hence my confusion. We didnt actually see the unit we are buying yet however have gone through one and it had the second unit up front in the living area and after seeing pictures on line of some with the AC in the living area it seems like they are non ducted but where are the controls for the unit? I take it it should be pre wired for another AC unit in the living room area and should I look at a 15k or 13.5K ducted or non ducted unit? My other two RVs never had ducted AC units so this ducted concept is new to me. Thanks.

72mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #2

Indiana
Hello and welcome to the forum.

I'm not all that familiar with forward living units. I know that my 3850RL (rear living) unit is opposite of yours.

I have one air conditioner ducted throughout the ceiling. It starts in the rear of the trailer (living room area) and moves up through and finally ends in our bedroom.

We have an area in the center of the trailer where there is a vent hole and wiring prep for a second unit that can be adapted to the existing duct work. We have a combination digital thermostat that is dual zone. At this time it only has to operate a single zone; ie, air and furnace.

We can also, place a third unit in our bedroom, where your living is. Our bedroom is not prepped for wiring or duct work.

As with anything retrofitting can be done. If we needed the extra air unit in the bedroom I would probably install a non-ducted unit.

A non-ducted unit operates like a window mounted unit in your home. There is no duct work attached. In your unit it would be mounted where a top vent is and an electrical wire would be tapped somewhere in the ceiling. All the controls are on the unit itself.

It's all about what your needs and financial economics are depending upon what you add for additional air units.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:53 AM   #3

Washington
Ducted AC not that great

Like Dave and Patty, we also have the front bedroom in our Infinity 3850RL. I do have the second AC unit that was factory installed in the central wired location and it is "ducted" into the bedroom through a wooden overhead panel with narrow slits. We do get some air in there but not like I used to with the non-ducted AC in the front bedroom I had my old Grand Junction. There are a couple posts on this site about modifying the wood panel AC vents by cutting additional slits which I may end up doing if I ever head south to warmer climes. My understanding is that the Infinity front kitchen models also use the overhead wooden panel slit vents. If it was my rig, I would suggest going with the unducted model especially if you are going to spend time in the SW or SE during the summer months.

Mark
Dogrunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #4

Indiana
Mark (Dogrunr),

Did you happen to get a heat pump strip in that second air unit? Just curious.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Old 02-20-2013, 01:31 AM   #5

Washington
2nd AC

The factory installed 2nd AC that came with my unit was the trim line cool only model. One nice thing about using the factory configuration that both ACs are controlled by the dual zone climate control panel.

Mark
Old 02-20-2013, 12:58 PM   #6

New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le51a View Post
Mark (Dogrunr),

Did you happen to get a heat pump strip in that second air unit? Just curious.
We havent purchased the AC unit yet but thats a good point. I thought buying one with a heat pump. Even thought about moving the factory 15k unit up front and putting a 15k heat pump unit in its place if that would heat the trailer better than having the heat pump unit up front where the fireplace is already which provides some heat.

Just so I understand correctly, there is a second pre wired spot in the front end and the thermostat to control it is the same one for the ducted unit? Also where its prewired for power there should be the wires for the thermostat?

Thanks
Old 02-20-2013, 03:12 PM   #7

Indiana
Re: 3750 AC

72Mach,

Is the air unit in the bedroom or, mid position in coach, at the moment?
The heat pump is a heat strip (5000BTU) that is installed in an existing air unit or factory installed when purchasing an air/heat pump unit.
Do you have a dual climate control thermostat on the wall?
Remember that the dealer where this is located will usually be able to give you the info that your looking for. You'll be able to take information that Mark and I have given and make an informed decision. At least they won't be able to BS you.
I've had different dealers that didn't know and BSed.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Old 02-21-2013, 01:22 AM   #8

New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le51a View Post
72Mach,

Is the air unit in the bedroom or, mid position in coach, at the moment?
The heat pump is a heat strip (5000BTU) that is installed in an existing air unit or factory installed when purchasing an air/heat pump unit.
Do you have a dual climate control thermostat on the wall?
Remember that the dealer where this is located will usually be able to give you the info that your looking for. You'll be able to take information that Mark and I have given and make an informed decision. At least they won't be able to BS you.
I've had different dealers that didn't know and BSed.
I hope that they will give the information without any BS so thats why I thought to ask the question and come prepared with the knowledge from you folks. Ive seen the units with a heat strip option but I thought the heat pump units were a different animal.

Coleman HP2 Heat Pump 15000 btu RV Roof Air Conditioner Complete ..

Coleman RV Camper Roof Air Conditioner AC Heat Strip Add - on - $..
Old 02-21-2013, 05:00 AM   #9

Washington
Angry 2nd AC in the 3850RL

The 2nd factory installed AC in our 3850RL is installed in the mid-coach position directly overhead as you walk in the door and head for the fridge. The electronic LED climate control panel mounted on the wall to your right has "dip switch" settings inside that can be owner set to reflect the new configuration when you add another AC unit. Who ever does your AC install can re-configure you climate control panel but the instructions are in the climate panel manual that came with the coach. I have had to re-set the climate control once so that's where I came across the configuration change directions. The climate panel manual can also be found on-line because my first copy got eaten by mice.

Also, I am assuming there is a second wiring harness with climate panel connection plugs in the mid coach factory location for the 2nd AC. If you do decide to go with the bedroom AC location, perhaps your tech may be able to extend the wiring so you can still use the dual zone features.

Mark
Old 03-26-2013, 12:55 AM   #10

New Mexico
Well out unit that we finally have is prewired for the AC in the center of the coach (kitchen) and would be ducted. The front end (living room) has the 14" opening with a cheap vent making it being easy to put one there but I don't see the junction box for the pre wire like in the kitchen and the electrical panel only lists the pre wire for the second AC unit so I'm pretty sure there isn't any wires going to the front. We looked at three or four FL plans from Infinity and it seemed like 3/4th of them had the AC unit in the living area vs. the kitchen. So is Adventure RV the best place to get the AC? Also since its pre wired how difficult would the ducted installation be? Thanks.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:06 PM   #11

Texas
I have borescoped all the lights in the fwd living on my 3650 FFL and have found that the entire roof section is styrofoam with cut out slots for the wiring that goes to each light. There is no power source in any of those locations as the power is controlled thru the wall switch. I have a Fantastic fan I would like to install in place of the plastic vent there now. Trying to figure how to get a power source up to the vent area now.
aapcon131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:04 PM   #12

New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by aapcon131 View Post
I have borescoped all the lights in the fwd living on my 3650 FFL and have found that the entire roof section is styrofoam with cut out slots for the wiring that goes to each light. There is no power source in any of those locations as the power is controlled thru the wall switch. I have a Fantastic fan I would like to install in place of the plastic vent there now. Trying to figure how to get a power source up to the vent area now.
I would like to do the same since it appears there is no connections for the AC. Like yours, mine appears to be solid foam too as I've pulled vent apart on the inside and its encased in foam.