Dutchmen Infinity Quality - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #1

Quebec
Dutchmen Infinity Quality

I am a new member of the Owner's Group and have been reading some of the comments from other Dutchmen owners - not very encouraging! I have a 2012 Infinity 3640RL that I bought new this spring near Montreal Quebec. We love the layout and the quality of the equipment (eg. double fridge, AC units, fireplace, plumbing fixtures, etc) and cabinetry. There have been, however, a number of quality control issues with it - most of which I have fixed myself. Examples: air and water leaks around the bottoms of the slides due to poorly installed weather stripping, ground fault in the electrical system due to water in an electrical box under the dining room slide, metal covering the upper cooling coils of the fridge not allowing for proper cooling, sliding door to bathroom rubbing at bottom needed adjustment, one tail light not working due to a wiring problem, one speaker of the surround sound system not connected, etc. It took me a while to understand the dual zone air conditioning. Bottom line is that it works great but getting a lot of cooling to the bedroom is difficult. Although I have not done it, this situation might be improved by blocking the air ducts on each side of the front AC unit so it pushes most of its output forward towards the bedroom.

The biggest problem we have had and that we are following up with the dealer about is the roof. On each side of the roof, under the rubber membrane, there are fasteners of some kind (they look like staples) that are starting to protrude up under the membrane. Eventually these will puncture the rubber. So far, the dealer has hammered the staples down using a wooden mallet and has installed about a 3-inch wide band of rubber roof repair material down the entire length of the trailer on each side, above the area where the staples are protruding. I am not convinced that this will work long-term and am watching it carefully. Has anyone else had this problem and, if so, how was it fixed and how did your dealer/Dutchmen respond?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

2012 GMC 2500HD Diesel
kevinmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:39 PM   #2

Quebec
Re: Dutchmen Infinity Quality

Although the lack of comments on my roof problem indicates that this is not a common issue, here is what appears (hopefully) to be the solution:
The dealer consulted with the manufacturer and determined that the staples used along each side of the roof under the membrane were too short to bite properly into the wood underneath. The membrane was lifted, the old staples removed and replaced with longer ones, a protective tape was applied over them and the membrane was reattached. I am cautiously optimistic that this will resolve the problem.

2012 GMC 2500HD Diesel
Old 09-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
Community Founder

Re: Dutchmen Infinity Quality

Glad to hear the dealer was able to repair. Hope all goes well.
eRVm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #4

Texas
We have a 2013 Infinity. We got it last year and it's been it;s been in the shop more then we got to use it. Now with that said I don't know if it's Camping World or Dutchman giving us the problems. But the one thing I do know is that I would never own a Duchman agan. Or buy from Camping World agan. Here is just a few of the problems we have had. Fwd ac replace slides leaking broken cabnet (the one around the oven) leaking gray water lines , basement flooding from the potable water hook up line , convetion oven not working , slide cutting in to the floor. There is more but that is just the high lites. This is our 3rd rv so it's not like we are new to this. But ever time we go on a trip it's something. Now it's been in the shop for 3 mo. So I call the CEO of Camping World and gave them a peace of my mind. I got a phone call from the dealer and now they are telling me that Dutchman does not have the trim for the broken cabnet. Now this is a 2013 and and they don't have repair parts! So I guess I need to call Dutchman and find out if it's is true or it Camping World blowing smoke agan.So if you are having problems let me know.
Russell
tripmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #5

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripmaker View Post
We have a 2013 Infinity. We got it last year and it's been it;s been in the shop more then we got to use it. Now with that said I don't know if it's Camping World or Dutchman giving us the problems. But the one thing I do know is that I would never own a Duchman agan. Or buy from Camping World agan. Here is just a few of the problems we have had. Fwd ac replace slides leaking broken cabnet (the one around the oven) leaking gray water lines , basement flooding from the potable water hook up line , convetion oven not working , slide cutting in to the floor. There is more but that is just the high lites. This is our 3rd rv so it's not like we are new to this. But ever time we go on a trip it's something. Now it's been in the shop for 3 mo. So I call the CEO of Camping World and gave them a peace of my mind. I got a phone call from the dealer and now they are telling me that Dutchman does not have the trim for the broken cabnet. Now this is a 2013 and and they don't have repair parts! So I guess I need to call Dutchman and find out if it's is true or it Camping World blowing smoke agan.So if you are having problems let me know.
Russell
My wife and I have been where you are. I can't blame for being upset and angry. You pay all the money and this is what you get.

Get in contact with Dutchmen (via email) and explain what your going through. Dutchmen may have a file on warranty issues through your Vin number already. A person from Dutchmen will help you through these issues. If the dealer isn't any help they will give you a list of other dealers that can help you.

The contact information is on Dutchmen Infinity Website.

Good luck,

Dave

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #6

Texas
Thank you very much! I just got off the phone with them and Chad is who I talk with is calling Camping World. I worked in service for 20 yrs. and never seen such bad service. If it's not lies it badd repairs. I guess it's like you said they got your money and that's where it ends.
Thanks maybe we will see you guys on the road.
Russell & Kim
Old 02-28-2013, 10:57 PM   #7

Indiana
Tripmaker,

Glad to have been of assistance to another RVer. Not to mention another Infinity Rver.

Just outa curiousity, what floor plan do you have?

I'm flying back down to Florida next week where my coach is. I came home for a two week work related stint. My wife and I will stay down in Florida through the better part of the month. Then bring 'er home to Maine for the 3 seasons.

If you have any questions, anytime, just ask.

Good Luck,

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Old 03-01-2013, 07:50 AM   #8

New Mexico
I thought I read on either this forum or another about a Infinity owner having a similar slide issue. I hope that your situation is resolved to your satisfaction and when we take delivery there isn't any big surprises since we are full timers.

Rest assured I will do a write up good, bad or otherwise.
72mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #9

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmiles View Post
Although the lack of comments on my roof problem indicates that this is not a common issue, here is what appears (hopefully) to be the solution:
The dealer consulted with the manufacturer and determined that the staples used along each side of the roof under the membrane were too short to bite properly into the wood underneath. The membrane was lifted, the old staples removed and replaced with longer ones, a protective tape was applied over them and the membrane was reattached. I am cautiously optimistic that this will resolve the problem.
Hey Kevin:
Got to ask, how are your repairs coming along and holding up. We are thinking about the infinity brand, however some of the threads I have read about quality and customer care and service seems a lot lacking.

Rick Galant
GOLDENYEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #10

California
We have had some issues that seem to be quality control issues our dealer Happy Daze RV have been wonderful. Even with an extended warranty some repairs were not covered. We have however learned over the years that any RV seems to shake it self apart just riding down the rough roads of our great country! Over all our Dutchman is loved and cared for. This is our first fifth wheel but our 5th overall RV. Dealer really makes any of the repair experience better we try to go to smaller mom n pop shops to get what we feel is better service. I have yet to hear any good words about camping worlds repair experience.
Vcbinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:51 PM   #11

Quebec
Reply to Rick & Debbie..... Hi,

I just saw your post. The repairs to my Infinity roof are holding up well. Just returned from over 4 months in the southern US where we put at least 6000 miles on the Infinity and we are very happy with it. There have been some minor issues but nothing that couldn't be fixed with normal 'handy-man' skills. I have come to believe there is no perfect RV brand. Personal satisfaction with any has much to do with good luck, quality of your dealer and ability to fix the small things yourself. Hope this helps with your decision process.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:00 AM   #12

Michigan
Kevin:

Thanks for your reply and I hope all continues well with your rig. I sure do like the front living layout by the way. How is the air conditiong in the front half of the coach up there in the living room. Just wondered how that ducting worked out in the wood arch way.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #13

Quebec
My unit is not a front living room model (it's a 3640RL), but there could be some concerns about the AC effectiveness up front. Our bedroom us up there are the AC is not that strong. There are some other comments on this website about air conditioning upstairs but here are my thoughts. Although I have 2 AC units, the front one is actually located above the kitchen area. From what I have observed, the 2 AC units feed into a common duct system - ie. both air conditioners push air through the whole trailer although most of their output goes closest to where they are located. I believe it would be possible to block the ducts between the 2 AC units so all their output is forced either to the front or the back.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:59 AM   #14

New Mexico
I went with another 15k non ducted AC unit in the kitchen area. I am hoping that going with a non ducted 15k model it will cool the front end much better especially if I use the ceiling fan to help push the cooler air.

I wish I could have put the AC unit in the living area as a non ducted unit but there wasn't any power for it. In the kitchen area there is the power and the temp sensor connection however the data or 'communication' cable from the zone 1 (bedroom) AC unit doesn't appear to be there. Has anyone added another unit and found the cable or did you have to add it to work with the CCC2 thermostat?
72mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:28 AM   #15

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmiles View Post
My unit is not a front living room model (it's a 3640RL), but there could be some concerns about the AC effectiveness up front. Our bedroom us up there are the AC is not that strong. There are some other comments on this website about air conditioning upstairs but here are my thoughts. Although I have 2 AC units, the front one is actually located above the kitchen area. From what I have observed, the 2 AC units feed into a common duct system - ie. both air conditioners push air through the whole trailer although most of their output goes closest to where they are located. I believe it would be possible to block the ducts between the 2 AC units so all their output is forced either to the front or the back.
Kevin,

I believe your thoughts are correct. Our floor plan bears a resemblance to your rig.
I have not been all that keen on placing the second unit in the kitchen area. Due to same reason you have.
If my wife and I feel that we need it we will add the air conditioner in the bedroom. It will be self contained.
At that time we will probably try to find out how we can deadend the air ducts flowing to the bedroom. As you are asking.
We do get okay air going into the bathroom, now. Our biggest issue is that the ceiling arch of the bedroom restricts the ductwork in the bedroom.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Old 08-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #16

Texas
Well I'mm back form work ( I work in South Amerca) and the last time I use our RV the slides are still not working. The last time it was in the shop they had it for 3 mos. I have desided to take it to a diffent repair center. Other then Camping World. I' been told by other RVers that they have had bad dealing with them as well. As for the AC I have two one in the living and one in the bedroom. The one in the bedroom just blowes in the bedrroom. The only bad thing is it is loud but after a night or two it does not bother me anymore. LOL. We are starting to look for a pusher not for sure what yet..
Well be safe and have fun.
Russell & Kim
Old 08-09-2013, 06:26 PM   #17

Texas
As noted in previous posts I have a 3650 FFL, front living, with two 15k A/C units, one in the bedroom which gets freezing cold and the other in the Kitchen, I close the bottom vents on this unit and the air flow to the front living area gets better, not great but better. The discharge slots do not seen to have enough volume even after I cut two additional slots higher as the bottom two were closed off by the ceiling beam. It is just a poor design by Dutchman and they seem not to care about those with this configuration as they are installing a single unit in the Infinity with front living section with a flow thru the entire unit.
AP
aapcon131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:46 AM   #18

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by aapcon131 View Post
As noted in previous posts I have a 3650 FFL, front living, with two 15k A/C units, one in the bedroom which gets freezing cold and the other in the Kitchen, I close the bottom vents on this unit and the air flow to the front living area gets better, not great but better. The discharge slots do not seen to have enough volume even after I cut two additional slots higher as the bottom two were closed off by the ceiling beam. It is just a poor design by Dutchman and they seem not to care about those with this configuration as they are installing a single unit in the Infinity with front living section with a flow thru the entire unit.
AP
aapcon131, Have you by chance taken down the cover on your front air unit? I took mine down just to see how things were ducted,

In my unit the return air entered the air box via the two openings on either side of the front of the unit. In my air unit it is the opening with all of the little holes and the air filters. However the return air is also entering the air box via the 4 round ceiling vents as well as the two lot vents cut into the wood in the living room.

The only vents for the supply or cold air to exit the air box is the "waterfall or quick chill vent and the four vents located in the airbox cover. One would think that the supply air would also discharge through the round vents as well, however that cannot happen because there is not a proper baffle between the return air and the the runs connected to the round vents.

Put another way the return air and the ducts containing the round vents are common to each other rather than being common to the cold supply air coming from the air unit. If I could figure out how to post some pictures I would.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #19

Texas
You have something amiss with your unit mine pulls the return air thru the same area but the air flow goes thru the round ducts in the kitchen ceiling and also thru the slots in the wood panel over the entrance to the front living area, it also goes thru the plenum to the back of the unit
AP
aapcon131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:01 PM   #20

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by aapcon131 View Post
You have something amiss with your unit mine pulls the return air thru the same area but the air flow goes thru the round ducts in the kitchen ceiling and also thru the slots in the wood panel over the entrance to the front living area, it also goes thru the plenum to the back of the unit
AP
I wish I knew how to get my pics to post. I could send you an email with what I have and yes, something is amiss. I took it back to the dealer for them to address and they said some one had taped off the duct work so they cleared that. They also said everything else was working as it should. So now I have cold air coming from the
two supply vents by the stove, just outside the bathroom, the two in the bathroom and the two in the bedroom. Before the rear air supplied just the bathroom and bedroom.

The folks from Du

tchmen have offered to pick up my rig, do the proper repairs and bring it back. cant ask for anything more.