Dutchman classic landing gear trouble - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2018, 02:07 AM   #1

Missouri
Dutchman classic landing gear trouble

I went to hook up my camper today and noticed only one side of my landing gear was lifting. Side nearest the motor wont go up or down. Any ideas?

ymurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 03:47 AM   #2

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymurf View Post
I went to hook up my camper today and noticed only one side of my landing gear was lifting. Side nearest the motor wont go up or down. Any ideas?
Dealt with this issue continously on my Denahli. Inside the top of the square landing gear tube under the worm gear there is a roll pin that holds the beveled gear on top of the inner square tube. This pin would always shear on my gear because it carries the weight of the entire assembly, my 2 miles of washboard dirt road were tough on that gear and roll pins.

The side with the motor is harder to get into to replace that roll pin but it is do-able. Stay hitched up to support the weight and you have to remove the motor but you can do it.

Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:28 AM   #3

Missouri
I got it apart and the pin was sheared.But the gears also look like crap. Was going to order a rebuild kit but I see there are several different brands. I have no idea what brand landing gear I have. Does anyone know how to tell or what Dutchmem classic 27' used?
ymurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:38 AM   #4

Florida
I am not a hundred percent positive but chances are pretty good it is made by LCI.

As a solution for the problem that causes a shear pin to break, what I finally did was took a cargo strap and wrapped it underneath the foot and took the weight off of the foot (take the vertical slop out of landing gear) going down the bouncy roads, worked great, never had another shear pain after that.

Good luck.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 01:58 AM   #5

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
I am not a hundred percent positive but chances are pretty good it is made by LCI.

As a solution for the problem that causes a shear pin to break, what I finally did was took a cargo strap and wrapped it underneath the foot and took the weight off of the foot (take the vertical slop out of landing gear) going down the bouncy roads, worked great, never had another shear pain after that.

Good luck.
Very interesting
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote