Dual batteries or single - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2013, 12:25 AM   #1

Indiana
Dual batteries or single

Finally, as time is going on, I'm getting my rig straightened out. So, its time to discuss traveling issues.

Last year when the DW & I travelled to and from Florida we stopped at either truck stops or Wallyworlds. During that time of running the 12 volt electricity items, we noticed that the battery wore down over night. Running things like a few lights in the bathroom, kitchen, and bedroom. Also, ran the furnace to keep warm. The blower runs a considerable amount. I would run the battery down so that I couldn't bring in the bedroom slide without jumping the battery.

The battery that came with the rig is a 24NC. No deep cycle on this one. I've noticed that on other sites such as, Redwood their
recommending two deep cycle batteries. I believe its so that the inverter won't have to run so much.

Does anyone have an opinion on this or information? It would be greatly appreciated.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:13 AM   #2

Colorado
I am getting ready to winterize and will be pulling the battery out then. I have the winter to decide what I want to do. A good friend who has been camping nearly full time for years recommended I get two SIX volt batteries and I know several people who do this.

That said, I am leaning to getting two 12 volt AGM batteries. The AGMs are pricey but they are maintenance free and they hold a charge for a long time without charging when not in use. AGMs can also be repeatedly discharged and still recover fully without harm. They are a combination deep cycle and starting battery. They also do not need venting like a normal battery.

I have AGMs in both of the ATVs and they can sit out in the winter for months without starting and yet fire right up when needed. I also have AGMs in the truck.

2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:04 PM   #3

New York
We have 2 x 12 volt deep cell batteries, have used this set up for years! Our problem is we draw down the batteries within a few days (2) so there is something draining the battery. We complained about the water pump running a long time and when we stopped by the dealer the tech came out - saw that we read FULL on the monitor panel, I switched on the water pump, he heard how long it ran, when it stopped he checked the panel and we were already somewhere between 2/3 and 1/2! He agreed something was definitely draining the batteries! (Really - even I know that) anyway we take it in around October 15th for a laundry list of warrant items....we'll see what happens!

I do know that the antenna amplifier will draw down the battery, so make sure that is off! It was something that I did not think about right away. Also we have changed some of our lights to LED's (only the ones that we would use while "over knighting") - we'll see what happens with that - we are leaving for a two week trip in the morning!
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #4

Wyoming
We use 2 6-volt deep cycles. That seems to be the accepted best method. Anyone who dry camps should have two batteries. Single battery is for people who only go to RV parks with hook-ups.
If memory serves there has been some discussion here before regarding batteries. Do a search, there was a lot of good info throughout that thread.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #5

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinityrver View Post
Finally, as time is going on, I'm getting my rig straightened out. So, its time to discuss traveling issues.

Last year when the DW & I travelled to and from Florida we stopped at either truck stops or Wallyworlds. During that time of running the 12 volt electricity items, we noticed that the battery wore down over night. Running things like a few lights in the bathroom, kitchen, and bedroom. Also, ran the furnace to keep warm. The blower runs a considerable amount. I would run the battery down so that I couldn't bring in the bedroom slide without jumping the battery.

The battery that came with the rig is a 24NC. No deep cycle on this one. I've noticed that on other sites such as, Redwood their
recommending two deep cycle batteries. I believe its so that the inverter won't have to run so much.

Does anyone have an opinion on this or information? It would be greatly appreciated.
The inverter will run or operate any time 110 volt AC is needed so the amount of batteries doesn't have any effect on that.

However, with more battery capacity the inverter will be able to make 110 volts for a longer period depending on the draw you have.

An inverter that has a 'sleep' mode uses very little battery as opposed to an inverter that is constantly making 110 volts.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:00 PM   #6

Nevada
We have run 2 x 12v 24's in our current 5er and our previous TT. As we dry camp quite a bit for several days at a time, I wouldn't have anything less. We do use a Honda 2000 genny from time to time to run micro, heater or charge portables, and charge the batteries a bit.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:00 AM   #7

Indiana
I purchased two group 27 12 volt batteries today. Installed them and are now ready to do some dry campin' during my travels. Mainly, just during our run to Florida and back. It's not very often that my trailer isn't hooked up to shore power.

Like tohoemc, we have a 2000 watt generator that I carry in my truck. We also, use it for running the microwave and/or the coffee maker during our dry camping time.

I would have gone with the AGM's if we did more dry camping.

Thank you. I appreciate the comments and opinions on this thread.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote