Bedroom slide floor replacement? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2015, 02:02 AM   #1

Texas
Bedroom slide floor replacement?

My bedroom slide wont go all the way in due to the floor swelling. I full time, so I don't really have time to let the dealer spend 3 months working on my trailer. That means I'm probably going to fix it myself. Does anybody know any tips or tricks?

I think since mine has schwintek slides it may actually be a little easier to change the floor out. I plan to support the slide on the sides with stilts.

What is the absolute best material to use for the new floor? Any coating that could be applied to help combat this problem in the future? I'll be rounding up supplies to give it a shot next weekend so any suggestions are welcome.

SpeedyWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:28 PM   #2

New York
2004 & Older Slide Floors. Something you should check. - Sunline Coach Owner's Club

Although it is not a Dutchmen repair - here is an excellent "how to"....before we bought our piece of junk we owned a Sunline buying the Dutchmen was the biggest mistake of our lives

Good luck with your repair!

Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 04:33 PM   #3

Texas
I looked at it again this morning and it may be harder than I first thought. The swelling has caused one of the lower slide rails to pull down due to it being part of the support for the floor. I really don't care to mess with slide rail alignment.

My dealer says to expect five weeks to fix it. We know that means 10 weeks minimum. Plus what are the chances of them fixing it correctly? I had ac issues that the dealer was unable to fix. I had a leveling system issue that they couldn't fix. Now I'm left to trust them with something I question my own competency about?
Old 07-22-2015, 02:34 AM   #4

North Carolina
You might want to check a different dealer. I had the same issue and our dealer replaced the bedroom slide floor and realigned the slide rails in two days. The invoice had 12 hours of labor.

They used marine grade plywood in place of the original osb. Instead of the black fabric moisture barrier material they used a sheet of stainless steel on the bottom side.
O2bcruzing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 02:39 PM   #5

Texas
Were all the screw heads broken off on your slide rails and around the frame of the slide?
Old 07-23-2015, 12:52 AM   #6

Ontario
Speedy, have you determined how water is finding its way to the osb floor in the first place?

I have the same problem with my bedroom slide (osb floor wicking in water at the outer/front corner). I caulked all seams and joints around the top and sides of the slide, but dang water is still finding its way to the floor's edge. (Arrrgh!) It's causing the outermost 6 inches of floor to become soft. In turn, the rollers are digging into the floor a bit (1/16th to 1/8th?) when they make contact during slide operation. (Note: slide rail screws seem to be fine on mine).

I think that's why the slide motors sound slower/stressed in the first 6 inches of extending/last 6 inches of retracting. It's also likely why 2 slide motors failed ("burned out due to stress over time"). I guess the situation can't be helping to maintain slide trueness/rail alignment -- right? Unfortunately, I haven't fix what the real problem is yet (water leaking in somehow) so this is just my educated guess work so far. And it's why I ask if you've found the source to your wet osb floor.

The Schwintek in-wall slide system has worked flawlessly for 3 seasons in our main and kitchen slides. All have OSB floors. We've only had a problem in the bedroom slide; that's the only slide that appears to have leaked water to the OSB floor. I appreciate everyone's info here.

Mike
2010 Yamaha YZ125
mikesnider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:28 PM   #7

Tennessee
[QUOTE=mikesnider;29479

The Schwintek in-wall slide system has worked flawlessly for 3 seasons in our main and kitchen slides. All have OSB floors. We've only had a problem in the bedroom slide; that's the only slide that appears to have leaked water to the OSB floor. I appreciate everyone's info here.

Mike[/QUOTE]

Mike see link, might be a help.

http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...de-2803-2.html
Old 07-23-2015, 11:19 PM   #8

North Carolina
No, I didn't have any broken screw heads.

They did realign the rails as part of the repair. We have noticed the floor getting wet during rain storms which didn't happen before. I think the rail is sloped slightly towards the coach and water is running along the top of the rail and running down inside.

They thought the original issue was caused by the trim along the outside edge of the slide not being caulk ed properly.
O2bcruzing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 01:25 AM   #9

Texas
Well I know once my floor started to swell it pulled the lower trim down, breaking the caulk seal in the process. Which turned a small problem into a big problem real fast.

I had broken screw heads soon after taking delivery of the camper. Now I have a bunch of broken screw heads. I think I pulled off about 6 the other day and those were just ones I could reach.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:31 PM   #10

Texas
Well..... My camper has been at the dealer for two or three weeks. I lost count.

I called the dealer around the time I started this thread to asked them about the warranty, so that it would be wrote up before it expired. They told me I had two years. They failed to mention that the second year is covered by Extra Ride and not the Factory. I missed the factory warranty expiration by two weeks, therefore the dealer submitted the claim to Extra Ride.

So now Extra Ride is claiming the floor is cosmetic and wants to replace the slide system without replacing the slide floor. How much money can they possibly be saving by not replacing the slide floor? I told the service writer I did not feel that that would be a proper repair and he suggested that I call Keystone.

Keystone asked the dealer to submit a claim so they may review it and possibly help me out. If nothing else maybe they can confirm that the floor does indeed need to be replaced.

Wish me luck.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:29 PM   #11

Washington
Speedy
I started like you to make the repair myself but now I don't think so. I have followed your thread and would be interested in the repair cost.

Everything you described echoes my problem, even the rusted broken screws.
Cedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:18 PM   #12

Texas
Good news... Keystone came through for me and the floor is going to be replaced. The dealer is even going to let me borrow my camper for the holiday weekend!!!!

I'll try to get as much info as possible to answer some of the questions in this thread.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:00 PM   #13

Washington
That is great news and to get a loaner to boot Woooo, buy lottery ticket now you lucky dog.
We'll be watching for the end results.
Cedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:34 PM   #14

Ontario
Yes, good for you Speedy. And will appreciate hearing back on your fix. Thanks.
2010 Yamaha YZ125
mikesnider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:01 PM   #15

Texas
I was pretty excited going into the holiday weekend, but the further into it we got the more the excitement faded away. Today I'm just flat out pissed off.

I took pics of the bedroom slide while I had it out over the weekend. While doing that I started doing a walk around of the unit... Looks like the big couch slide has screws starting to break off as well. The kitchen slide has a track that is eating itself up. I forgot to take pics of that.

Oh, I also had the Tri Glide hitch failure as mentioned in the Towing Talk Section...

I called Keystone to express my disgust with this unit and ask for a warranty extension. I was told based off the repair history it does not warrant an extension. That is because my dealer is far too incompetent to diagnose and repair the issues that came up... I fixed the leveling system, and the AC. They failed to submit warranty claims for any of my major complaints because they could not find the problem. No paper trail.

Anyway.... Pics.

Notice the sealant pull.... This is caused by the floor swelling. The floor sits in the bottom slide track.

Again sealant pull... Lower trim damn near fell off from all the broken screws. Trim attaches to floor also.

Dealers solution to broken screws.... Put another next to it. WOW! Dealer never submitted to warranty for this repair so no paper trail.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:30 PM   #16

Oklahoma
I sure would send these photos by registered mail to Dutchman/Keystone and then I'd call them every day and then I'd get a lawyer to start calling them.
I'd also post them on Dutchman's Face Book page.
I'd join every RV forum and post them there also.

What happened where you posted they were going to replace the floor?
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:06 PM   #17

Texas
Keystone agreed to pay 10 hours labor to replace the bedroom slide floor. The slide system is being replaced by my extended warranty. No work has been done yet.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:02 AM   #18

Oklahoma
I misunderstood, it is the warranty extension they turned down and not the replacement.
I'd still bug the hell out of 'em!
Old 09-10-2015, 01:23 AM   #19

Tennessee
Sorry your having these problems. From your pictures, this is a serious problem. A 2014 Voltage coming apart like that.. I'm sure you'll be relentless in resolve with the manufacturer. The water intrusion in these slides are a major concern and must be addressed. Water was coming In on mine at the end of the gear track where it wasn't sealed at all ! From the looks of your pictures, I would says its the same thing. Hope all turns out okay..
Old 09-10-2015, 02:25 AM   #20

Oklahoma
The water intrusion could have and can be eliminated by simply capping the leading edge(s) of the floors.
A heavy plastic sheeting covering the edges would work, even a thin metallic cap would do it. They could even seal the edges with some sort of poly substance or even a quality tape.
This is a very poor engineering design especially knowing the blind caulkers do a very poor job with the caulking gun.

It's a shame they won't really build a quality product.