Bedroom slide floor replacement? - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2015, 02:42 PM   #21

Tennessee
When the OSB arrives it's coated with a resin based coating including sides which helps prevent water intrusion. When the installers cuts / butchers it, they dont paint or treat the cut area allowing it to wick water like a sponge. I try and keep an eye on my floors as a regular safety inspection as I do tires and others. Ive already had to deal with slight swelling which I caught in time and repaired. However, its what I cant see that bothers me. The pictures Speedy provided will help others to observe the signs of a failing poorly built structure.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:00 PM   #22

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper2b View Post
The pictures Speedy provided will help others to observe the signs of a failing poorly built structure.
Yes, if the trim is pulling from the sealant line you have problems.

SpeedyWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:20 PM   #23

Texas
Dealer says they are going to replace all three slide systems... I sure hope the dealer does a better job than the factory.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:54 PM   #24

Oklahoma
It's great they are going to do that for you and hopefully it will be a final fix for the slides.

One word of caution, RV techs/mechanics aren't carpenters. When the pull the entire slide all the nice shiny woodwork has to be pulled to get the slide out of the hole.
Not being carpenters you can expect damage to the 'wood' like moldings, extra nail holes, unfilled nail holes and possibly broken trim.
My big slide was pulled and had the track system replaced so they pulled the room. I have one corner where the trim is damaged, gaps and nail holes where they weren't before. The thin trim is a wood covered something so when they damage the covering that section will need to be replaced. Of course this problem isn't covered under the original warranty work so yet another claim has to be made and you know the rest of the story.

Look that trim and molding over very carefully and point it out because you'll be like me, looking at the damage and saying one day I'll get the nail gun out and do the trim correctly, plug the nail holes and try and repair the loose covering on the whatever that is passed off as cherry wood.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:00 PM   #25

Texas
Yes, that is one of the things I am afraid of.

During the PDI they determined that the panel under the kitchen sink needed to be replaced. The panel bubbled from winterizing the unit with a leaking sink drain. Had I known the surrounding paneling would be damaged in the process I would have told them not to mess with it.
Old 10-31-2015, 01:37 AM   #26

Texas
Dealer says to come pick it up on Monday. Stay tuned.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:54 PM   #27

Texas
I left it at the dealer. I feel a little bad for them at this point because I think they have made an effort to please me and several problems have been outside of their control. The bedroom floor was provided by the manufacture... The first floor was shipped UPS and was damaged in transit a month after it was ordered. It took the manufacture almost a month to make and ship another floor. So they waited two months to get the floor in. Could it have been made local in an hour? Yes! But I really don't think that is an option for them the way they operate.

Anyway, I ran the slides out on the unit this morning and the first thing I notice is a fist size tear in the flooring in front of the TV. I guess the last time they ran the slide in it hung the floor. I noted a few spots I wanted them to put more sealant and left it with them. They are going to fix the floor (and the slide) and the service manager offered to cover all the freight charges ($800). I was actually pretty pleased with the installs of the slide systems, everything I could reach measured to be in spec, and for the most part everything was sealed up nicely.

If I'm looking at the paper work right, the bedroom slide system and floor replacement was $2500 not including freight.

The other two slide systems were $1,043.01 each.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:18 AM   #28

Texas
Knowing what I know now about the slide systems I don't have much doubt that I could have fixed the bedroom floor on my own. I probably still would not attempt the repair myself unless I had a covered area to work in. Being caught in the rain with the wall apart could be disastrous.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:28 PM   #29

Georgia
I had this same problem in my V3950. Both bedroom and living room floors shot causing motors to bog down. With a little heat applied to Dutchman by my dealer they repaired both floors at no cost. Took them six weeks. RV World of Georgia. Overall happy with them. Not happy at all with Dutchman.

Volsfan1nga is offline   Reply With Quote