3 holding tanks, which is which? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2014, 12:40 PM   #1

Washington
3 holding tanks, which is which?

We have a 99 Dutchmen Classic 30RL. This photo shows four tanks: fresh water and 3 holding tanks. How do you know which are gray water and which are black?

Burnhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:49 PM   #2

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnhaven View Post
We have a 99 Dutchmen Classic 30RL. This photo shows four tanks: fresh water and 3 holding tanks. How do you know which are gray water and which are black?

Start adding water to each location. Toilet, bathroom shower/sink, then kitchen. You should see the bars increase as you do. That will tell you which is which. When you took up to sewer, if the drain valves are not marked. The valve with the largest body is the black water.

arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:10 PM   #3

Washington
Ah the "empirical" method :-) I saw in an RVGeeks youtube video that some of these monitors have small adjusting screws. I don't see that on this one.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:16 PM   #4

Arizona
I'm surprised the tank monitors still work.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:36 PM   #5

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
I'm surprised the tank monitors still work.
I was a bit surprised also. I think he needs to fill them and watch the bars go full then dump and see them go empty to know for sure.
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:57 AM   #6

Wyoming
Just a thought- does it tell you in the manual?
All of my tank monitors still work...knock on wood!
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:39 PM   #7

Washington
The only manuals on the dutchmen site for trailers this old are basically sales brochures that don't get into technical details. I'll just have to fill these tanks with fresh water as a test to see how the monitoring panel is working.
Customer Service Dutchmen RV
Old 03-07-2014, 02:13 PM   #8

Saskatchewan
Just as a suggestion I would put that fill water to work. Add to your toilet some water, some water softener (Calgon), ice cubes and laundry soap, hook on your tow vehicle and go for a drive with lots of corners to clean out the inside. Toilet paper maybe covering the sensors in your black tank and this cleaning may dislodge that paper. After dumping everything I would add some bleach to all the traps. It's a dirty job but somebody has to do it!

2013 Timber Ridge, 2013 GMC Sierra 6.2 L
kayakcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:58 PM   #9

Washington
Thanks Kayakcrazy. Well this trailer had 2007 stickers on it when we bought it from an RV dealer up here in NW Washington, so I think its been in winterized mode for quite a while. No tow vehicle. Its possible we might get one but for now the plan is to live in this RV while our home is being built, then sell it. We're just having tow companies move it as needed. Are you a kayak fan? Now that we're living near Lake Whatcom up near Bellingham, WA I'm going to be looking for a sit-on-top kayak.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:36 PM   #10

Wyoming
kayakcrazy is right about debris covering the sensors and giving false readings. I personally would not use bleach as chlorine ruins rubber seals. There really isn't any point sterilizing something that is designed to hold unsanitary fluids.
Flushing with clean water is adequate. The important thing to remember about your black tank is to only drain it when almost full as opposed to free draining if you are connected to a sewer. This keeps debris from 'piling' up in the bottom of your tank- something you do not want to have to clean out when the tank plugs up.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:46 PM   #11

Washington
Good advice Wanderer. Maybe not let the gray water tanks freely drain either unless its going to freeze. That water could be handy in flushing out the sewer hose after draining the black tank.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:52 PM   #12

Wyoming
I agree, that's what I normally do as well but if this unit is going to be parked for an extended time flushing the hose isn't a concern.
But your point is very good advice for travelers.