2 Gray-water drains, 1 black drain - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2014, 08:51 PM   #1

Washington
2 Gray-water drains, 1 black drain

Just bought this 1999 30RL recently and didn't realize there was a third drain handle underneath. So it looks like the two handles nearest the exit pipe are for the two gray-water tanks, and the handle farther back under the trailer is for the black tank.

Burnhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:52 PM   #2

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnhaven View Post
Just bought this 1999 30RL recently and didn't realize there was a third drain handle underneath. So it looks like the two handles nearest the exit pipe are for the two gray-water tanks, and the handle farther back under the trailer is for the black tank.

Yep. That's what I see.

If you are hooked up to sewer it is OK to leave the gray valves open. But not the black. The black water tank has to fill with solids and liquids at the same time. If you were to leave the black open you would end up with a big pile right under the toilet.

When dumping you will want some water in your grey holding tanks to help rinse the hose. If you have a San-T-Flush that is good. If not get a wand or at least stick a hose down the toilet to help clean the tank.

arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:23 PM   #3

Washington
Thanks for the reply. Yes I did buy a Valterra F02-4350 Black 'Flush King' Reverse RV Flush Valve
Amazon.com: Valterra F02-4350 Black 'Flush King' Reverse RV Flush Valve: Automotive
Old 04-07-2014, 04:54 PM   #4

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlan in arizona View Post
Yep. That's what I see.

If you are hooked up to sewer it is OK to leave the gray valves open. But not the black. The black water tank has to fill with solids and liquids at the same time. If you were to leave the black open you would end up with a big pile right under the toilet.

When dumping you will want some water in your grey holding tanks to help rinse the hose. If you have a San-T-Flush that is good. If not get a wand or at least stick a hose down the toilet to help clean the tank.
I close all valves, including the add on "reverse flush". The black tank valve on my unit will lek down the liquid portion rather slowly. But over time I have dry tank and a mountain of you know what
GOLDENYEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:36 PM   #5

Washington
Are those Valterra valves? Looks like replacement handles are available without replacing or removing the valves.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:08 AM   #6

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnhaven View Post
Are those Valterra valves? Looks like replacement handles are available without replacing or removing the valves.
Yes.

GOLDENYEARS is offline   Reply With Quote