Would you buy an extended warranty? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2015, 02:10 AM   #1

Ohio
Would you buy an extended warranty?

.. on your Dutchmen trailer?

if it were a little over a year old? or would you take your chances. we have the option of buying a 5 year warranty for about $2,100. Tempting, but then I have to wonder, how often people cash in on warranties to the tune of $2100 over 5 years. Not saying things won't go wrong or need done - but I would guess most of that is maintenance and not warrantied covered. Just not sure if we'd realistically expect to spend over $2k in warranty work in 5 years. Maybe we would. not sure a life span on an A/C or Fridge.. those of you that have been doing this for awhile, if you had the option, what would you choose?

thank you!

OhioRVMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:16 AM   #2

Colorado
I bought another couple of years of warranty on the 2014 Voltage Epic 3800.

But you know. I've begun fixing problems myself so that I have my rig to use when I want.

So I consider the warranty only for the "big" stuff. An AC unit, fridge, furnace, things like that. Otherwise forget it. I was told "its spec" and nothing would be done. So I did it.

JMHO

Pirate

Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:18 AM   #3

Tennessee
My A/C and fridge both went in the first year, but that is very rare. We didn't get the extended warranty, and I don't regret it. I'm assuming you will have no warranty, so that's a little different. $2100 would cover those both, and they are the big ticket items, and things that can be replaced by you if you're handy.

Be sure to get bug covers for your fridge, hot water and furnace vents, that can potentially save you big money.

It's a dice roll either way.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:21 AM   #4

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
... I was told "its spec" and nothing would be done. So I did it.

JMHO

Pirate
what do you mean? (sorry, can you clarify?) and yes - I think we will probably do some of the small stuff ourselves, so that just leaves the big stuff - which can be pricey, but then again, at only a year old, and rarely used, not sure how much we could come across in 5 years that would be eligible for warranty work - and that would hit $2k.

after all, the companies are in it for the money, and wouldn't sell them if they didnt have the best odds.

cars are different. You have an engine and all KINDS of things. Just not sure spending 2k up front is worth it. still mulling it over..
Old 08-26-2015, 02:23 AM   #5

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
My A/C and fridge both went in the first year, but that is very rare. We didn't get the extended warranty, and I don't regret it. I'm assuming you will have no warranty, so that's a little different. $2100 would cover those both, and they are the big ticket items, and things that can be replaced by you if you're handy.

Be sure to get bug covers for your fridge, hot water and furnace vents, that can potentially save you big money.

It's a dice roll either way.
so i wonder what kind of price tag goes with a fridge and A/C blowing out? it's a gamble, I know. 2k now, or 5 k later - but then again, the odds..
Old 08-26-2015, 02:28 AM   #6

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRVMom View Post
so i wonder what kind of price tag goes with a fridge and A/C blowing out? it's a gamble, I know. 2k now, or 5 k later - but then again, the odds..
My unit was 15000btu and they're around $700 and a fridge is around $1000, depending on the model. That's not one of those double door giant Voltage fridges. Just a 6-7 cubic ft top freezer model.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:32 AM   #7

Ohio
i just re-read your post - and realized you kind of answered my question before (I'm getting tired and didn't see that part LOL) sleepless nights worrying about all these details is catching up to me. Good thing it is almost over!

On the AC - I'd love to upgrade to a 15K (mines only a 13.5) but we'll see how it works for us. And the fridge is a basic 6.2 or something cubic foot so I'm guessing those are pretty appropriate.

not saying we wouldn't spend 2k, just not sure if it's likely - it could be even more than that - but i'd rather pay piecemeal too, than pay 2k up front or even 2k into the loan and pay interest on it.

I think we're making the right decision - I hope. LOL
Old 08-26-2015, 02:33 AM   #8

Colorado
Sure Mom,

"its spec"...two examples:

The bedroom TV was a Haier....the picture was nothing but dark shadows...not something you could watch at all. But dealer said "it meets spec". So I got rid of it and installed a Visio. Great picture!!

Bedroom queen size bed. Sleeping on the driver side...I felt like I was in a hole come morning. Lift up the mattress and OSB to access the storage under the bed. Funny, the OSB the mattress rests on is within two inches of the edge of the mattress on the Passenger side. On the Driver side, there was 8 inches of mattress hanging over the edge of the OSB...no wonder I felt like I was in a hole. Dealer said "that's spec". So I redesigned the mattress support and cut new OSB. Now the OSB is within 1 inch of both sides of the mattress...problem solved.

Have fixed a fair number of "problems" like this. I have the skills the tools...and I do it right!!

Pirate
Old 08-26-2015, 02:39 AM   #9

Ohio
yeah- that's my fear. what does the warranty ACTUALLY cover. it's not like the car dealer warranties - those can be tricky, no doubt, but I just foresee warranty work on trailers to be more - like your example. I doubt we'll get much fixed without discussion or possible pushing (if not a fight).
Old 08-26-2015, 02:42 AM   #10

Colorado
We bought a similar extended warranty on our Kodiak and we are 2 years into it. Within the first year we had a cracked black tank and a leaking toilet. Both were covered under manufacturer warranty. Once out of warranty we've had only the microwave go which was about $200 I think?
Your right, it's a gamble. We've got 3 more years for our peace of mind.
We purchased a extended warranty on out truck when we got it as well (used with 30K miles) and that paid for itself and then some! Over $5K in work and parts.
I think it boils down to your cash flow. For us we do not have a lot of savings we are willing to dump into a major repair on our camper or vehicle. It would leave a "dent" in us so we'd rather have the safety net wrapped up in our monthly payment. If you have the spare $$ to cover a few thousand dollar repair that "might" pop up I wouldn't even consider the extended warranty.
rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:48 AM   #11

Colorado
Mom,

That's why I have chosen to learn the rig and do my own repairs. That does away with having to push the dealer, and wait, sometimes months, to get things done.

An appliance that quits...is pretty obvious and if its covered in the extended warranty...there isn't much discussion.

We've also shopped around for other dealers that seem to do a better job, more quickly...and usually they can do the warranty repair. Thus avoiding the selling dealer who is a real PITA!!

Pirate
Old 08-26-2015, 02:53 AM   #12
Site Team

North Carolina
As a general rule I don't think they are worth the paper they are written on. One problem being that there are quite a few companies out there providing them. Some are nothing but money grabs, while some seem to be decent. I have no clue how to tell them apart other than by research and asking the people that have used them. In some cases you are limited to a specific dealer that is on the warranty provider's approved list, in others you can use anyone you choose and the company will reimburse you or them.

I didn't bother with my little camper. I can replace everything on it twice for what the warranty sold for. In fact I am getting ready to replace a crapped out converter, it is actually still under the converter manufacturer's two year warranty, but with the hassle involved in having to return it and wait for them to make the determination, then the odds are pretty good it will crap out again because it is a poor design and cheaply built. I will probably spring for a better quality unit on my nickel. New upgraded converter is under $200 in my case. Extended warranty would have covered a replacement but not the upgrade.

If you can fix things you have a head start on the game, if you can trouble shoot and replace major components as necessary I would say ditch the warranty. The single biggest cost factor in a repair is the labor. IIRC my local RV shop is charging $75 an hour for shop labor.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:55 AM   #13

Nevada
Ohio,
This is my 2nd Toy hauler, the first one because they are so big, I purchased a extended warranty from the Dealer, big mistake, when I sold the First one, I could only go thru the Dealer to get a refund, and they get a cut of the refund…..On my Voltage, I do have an extended Warranty, but from Good Sam, which cost less and covers more, My 3895 has 3 A/C's, 4 TV's etc…so that's why I got another one, I do most of the repairs, it's only for the big items….If you do get one, do your home work and don't get one because it's low cost, see what it covers, and check into more then one…Good Luck and Happy Camping
Rich
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:58 AM   #14

Ohio
thats better than camping worlds 129.00/hr or whatever it is. on the bigger items I wouldn't mind paying half that or so for someone to do it more quickly and efficiently than I (NOT camping world - but have another repair guy we have found and like)