What is this switch for? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2018, 10:04 PM   #1

Indiana
What is this switch for?

Okay, so I have been going through my new to me 1994 Classic 300. Overall I have been very happy with what I have found. All the interior electrical works perfectly as well as the furnace and stove.
The furnace, however, does not move a lot of air. There is good flow out of the kitchen at 1 end, but the flow out of the living room and bedroom vents is very low. It appears to be functioning correctly, so I am thinking of installing some adjustable vent to help even out the flow.
The switches by the exit doors that control the outside lights blows the fuse every time it is turned on, so I have to troubleshoot that still.
My main question is what the switch in the picture is for. It is located on the ceiling in the living room, somewhat close to the awning crank. You can see the edge of the crank in the right of the pic.

I also order more LEDs to finish switching over the interior light. To increase the light output I used reflective metal duct tape on the inside of the fixtures to reflect the light back down. I can get pics of the end result if anyone is interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jayro88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:48 PM   #2

Florida
Never seen one mounted on ceiling before but my guess for the switch would be an amplifier for your TV antenna. Oh by the way, that object to the right of it is the crank to raise and lower your TV antenna. Once you raise the antenna, you can pull down slightly on the flower looking outer ring to point/rotate your antenna. Make sure you line up the arrows on ring prior to lowering your antenna.
Add antenna lowered check to your checklist, you won't be the first to leave it up while traveling.

Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:33 AM   #3

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
Never seen one mounted on ceiling before but my guess for the switch would be an amplifier for your TV antenna. Oh by the way, that object to the right of it is the crank to raise and lower your TV antenna. Once you raise the antenna, you can pull down slightly on the flower looking outer ring to point/rotate your antenna. Make sure you line up the arrows on ring prior to lowering your antenna.
Add antenna lowered check to your checklist, you won't be the first to leave it up while traveling.

Thanks. To be honest I didn’t even know I had an antenna. My LEDs came in, so I finished swapping them in. Not bad for cheap Amazon ones. 6.99 for 10 of them.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:49 AM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
Pull the switch plate and see what wiring looks like and test it for voltage. Is it 12 volt DC or 120 volt AC? Several possibilities.

As far as low air flow on your furnace, check and make sure your ducts aren't crushed or broken open, then mess with adjustable vents.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:10 PM   #5

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Pull the switch plate and see what wiring looks like and test it for voltage. Is it 12 volt DC or 120 volt AC? Several possibilities.

As far as low air flow on your furnace, check and make sure your ducts aren't crushed or broken open, then mess with adjustable vents.

Aaron
or plugged with Mouse Condominiums..........
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:18 PM   #6

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
or plugged with Mouse Condominiums..........

Thanks. I will pull the plenum cover and see what I can find. I did put a board over the high flowing vent while working in the trailer. While it increased the flow to the other vents some, it was not nearly as much as I expected. Hopefully it is a blockage of some kind etc. if not I have my doubts that the furnace would keep up with any temps below 40*. I did find it odd because the person I purchased the trailer from said they kicked on the heat on a cool night and it could nearly sweat them out of the trailer.

If this is as good as the furnace gets, I will probably add a propane connection so I can use my Buddy heater to help.

Old 03-15-2018, 01:12 AM   #7

Indiana
Went through the furnace and duct work. Blocking off the high flow vent did produce a fairly large increase in air flow in the other vents. Upon checking the plenum I found that it was not sealed up well and losing a lot of air. A few zip screws and some foil duct tape had it all tightened up. This increased the flow out of all the vents, but it was still uneven. Gonna add some adjustable vents to the vent out the flow.

I was wondering, how do you guys/gals check if your vents are clear? I tried taking a pick with my phone with no luck. Just a mirror and a flashlight?

Old 03-15-2018, 03:05 AM   #8

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayro88 View Post
Went through the furnace and duct work. Blocking off the high flow vent did produce a fairly large increase in air flow in the other vents. Upon checking the plenum I found that it was not sealed up well and losing a lot of air. A few zip screws and some foil duct tape had it all tightened up. This increased the flow out of all the vents, but it was still uneven. Gonna add some adjustable vents to the vent out the flow.

I was wondering, how do you guys/gals check if your vents are clear? I tried taking a pick with my phone with no luck. Just a mirror and a flashlight?

I have something like this
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Ins...0AAOSwtDdaaEa7
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:13 AM   #9
RDJ

Washington
Did you ever find out what the switch on the ceiling was for, on some of the older rvs, there was a switch near the microwave to either switch from microwave to a/c, maybe yours is for that purpose but just mounted in a different location....
Old 03-17-2018, 02:32 PM   #10

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
Did you ever find out what the switch on the ceiling was for, on some of the older rvs, there was a switch near the microwave to either switch from microwave to a/c, maybe yours is for that purpose but just mounted in a different location....

I haven’t. Hoping to figure it out this weekend. Been working on some other things on the trailer. Gotta pull the cover and test for voltage first.

Worst case, I can contact the previous owner and ask if I can’t figure it out.

Old 03-25-2018, 07:13 PM   #11

Indiana
Talked to the previous owner. Said the switch is the master power switch for the AC.

It appears to be a 3 position switch. Not sure what all the positions do yet. I will test it out once the temps get a little higher.

Old 03-25-2018, 10:34 PM   #12

Florida
Most the time when they put a 3 way switch on the A/C, it also controlled the microwave (if you have one). That is their way of protecting and limiting your 30 amp power draw.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:38 PM   #13

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
Most the time when they put a 3 way switch on the A/C, it also controlled the microwave (if you have one). That is their way of protecting and limiting your 30 amp power draw.

Okay. I do have a microwave. I will flip the switch and see what happens to the microwave power.

Old 08-19-2018, 12:38 AM   #14

New York
This reminds me of a episode of married with children. Al finds a switch by his counter. After tearing the house apart. He never figured it out, but it turns out it was for the dog house outside.
Now I had a switch in my TT driving me crazy. Turned out the bulbs were blown for lights under the TT to light the steps up.