Water Leak on LP gas line.... - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2016, 10:03 PM   #1

Florida
Water Leak on LP gas line....

I am very happy with Dutchman owners website as I have received lots of great advice in fixing issues. I am still a rookie.

As I am preparing my camper for my fall trip, I noticed what looks like condensation on the LP line at the joint leading from the Tanks to the front of the camper. The propane tanks were closed, and the water on the ground doesn't smell like propane.

I turned on the propane and lit the stove and all worked well. Should I be worried?

Regards,

JIM

darenkamp1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:13 PM   #2

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by darenkamp1960 View Post
I am very happy with Dutchman owners website as I have received lots of great advice in fixing issues. I am still a rookie.

As I am preparing my camper for my fall trip, I noticed what looks like condensation on the LP line at the joint leading from the Tanks to the front of the camper. The propane tanks were closed, and the water on the ground doesn't smell like propane.

I turned on the propane and lit the stove and all worked well. Should I be worried?

Regards,

JIM
Jim, First I would turn the LPG OFF right away. Then I would mix up a little soap and water and spray the area, turn the tank on and look for bubbles (condensation is usually due to a leak) If you find bubbles, there is a leak there. You will have to access the area and how to fix it. It may be as simple as tightening some fittings or you may need to take apart and put some teflon tape and reassemble and tighten. Once done, spray some more soapy water on and check for leaks again.

SAFETY NOTE: If you are not mechanically inclined - take it to the dealer. LPG is not something to mess and attempting repair could be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. Cold burns hurt like hell - as an old forklift technician, don't ask me how I know

2016 Aerolite 213RBSL
2013 F150 3.5 Ecoboost Tow Package
gjwinner850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:24 PM   #3

California
Jim if you do like Jeff said & find a leak at the fitting, don't use just any teflon tape. At Lowes or Home Depot they sell the yellow stuff that's made for NG or propane gas lines.
Make sure you tank valves are closed, open windows in the RV & turn on you stove to bleed any propane off that's in the line. After a few minutes you can turn off the stove & than go about repairing the leaking fitting.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 03:08 PM   #4

British Columbia
Winner,

You just just taught this old dog a new trick. I've been using the good old Pipe sealant with whatever fancy additives it has. Knock on wood, non of my gas work I've done over the last 40 years has blown up. Most of my early work has been demolished and redeveloped. Sometimes I put a little too much trust in the "experts" in the big box home improvement stores.

Thanks for the lesson, the yellow stuff is on my list and I'm going to redo all my work in our current house.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 05:31 PM   #5

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Winner,

You just just taught this old dog a new trick. I've been using the good old Pipe sealant with whatever fancy additives it has. Knock on wood, non of my gas work I've done over the last 40 years has blown up. Most of my early work has been demolished and redeveloped. Sometimes I put a little too much trust in the "experts" in the big box home improvement stores.

Thanks for the lesson, the yellow stuff is on my list and I'm going to redo all my work in our current house.
White stuff for water, yellow stuff for gas and blue stuff for air. Of course pipe dope if all else fails.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:40 PM   #6
Site Team

North Carolina
Pipe Dope FTW!

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:21 PM   #7

Florida
Thank you. I just tightened the bolt, problem solved. However, when I get home, I will inspect and refurbish the fittings.
darenkamp1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:02 AM   #8

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
White stuff for water, yellow stuff for gas and blue stuff for air. Of course pipe dope if all else fails.
Now we talkin' a language I understand, I know pipe dope, as a matter a fact I think that's what I used.

But I'm gettin' some of that yellow stuff and redo them. I like to look like, I know what I'm doing at least.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:04 PM   #9

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Now we talkin' a language I understand, I know pipe dope, as a matter a fact I think that's what I used.

But I'm gettin' some of that yellow stuff and redo them. I like to look like, I know what I'm doing at least.
The thing is, how many NPT fittings do we have to worry about regarding whether air, flammable gas or liquid is running through it? Straight pipe or tapered, it's all the same, the contents are inside so anything that will seal the threads works for me. Some of that nasty ole pipe dope our fathers used is still holding a seal and sometimes, connections and pipes together.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 03:27 PM   #10

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Some of that nasty ole pipe dope our fathers used is still holding a seal and sometimes, connections and pipes together.
I've seen those, my first foray into DIY gas fitting goes back over 40 years. We were doing a small kitchen reno and moving the gas range.

I measured up all the pipe (black iron) I needed, had my brother-in-law get the made up at his work. D-day comes, I needed mechanical assistance to break that 50 year old pipe dope lose.

That about the pucker factor, my first gas fitting job. Funny but the first thing that came to mind was an old B&W movie where the "hero" does some gas work, then uses a match to check for leaks. You can imagine the rest I'm sure.