Water Intrusion - Lesson Learned - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2017, 09:10 PM   #1

Louisiana
Water Intrusion - Lesson Learned

I purchased a 2004 Colorado 26FB a couple of weeks ago. I've never owned an RV before, so this is my first rodeo. I was checking some things out with the unit and began digging into things, opening compartments, vents, and such. It got dark and so I went into the house and forgot to close the overhead vent/sunlight in the bedroom, and kitchen. I had the bathroom door propped open with the freezer door, so it was directly below the sunlight in the kitchen, and of course, the bed mattress was under the bedroom vent. Yep .......... It rained ................. mattress soaked, dining seat and seat back soaked, bathroom door had been trimmed exposing the pressed core, so it was soaked, and swollen. Panic mode kicked in and I jumped on Google. First thing I see is "Water is your travel trailer's worst enemy" ............. Searched all over for a dehumidifier with no luck, so I plugged it into my 110 and powered up the AC. I slid out the dining area, then I turned the AC down to 60 and wiped everything that I could, then removed the mattress and cushions and closed the door.14 hours of constant AC running and cycling because in no time it was 60deg with the 15K AC going. Everything is dried out now, but the bathroom door is still a bit thicker than before, so I might do some shaving, and then re-seal it with clear polyurethane. Learning as I go, so wish me luck. BTW, the trailer is awesome. I've only seen the metal shelled entry level type before, so when we saw this, it was a "must have" !!! Previous owner was a mechanic and was meticulous in keeping this thing in top shape. He even replaced the vinyl with aged wood laminated floor tiles because he didn't like the linoleum floor.

chasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:34 AM   #2

Illinois
Glad it was minor. Trust me, many more lessons to be learned; some expensive or labor intensive to fix. All part of the game. Worth it nonetheless.
Rusty

2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:38 PM   #3

Florida
They do have vents with rain sensors built-in so they close when it rains.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:00 PM   #4

Ohio
A couple of years ago my mother went to empty her fresh water tank before winterization. The valve used to empty the fresh water tank is tiny and takes forever, so she runs the tap in the sink to speed things up (gray water dump is fast). Well, this particular time she had to run into the house for something and got distracted for a couple of minutes. By the time she went back out the water was still running, but she had neglected to remove the drain stopper from the sink drain when she started it, so the water was running over the lip of the sink and out the door!

This is after owning this particular RV for 22 years! (and it’s her third RV!)

Here’s to learning from each other’s mistakes…
PamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:17 PM   #5

Illinois
Having your awning blow away in a sudden wind storm, Sani flush with valve closed and getting "distracted" causing an overflow, not getting out and double checking when backing, cutting a corner tight at a gas station your wife told you not to stop at, etc. The list goes on and on. There should be a thread with screw-ups we've each personally made (I'll take credit for losing an awning, not once, but twice. Believe me, won't happen a third time.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:44 PM   #6
Site Team

North Carolina
Sounds like a good idea... maybe?
'Bonehead Maneuvers'.... I have my fair share of them too!

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 02:03 AM   #7

Alberta
I too left a vent open one rainy night. Rest assured, I was shopping for a vent cover the next day. Simple to install and worth the $30 they cost.
spike747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:59 PM   #8

Louisiana
running the AC for a few days really got the "dehumidifying" started, but the commercial dehumidifier that I got from my buddy really did the trick. I'll be buying a small dehumidifier just for keeping things in check, but I won't be leaving the ceiling vents open at all any more. Thanks for the comments. I'm really liking this travel trailer. Never realized I'd like it this much. I can't wait to get my first road trip in it. Still working on things. Last night I replaced the bulbs with those paddle LED lights. What an amazing difference. Thanks again.
chasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:01 AM   #9

Florida
I installed a vent cover over my only vent, in the bathroom and I can leave it open even in the rain, plus in summer it stays open and helps remove the hot air from the Fla. sun.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:56 AM   #10

Texas
If you don't have these they are "bonehead" proof: Maxxair (00-933069) Black Vent Cover https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002OWCLNQ..._Vm-VybSN6JW1M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:34 PM   #11
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSCLARK View Post
If you don't have these they are "bonehead" proof: Maxxair (00-933069) Black Vent Cover https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002OWCLNQ..._Vm-VybSN6JW1M

Good idea... I have the automatic rain sensing vents that are SUPPOSED to close when the sensor gets wet. It doesn't always work as fast as it should.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:56 PM   #12

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasu View Post
I purchased a 2004 Colorado 26FB a couple of weeks ago. I've never owned an RV before, so this is my first rodeo. I was checking some things out with the unit and began digging into things, opening compartments, vents, and such. It got dark and so I went into the house and forgot to close the overhead vent/sunlight in the bedroom, and kitchen. I had the bathroom door propped open with the freezer door, so it was directly below the sunlight in the kitchen, and of course, the bed mattress was under the bedroom vent. Yep .......... It rained ................. mattress soaked, dining seat and seat back soaked, bathroom door had been trimmed exposing the pressed core, so it was soaked, and swollen. Panic mode kicked in and I jumped on Google. First thing I see is "Water is your travel trailer's worst enemy" ............. Searched all over for a dehumidifier with no luck, so I plugged it into my 110 and powered up the AC. I slid out the dining area, then I turned the AC down to 60 and wiped everything that I could, then removed the mattress and cushions and closed the door.14 hours of constant AC running and cycling because in no time it was 60deg with the 15K AC going. Everything is dried out now, but the bathroom door is still a bit thicker than before, so I might do some shaving, and then re-seal it with clear polyurethane. Learning as I go, so wish me luck. BTW, the trailer is awesome. I've only seen the metal shelled entry level type before, so when we saw this, it was a "must have" !!! Previous owner was a mechanic and was meticulous in keeping this thing in top shape. He even replaced the vinyl with aged wood laminated floor tiles because he didn't like the linoleum floor.

I have list made
1- setting up trailer at site
2- setting up trailer for traveling
3- closing trailer after just hanging out in it

Stan the man is offline   Reply With Quote