Want to indtall TV in bedroom - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2016, 02:37 AM   #1

Tennessee
Want to indtall TV in bedroom

We have decided to put a TV in the bed room of our new Denali 289RK. Planning n gettng a 22 inch LED. Just wondering about whst screw size to use. How thick is the wall material in this area?

Old 02-06-2016, 03:27 AM   #2

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricejh View Post
We have decided to put a TV in the bed room of our new Denali 289RK. Planning n gettng a 22 inch LED. Just wondering about whst screw size to use. How thick is the wall material in this area?
If there is a sticker one the wall that says mount TV here, there is a reinforcement there to screw into. If there isn't a sticker there, you will have to add support that will span the studs.

The screws that are supplied with your TV mount should be the correct size for the weight of the TV.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:12 AM   #3
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
If there is a sticker one the wall that says mount TV here, there is a reinforcement there to screw into. If there isn't a sticker there, you will have to add support that will span the studs.

The screws that are supplied with your TV mount should be the correct size for the weight of the TV.
They may be waaaaay too long!
PriceJh,

Is there a mounting point indicated in the bedroom? Usually there will be a sticker on the wall in the general vicinity of where they put reinforcement. If not, you will need to mount something across a couple of wall studs to to provide the necessary support. Typically the interior wall panels are 1/4" thick or less. Interior framing is going to be 1-/1/2" or less. I have seen many interior walls that were just over an inch thick total.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 02:26 PM   #4

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
PriceJh,

Is there a mounting point indicated in the bedroom? Usually there will be a sticker on the wall in the general vicinity of where they put reinforcement. If not, you will need to mount something across a couple of wall studs to to provide the necessary support. Typically the interior wall panels are 1/4" thick or less. Interior framing is going to be 1-/1/2" or less. I have seen many interior walls that were just over an inch thick total.

Aaron
Yes, there is a sticker on the outside wall. Will have to check screw length.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 02:42 PM   #5
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricejh View Post
Yes, there is a sticker on the outside wall. Will have to check screw length.
Tap around and make sure the sticker is actually over the mounting plate! Mine was about 6" too far to one side. An electronic stud finder might help too.

I have actually seen where a certain installation center used the screws that came with the TV mount and ran them through the outside wall of a $100,000 fiver, because the screws were too long. That cost a pretty penny to have fixed I am sure.

Aaron
Old 02-06-2016, 05:19 PM   #6

British Columbia
Quote:
PriceJh,

Aaron
Aaron,

Right, I just made assofme again, I just assume that everyone would check the length of the fastener before driving them into a wall. I was thinking of size vs the length of the screw.

It's not just TV mounts that supply screws that could be too long for a camper wall. I rarley use the screws provide with wall mount products, I don't like them cheap fasteners that come with Made in China products, I like using the expensive Made in China fasteners.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:29 PM   #7

New Jersey
Screws were too long!

I was so nervous I opened the window near where the mounting decal was and checked the wall thickness.. The screws were about a 1/2" too long!!
So glad I checked.. Make sure the decal is over the mounting plywood inside the wall.. In my case the edge of the plywood was about 1 1/2" to the left of the decal edge .. Electronic stud finder was a lifesaver..
Allentown, NJ
Firstime RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 05:39 PM   #8
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstime RVer View Post
I was so nervous I opened the window near where the mounting decal was and checked the wall thickness.. The screws were about a 1/2" too long!!
So glad I checked.. Make sure the decal is over the mounting plywood inside the wall.. In my case the edge of the plywood was about 1 1/2" to the left of the decal edge .. Electronic stud finder was a lifesaver..
At least you checked!

In my checkered past I have seen more than one so called "expert" ruin many an expensive thing using screws that were too long. Other than the 5'ver I saw in a shop (with the screws still sticking out of the wall BTW) I was working at a hospital in the renovations shop as a cabinet maker. Couple of idiots were assembling a $8,000+ walnut conference table for the executive conference room and used screws that were too long for the leg brackets. They ran about 20 of them through the top into the floor. Not only did the damage the table top, they messed up a high dollar floor carpet too. Sad part was, it was my boss. One of the reasons I left that place.

Good old adage: Measure twice... screw up once.

Aaron
Old 02-06-2016, 05:54 PM   #9

British Columbia
Quote:
At least you checked!

In my checkered past I have seen more than one so called "expert" ruin many an expensive thing using screws that were too long. Other than the 5'ver I saw in a shop (with the screws still sticking out of the wall BTW) I was working at a hospital in the renovations shop as a cabinet maker. Couple of idiots were assembling a $8,000+ walnut conference table for the executive conference room and used screws that were too long for the leg brackets. They ran about 20 of them through the top into the floor. Not only did the damage the table top, they messed up a high dollar floor carpet too. Sad part was, it was my boss. One of the reasons I left that place.

Good old adage: Measure twice... screw up once.

Aaron
I love it when the boss screwed up better than I did.

Measure twice... screw up once, AGAIN! Seen that happen before too, screw up once cut a new peice and do it again, but that was a buddy of mine who is not at all mechanically inclined.

I usually don't make the same mistake twice, especially when the first time costs me my allowance.

Old 02-07-2016, 02:21 AM   #10

New Jersey
It seems that I'm really careful when dealing with something new.. Then I turn around and mess up doing simple things I had done before and was too darn comfortable with to be concerned with details .
Then I turn around and pat myself on the back for coming up with a solution for the screw-up that shouldn't have happened in the first place

Go figure

For what its worth, I used 5/16" x 1" screws to mount my articulated arm.. Just be sure to find the edge of the plywood behind the paneling, so you can sink the screws into something substantial..

All the best.
Allentown, NJ
Old 02-07-2016, 12:33 PM   #11

Tennessee
Thanks for the pointers. Will use my stud finder to double check location and the hint on the 5/16 x 1" screws is priceless.

On my last rig I suceeded in drilling a small hole (abput 1/16") thru the side while mounting something. Ouch. Thank goodness for EternaBond tape.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:46 PM   #12

New Jersey
HDDecker's advice helped me out when I installed mine. Use a good web type strap to secure it to the wall while traveling, keeping any clips on the strap away from the front of the screen, to avoid scratching it.. Most bungees will allow it to bounce around too much.

All the best.
Allentown, NJ
Old 02-07-2016, 01:06 PM   #13

Illinois
We use all those crappy pillows you get with your new RV to place between the web strap and the tv screen. You can cinch them up pretty tightly and not worry about rubbing or scratching.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 01:54 PM   #14

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
We use all those crappy pillows you get with your new RV to place between the web strap and the tv screen. You can cinch them up pretty tightly and not worry about rubbing or scratching.
Rusty
Great idea!
Allentown, NJ
Old 02-07-2016, 02:10 PM   #15
Site Team

North Carolina
I like using the velcro straps rather than the buckle ones, less chance of scratching stuff. I think on my last RV that had the television mounted I used a couple of rolled up towels on either side to keep it stabilized while traveling. Current unit I just pop it off the mount and put it face down on the bed. I haven't mounted a travel strap yet, because we will be replacing the tv one of these days.

Aaron
Old 02-07-2016, 05:03 PM   #16

Oklahoma
One can always use a 1/16" drill bit if unsure about the stud location. If it's a miss it's an easy job to plug the itty bitty hole. If close but no cigar the TV will cover the hole also.
Cheaper than going out and buying a tool that doesn't get used very often.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote