UGH, more issues with Kodiak - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2012, 01:41 AM   #1

UGH, more issues with Kodiak

Well we have had our trailer now since march. With that another issue has cropped up that is really frustrating
I'm not sure how much dutchmen paid for the Haier LCD TV's but they really should have done a google search on a company prior to ordering the product.
They have one of the worse ratings in the industry and so many complaints about them it takes days to read all of it.
Our LCD suffers from the exact same issue that all the people on google complain about.
Green LED turns on, but screen is black. TV is completely useless and a pile of garbage. It wouldn't be so bad if Haier didn't have so many complaints. But seriously, Dutchmen, for an extra $20.00, you can put a vizio in there.
I'm sending my Haier back for warranty replacement, but after reading all of the complaints about that process, I'm not even confident they will send us a new unit.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:30 AM   #2
Community Founder

Re: UGH, more issues with Kodiak

Sorry to hear of your problems.

I replaced both my TVs with Vizio. No problems at all.

The truth is, RV manufacturers accept bids on the least expensive accessory suppliers.

eRVm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:34 AM   #3

British Columbia

We have a Jensen TV...never heard of them...it works..however we do not watch too much TV when camping.

Coops
Canada
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:36 AM   #4

Hmmm? Our Haier works perfectly and has a great picture. Haier is one of the largest manufacturers of LCD and LED tv's and in fact, makes many of the tv's on the market sold under several different names. Plus, they make many of the parts for those other manufacturers as well. Sorry to hear you are having problems and hopefully they will stand behind their warranty.
BigBoyjack b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
VIP Member

You know camping and using the trailer is supppose to reduce stress, not increase it. If you dealer won't resolve your problem, take it upon yourself to resolve it and get on to enjoying this experience. A more expensive tv would have added to the bottom line cost of your rig, so buy a TV you think is good and move on.
2010 Dutchmen Lite 25C-GS[/left:3djbo713]
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:43 AM   #6

haier is not a manufacture or a foundry for lcd/plasma tvs. i know this because our company make the equipment that manufactures flat panel glass for all tv companies. boe/hydas sells components to haier. boe is a foundry. vizio also does not make their tvs either, they are components contracted out. sharp, samsung, lg, boe are the main players. any japanese tv is some subset glass of sharp or B grade glass, pioneer, sony ect. lg and samsung is their own and are heavily subsidised by the korean government. boe is taiwanese and singapore. there is another big player in east asia but i cant think of them. i know vizio even in our industry is ranked very high, even against sharp and samsung who arethe leaders. fyi led refers to the fact the back light is not a flourescent bulb. the glass is still thin film transistor covered by liquid crystal layer. that part isnt the issues with haier but the screens power supply is built with subpar components.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:29 AM   #7

Dude, "just buy a new TV "

Colin & Karen
Calgary Alberta
2012 3500 Longhorn Ram Crew Cab
2012 Dutchmen Sport 265 BHS
FlyingDutchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:40 PM   #8

Saskatchewan

One thing you could consider, if you do get a new TV from Kodiak under warranty, is to have the dealer sell it for you. I just did that with the Atwood electric tongue jack I got as a warranty replacement from Kodiak. The dealer put it on a used trailer and I walked away with a check. Maybe they could do the same with your TV and you could buy a better one. Just a thought...

Dave.
2012 Ford F150 XLT EB SS CRW 6.5 Max Tow
'12 Dutchmen Kodiak 284BHSL
knesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:40 AM   #9

In June 2005, Haier made a bid to acquire Maytag Corporation, backed by private equity funds Blackstone Group and Bain Capital. The bid was for USD $1.28 billion, or $16 per share, topping a previous offer of $14.26 per share made by Ripplewood Holdings.[9] In the end however, Maytag was bought by Michigan based Whirlpool Corporation which offered $1.7 billion in cash and stock, or $21 per share, plus assumed debt.[10]

Haier TVs are made by a subsidiary within The Haier Group, ranked number one in China's Top 10 Global Brands (ranked by the Financial Times). The Haier Group has nearly 250 subsidiaries, design centers and plants and trade companies with over 50,000 personnel worldwide. Haier is guided by CEO Zhang Ruimin and was earning over $17.8B (US) in 2008. Haier TV products include touch TVs, 5.1 sound systems, digital, wireless, flat-panel and traditional TVs. Over the past nine years, Haier TVs have grown at an annual rate of 141% worldwide. Other divisions of the Haier enterprise contribute to keep each product cutting edge. Qingdao Haier Qingda Software develops embedded systems, multimedia systems and system integration, producing products such as the Haier Group's LCD and plasma TV systems.

Read more: Who Makes Haier TV? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5052886_haier ... z23xKXSXlG

Yep, just small potatoes.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #10

Wanted to give an update. Still haven't gotten our TV back from Haier. Weekly phone calls and they swear up and down they will call us back. We have to call them.
Ugh, I'm buying a vizio and if and when this thing ever shows up, it is going in the kids room. Maybe it will work longer than a couple months.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:33 AM   #11

Update again,
Well, here it is after the first of the year, Two calls per week to Haier and still they haven't sent our TV back to us. We are direct contact with the sales rep for the RV sales division. Well at least we are told that any how.
Have now threatened to take them to small claims court and contact a local TV and Radio show to see if it will light a fire under the collectiive tushies to get us our TV back.
So far, this is by far the most awful company to deal with when it comes to warranty repair.
For those who say, well we don't watch TV when camping, OK good for you, we have teenagers. So in the down time they like to throw a movie on and kick back and relax between hiking, biking and swiming.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #12

Wyoming
Well, for the price of TV's today I'd just go out and buy a Samsung and be done with it. They're much beter quality and picture anyway. Sometimes it's just not worth the stress and aggravation.

When you get the replacement you can keep it as a spare home TV.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #13

Oklahoma
I had a Gateway laptop last year that had spent three trips to the tech weenies and came back with the same problem. Being one not to fret over such things I took it out back and chopped it up with my trusty rusty fire axe. After it stopped burning caused by the exploding batteries I packaged it up and sent it to Gateway headquarters in California.
I feel better, no stress from the POS laptop and life goes on.
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #14

Wyoming
Sundancer- Love it! My thoughts exactly.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:10 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim87114 View Post
Update again,
Well, here it is after the first of the year, Two calls per week to Haier and still they haven't sent our TV back to us. We are direct contact with the sales rep for the RV sales division. Well at least we are told that any how.
Have now threatened to take them to small claims court and contact a local TV and Radio show to see if it will light a fire under the collectiive tushies to get us our TV back.
So far, this is by far the most awful company to deal with when it comes to warranty repair.
For those who say, well we don't watch TV when camping, OK good for you, we have teenagers. So in the down time they like to throw a movie on and kick back and relax between hiking, biking and swiming.
I believe it might be time to contact your state Attorney General's office or if your state has a Consumer Affairs department of any sort they might be more than willing to help exert a little more pressure on Haier and/or the manufacturer of your RV and the dealership where it was purchased. I know they all have disclaimers galore and like to play the finger pointing contest but bottom line, they are all legally liable for warranties implied and otherwise. Good luck.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:57 PM   #16

Ohio
I think I will put my own TV in my new rig ditch the oem

kodiak 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote