TV mounting? Lantern 300TQ - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2017, 03:27 PM   #1

New York
TV mounting? Lantern 300TQ

I just picked up my Coleman Lantern 300TQ from Camping World yesterday and I was discussing with my father how to mount the TV brackets in the designated spots. Some forms have said the backing is plywood...a YouTube video I saw said sheet metal. What type of material is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spichura-300TQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 03:53 PM   #2

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by spichura-300TQ View Post
I just picked up my Coleman Lantern 300TQ from Camping World yesterday and I was discussing with my father how to mount the TV brackets in the designated spots. Some forms have said the backing is plywood...a YouTube video I saw said sheet metal. What type of material is it?

Third option, on mine, they FORGOT to put the backing in and there was NONE! (and YES, there was a STICKER there saying "mount TV here"! I called them up and asked, eventually, I was told they left it out...

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 04:11 PM   #3

New York
Great...with all the other crap camping world put us through I hope they remembered it..... Anyone else run into this problem?

How did you find out they forgot it? Stud finder or drill?

Old 10-08-2017, 04:16 PM   #4

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by spichura-300TQ View Post
Great...with all the other crap camping world put us through I hope they remembered it..... Anyone else run into this problem?

How did you find out they forgot it? Stud finder or drill?

DRILL! Stopped JUST as I started to drill through the outside wall. I drilled several pilot holes looking for the backing. As you can see, the sticker was kinda wrong
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0161.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	4456  
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 04:19 PM   #5

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
DRILL! Stopped JUST as I started to drill through the outside wall. I drilled several pilot holes looking for the backing. As you can see, the sticker was kinda wrong

Oo no...

Old 10-09-2017, 03:11 AM   #6

Oregon
I had no problems mounting the the TV mounts. Trust but verify. Use a quality stud finder before drilling any holes. backing is wood not metal. Pre drill holes and don't use anything longer than 1" Use a drill depth gauge or tape your drill but so you don't go too deep.

For mounting the main TV I found that the entire mounting area was backed with wood.

I went outside the Recessed TV frame to mount a bigger TV 39". You have to be mindeful of the slide when it comes in. TV clears by about 2"

Main TV mount is double arms that pulls out so when you hang the TV you just push it flush against the wall
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:11 AM   #7

Tennessee
It was plywood in mine and big too. As been said, use a stud finder. If you push in lightly you can feel and hear the paneling hit the plywood too. Just be aware of the depth more than anything when drilling and selecting fasteners.

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2018, 06:57 PM   #8

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1l243 View Post
I had no problems mounting the the TV mounts. Trust but verify. Use a quality stud finder before drilling any holes. backing is wood not metal. Pre drill holes and don't use anything longer than 1" Use a drill depth gauge or tape your drill but so you don't go too deep.

For mounting the main TV I found that the entire mounting area was backed with wood.

I went outside the Recessed TV frame to mount a bigger TV 39". You have to be mindeful of the slide when it comes in. TV clears by about 2"

Main TV mount is double arms that pulls out so when you hang the TV you just push it flush against the wall
What brand tv mount is that? Did you get a strap or anything to prevent it from moving when transporting?
Ndsumcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 07:21 PM   #9

Oregon
It's made by Mounting Dream I got it off of Amazon.
You will have to get some shorter mounting lag bolts. I would go less than 1" lag bolts and washers. And pre drill
I added some small metal tie bars behind the TV above and below the mount and use two nylon straps to hold it in place even though I don't think it would move much.

For the smaller TV in the
bedroom and garage I have since replaced the first mounts I installed with some self locking ones.
https://www.amazon.com/Mounting-Drea...g+dream+md2380
Old 03-11-2018, 03:57 AM   #10

Florida
I have the Lantern CTS 16 FB. In the area also not marked as such, I cut a nice piece of 1/2" finished on 1 side plywood that covered the whole area in the niche, stained it and covered with polypropylene, then mounted it with screws, the mounted the Tele. bracket to that, sturdy as can be.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:45 PM   #11

Texas
Which locking tv mounts did you end up getting?
Ndsumcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:26 PM   #12

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndsumcamping View Post
Which locking tv mounts did you end up getting?
For the small TV's in the bedroom and garage I used Master Mounts model 2311L from Amazon. These will lock the arms so they will not pull out fut the tv will still angle left and right. So if you want the TV to be held tight when traveling you will need to get something better or use straps like I do.

For the main tv I use a Dual Arm Full Motion from Mounting Dream model MD2380 also from Amazon.

Use a good stud finder where the mounting tv sticker is just to be safe. Use screwws less than 1". Pre drill with a drill depth gauge less than 1"
Old 04-08-2018, 12:11 AM   #13

Oregon
I want to add that the mount you buy has to match the bolt pattern on the back of the TV. The first non locking mounts I bought for the smaller TV's did not match up so I had to make a adapter plate. The new locking mounts did not match either, I still had to use the adapter plate.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:27 PM   #14

Oregon
tv size for 2020 kodiak cub 185mb

Hello, I couldnt find any information about mount a tv in my RV. I have small space for TV but I want to buy a tv but im not sure whats the max size to install in my RV. Does anybody know what size is best size for 2020 kodiak cub 185mb. The one I have is half slide out and that is where I need to install a tv without interference anything there. Anybody help?

nich9olas is offline   Reply With Quote