Travel Trailer notes.. New Coleman 262BH - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2017, 03:19 PM   #1

North Carolina
Travel Trailer notes.. New Coleman 262BH

We have been RV-ing for a long time. We just sold our motorhome and are back in a travel trailer. We bought a new Coleman but, have yet to have used it. We're taking it out for a few days at the end of the month.

I'm pulling this 27-ish foot trailer with a 4x4 Suburban with a 5.3 V-8. In years past we got by on vehicles that weren't great tow-ers. This Suburban seems to tow pretty well. The long wheel base feels real stable. The 5.3 is working but not too bad. I suspect that in the mountains it will be slow going unless I want to torture the transmission, which I don't.

For every RV I have ever owned I winterized by blowing out the water lines with about 18-20 PSI of compressed air for about ten minutes. I only use the pink stuff in the drains grey/black tanks.

I have observed that the trailer brakes work way better than the brakes that were on the Prowler I owned years ago. I think that the controllers are better now than they were as well.

The dealership told me that the roof wasn't TPO or EPDM rubber but, some third option similar to EPDM. I hope it will last a good long time with no issues.

This Trailer is so much nicer than what they used to be. Central air and heat, slideout, big(er) bathrooms, LED lighting, lighter weights, etc.. Our first travel trailer was a 15 foot Prowler that weighed 3600 pounds dry. The ready to go camping weight was probably more like 4400. This 27 footer is 5500 dry, about 6300 ready to go camping. We had some good times in that prowler but, it was heavy to be 15 feet.

I would have said that the power awnings are the stuff but, I don't care that much for them. I'd rather have the manual awning. The power awnings can't take a beating like the manual one's can. We had the manual awning on the motorhome and I left it open all night at the beach many times and it never hurt it. A guy was in a brand new travel trailer near us in what I thought was a fairly light breeze and his power awning got flipped over the roof of his camper. They told me at CW not to use tie down straps with the awning. So, I guess we just won't have an awning is there's any wind at all. If this one breaks and the warranty doesn't cover it I'll remove it and install a manual one.

The motorhome had a laminate siding. Over time it began to separate. So, when we started looking for a travel trailer I wanted metal siding.

As a general rule I detest towing. But, I discovered that driving a motorhome and pulling a car (toad) isn't much better. The TTs are more useful at the campground. The motorhome was a lot of maintenance throughout the year. I really do not miss that at all. I may miss the self contained-ness of the motorhome while actually going from point A to B. I never had to stop unless I had to use the bathroom. My wife had the run of the place even on the interstate. She would grab me a coke, some chips and a sandwich and I would just keep on rolling. It would cost me about $440.00 in gas, round trip to the beach, including feeling the toad (1 tank). I think it will actually be less with the Suburban for a week. I'm figuring about $225.00 total. The motorhome was $200.00 in gas each way, keeping in mind that we ran the generator while on the road to have roof AC, microwave, etc..

The guy at CW said use a drill to crank the stabilizers down. Man, he was right about that. Literally takes like 3 seconds. Reminds me that I need to put that battery in the charger.

I did notice that the seem to have mounted the door holder too low. When the wind blows it comes loose and the door blows around. The holder needs to be mounted higher. So far that's the only thing that I have found wrong with the trailer. I guess in a couple of weeks I'll know more.

falconbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:12 PM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
Welcome to the forums! There are a couple of work arounds on the awning. You can install a set of poles that allow the ground straps to pull against them to anchor it down. I had a set made for my Coachmen Concord motor home. They came from a fellow out in the Midwest, great product, but he is bogged down right now and the wait list is probably several months. Here is a link to an article about them.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:16 PM   #3

North Carolina
Humm, interesting. I'll bet that I could build something like that pretty easy. Thanks for posting the pictures!!
falconbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:22 PM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconbrother View Post
Humm, interesting. I'll bet that I could build something like that pretty easy. Thanks for posting the pictures!!
Let me know if you need close up pics of any of the parts. I have seen a few made out of paint roller handles.

Aaron[emoji41]

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:35 AM   #5

Iowa
Looking at buying a 2019 262BH tomorrow. Everything still all good and holding up well?
kadencummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:06 AM   #6

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadencummins View Post
Looking at buying a 2019 262BH tomorrow. Everything still all good and holding up well?
Congrats Kaden... don't forget to take along one of the infamous check lists... mucho important!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 10:06 AM   #7

Maryland
Here are two of the PDI's:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PDI_V113_2.pdf (92.8 KB, 66 views)
File Type: pdf PredeliveryChecklistForTrailer2.4.pdf (150.2 KB, 78 views)

2011 Chevy Suburban 2500 4x4
2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
mjcarte is offline   Reply With Quote