Trailer Security / Changing Locks - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2016, 01:52 PM   #21

Wyoming
Probably not. These rigs just can't have the heavy-duty hardware like a house can... and if somebody wants in, they'll get in, especially if they don't care if they tear something up in doing so.

The only thing you can really do is to make it hard for the 'casual thief' to get in... and make sure you're insured against high-dollar financial loss.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 01:52 PM   #22
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by clint343 View Post
Great question and answers! We took our toyhauler in for warranty work and someone took a crowbar to our rear door and stole 4 TV's from a crap dealership in Martinsburg WV. Feel very violated. I'm wondering if better locks would have saved them.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
Probably not. One of the guys at work has a fancy Escalade with all of the anti-theft stuff you can ask for on it. He left it parked inside the fenced area at work, under a light, in front of the security camera. Left some stuff laying in the front seat. They still smashed two windows to grab out what they wanted.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 03:14 PM   #23

Florida
Been RVing for over 30 years and have never had a security problem nor have I ever heard of others having a problem.

If someone wants in your RV, they will get in.

Relax and enjoy the RVing lifestyle.
Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 04:03 PM   #24

Illinois
Door Locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Probably not. These rigs just can't have the heavy-duty hardware like a house can... and if somebody wants in, they'll get in, especially if they don't care if they tear something up in doing so.

The only thing you can really do is to make it hard for the 'casual thief' to get in... and make sure you're insured against high-dollar financial loss.
Absolutely right Tom. 25 years in law enforcement. If someone wants in, they'll get in, just like if someone wants to whack you and don't care about getting caught or consequences, you're going to get whacked. Changing locks is all is just stopping an "honest" person from becoming a thief. Don't see many burglaries at nicer campgrounds, but you do hear of things "walking off" if left out. Nice thing about keypad locks is having neighbors check on your unit if you're out and about for a few days.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:41 PM   #25

Illinois
This is something that has been on my mind. I want to replace my storage door locks with round key tumbler locks, but not sure what they are actually called or where to get them. They are difficult to pick, which makes them more secure than the lock every RV has, which means someone will have the same exact key as mine. They are the locks you see on vending machines.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:33 AM   #26

Wyoming
Barrel-key locks...
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:06 PM   #27

Nevada
You can get them from Amazon, but make sure you get the right size??
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:38 AM   #28

Utah
When we purchase our new trailer and discover the CH751 on the storage was the same key I used at work for computer racks. I quickly purchased new storage lockers but installed 2 per locker vs
the 1 lock.

I have yet to replace the camper itself but have plans to do it soon. I worries me as keys can be easily be purchased and a dishonest camper can get in.

I have locked the tanks to the frame of the trailer after a 5th wheel lost one a few nights before we arrived in Montana. He only discovered at 3AM when his heater shutoff when the missing 2nd
take did not take over.

2014 Dutchmen 261BHS
gazingm42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 02:04 AM   #29

Arizona
These are the ones I purchased from Amazon. They have worked well for me.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-23-2016, 03:33 PM   #30

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazingm42 View Post
I have yet to replace the camper itself but have plans to do it soon. I worries me as keys can be easily be purchased and a dishonest camper can get in.
Better they use a master key, than peeling the door back.

FIC was playing fast and loose with the master keys when they put out the lock recall a few years back. Cheaper to put hundreds of master keys in to circulation than pay the RV dealers to change the cylinders.

It doesn't matter what locks you have they won't stop a rat bag that wants in. If they can't get in through a door, no problem a window will do.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 04:05 PM   #31
Site Team

North Carolina
One RV dealer I used to frequent always left all of his trailers unlocked. Got tired of having to replace doors. They would not install any electronics until the unit was sold and rolling out the door. Said it worked pretty good for them. I know the big dealer just south of me had a serious electric fence system, along with a variety of sensors and cameras. Still hasn't stopped the determined ones. They have half a dozen units get broken into a couple of weeks ago. Doors were damaged, televisions ripped off their mounts, etc, etc.

If someone wants something bad enough they will figure out a way to get it.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 05:56 PM   #32

Texas
Why would anyone steal those strange and non mainstream entertainment devices that come with our trailers?

It's weird and cheap stuff. 😁
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:07 PM   #33

British Columbia
Snakebitten,

Usually addle brained addicts. As long as it looks like something that will get them their next fix, they will boost it.

If that's not bad enough, guy down the road had his tuners display module stolen, but they left the tuners brain box under the hood.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:51 AM   #34

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occupant5143 View Post
These are the ones I purchased from Amazon. They have worked well for me.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I got some of these, right size in all. First the key cannot be removed unless the lock is locked. (at least mine were that way) and they stuck and key did not work smoothly, even with oiling. Cheap China junk)

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:23 AM   #35

Quebec
Parking your trailer someplace where it is easy for the burglars to break into is a huge risk. Most people reverse their trailers into a parking spot, positioning the trailer this way will make it easier to drive off . It is better if you turn your trailer around and put the hitch away from the standard access. This will deter the thieves as it would be difficult for them to turn the
trailer inorder to steal it. There are various locks like the pad lock and cylinder lock.Among the two I would recommend cylinder lock as it keeps the locking mechanism in place and also the key is very hard for duplicating. I have a motion sensor device in my trailer that sounds an alarm if any unwarranted entry is made. A key and a lock is a traditional way of keeping your premises safe but they can’t always be relied upon.Another security measure that you could consider is getting door contacts but a motion sensor would be more reliable. I found a blog from think protection that mentions some of the key differences between door contacts and motion sensors https://www.thinkprotection.com/blog...tect-you-best/
RodneyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:24 PM   #36

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by chily3 View Post
I got some of these, right size in all. First the key cannot be removed unless the lock is locked. (at least mine were that way) and they stuck and key did not work smoothly, even with oiling. Cheap China junk)
I just took another look at the amazon link. Mine had only one slot for the key, these have two so should be able to remove key when in open position.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:24 AM   #37

Utah
It would be nice to be able to reverse my trailer so it could be harder to steel. But my construction crain is currently in the shop. How do people turn them around/reverse them so they can not be hitched?

2014 Dutchmen 261BHS
gazingm42 is offline   Reply With Quote