Trailer Security / Changing Locks - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2016, 09:04 PM   #1

Pennsylvania
Trailer Security / Changing Locks

We just picked up our Kodiak 242RESL trailer and love it. Been to Monticello already and more to come. We've met some of the nicest people in the camping community and expect most who participate in such activities are good ole honest folks.

However, I am not naive and security is important and should be taken seriously. I look at the locks on our trailer and just like most trailers, they are pathetically basic with no real security measures built into them. A cheap pick set will open them (I know because I've tried and was successful). Yes we use the 'dead-bolt' on the door but that's not an answer to overall security. While we don't keep anything of significant value in our trailer, there are things of some value that we would like to keep safe.

I have considered installing a collimated barion force field with a thermally activated repulsor beam and/or biometric stasis field to contain the 'would-be thief' until my return but I haven't finished development on those yet.

Sometimes when we go somewhere, we will be away for the day and of course we can't stop someone intent on harming our rig but at the very least, I'm thinking of changing the locks (if possible) and supplementing with other security measures.

I don't imagine we will have a problem most of the time but it only takes one time to feel violated. My question to all you pros out there is what do you do for security on your trailers?

RichardC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:19 PM   #2

British Columbia
Richard,

The first thing that I did was replace all the CH751 compartment locks and the thumb latches to a set of keyed alike locks from my locksmith. If some crap rat wants to get into the storage compartments they are going to have to pry both sides of the hatch.

The biggest problem with the door locks is the Master Key on the slam latch side of the lock and the limited key codes available. If you have a locksmith that has the Master Key, they can change the master over to the same code as the deadbolt, they may also be able to create a unique key by changing the pins in the tumbler.

The first place to start is get in the habit of putting the good stuff like ipods, tablets, cell phones, etc out of sight. If they can't see something that will get them a quick buck, they will move on to the easier target next door.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:30 PM   #3

Pennsylvania
Thanks Jim. Re-keying everything is an absolute first step and a good idea. I've thought about that as well and wondered if getting some security pins in the tumblers was possible or not. These look like simple 3 or 4-pin locks so not a lot of options. I'm going to talk to a locksmith.

Our windows are tinted so you can't see in unless there's a backlight which is only when we're there.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:42 AM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
I would consider the possibility of bolting in a strong box in a hidden location for the stuff you really don't want to go missing. I use them in my cars and trucks to store my pistol(s) and ammo in when I am somewhere that doesn't want me to have it on my person. I haven't installed one in our new RV yet, but it is under review.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 02:49 PM   #5

Colorado
Learned the hard way!

We learned our lesson the hard way about a month ago. We are on the road for a year, started in Colorado and traveling up the Pacific Coast. We are avid cyclist's both road and MTB and are traveling with 6 fairly high end bikes. What I usually do is as soon as we pull in I put them all together, lock them and throw a tarp over them. Out of site, out of mind! Anyway, we pulled into Doc Weiler State Beach in LA and I had a few of the MTB's on the rear rack of the camper backed up to the bike path along the ocean all day. Plenty of time for someone there to be ridding by and catch his eye. The next morning 2 locks were cut and we lost almost $8K in bikes! Thankfully insurance stepped in and we are back on track now!
We have however been jolted pretty hard by this. We've been really stressed out pulling into busy area's as to what to do with the bikes. We can't bring 6 bikes in every night. But again I'm back to my basic principal, out of sight an out of mind. Just don't leave anything where they can see it and then they have no reason to go in (I hope!).
rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 04:11 PM   #6

Pennsylvania
We carry some expensive medical supplies in our trailer as we are both working on becoming EMT's. On the flip side, I am a concealed carry permit holder and I always carry something with me but it's not convenient to go into some places carrying. No doubt there's people out there that will steal whatever they see out in the open and I agree that reducing visibility is key.

I've heard of some people having their spare tires stolen so I'm putting a lock on it as well. Eventually, I think some kind of motion-sensing camera would be appropriate but the options for those are fairly limited.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:26 PM   #7

Pennsylvania
The old saying goes "locks are only for honest people".

I stumbled onto this site a while back. Still haven't done it yet though and not sure if they're better locks or not.

Re-key My RV - FINALLY an easy way to have just one key!

2015 Voltage 3305, Gone for Good !
2014 Ram 3500 dually, Aisin, Gone but not Forgotten.
2018 Winnebago Sunstar 32YE
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 05:27 PM   #8

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompwil View Post

I stumbled onto this site a while back. Still haven't done it yet though and not sure if they're better locks or not.

That's the one I was trying to find again. From the pictures and the prices, I would say they are probably about the same quality as the OEM stuff, but one key is a plus.

If you could find a nice long Ziess-Icon deadbolt like our old Airstream had, that's about as good as you could get in a camper. Of course that just means they would bust the window to get in.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:00 PM   #9

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompwil View Post

I emailed them. I noticed there's no phone number so I'll let you know how it goes. In my message to them I asked about how do engage their services and suggested that while re-keying is nice, it's a convenience but not a security measure. I think/hope they do more in changing the pins of the locks or something else and I saw that they offer an electronic system as well. If they call or email, I will summarize the results of the discussion.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:47 PM   #10

Colorado
I know a good arms dealer

"I have considered installing a collimated barion force field with a thermally activated repulsor beam and/or biometric stasis field to contain the 'would-be thief' until my return but I haven't finished development on those yet."

I heard it from a friend, who knows a friend, who knows a Romulan arms dealer who can get what you want. I think you have to cross the neutral zone to make the buy though. Good Luck with that

Dale
DC8Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:59 PM   #11

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fdhealy4 View Post
"I have considered installing a collimated barion force field with a thermally activated repulsor beam and/or biometric stasis field to contain the 'would-be thief' until my return but I haven't finished development on those yet."

I heard it from a friend, who knows a friend, who knows a Romulan arms dealer who can get what you want. I think you have to cross the neutral zone to make the buy though. Good Luck with that

Dale
Dale,

It's much cheaper to charge up an old magneto and wire it up so they ground it when they touch the camper. Does the same job and a lot easier to say, just don't forget you charged it.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:29 PM   #12

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fdhealy4 View Post

Dale
That's pretty good Dale. I think I know of the Ferengi to which you are referring. He's really expensive and I don't have enough gold pressed latinum to pay for his services. However, I considered a cloaking device but the fear was that someone would run into my rig because they couldn't see it. Phased cloaks are still experimental and my first attempt gave my wife headaches and when she cooked, food would fall precariously through the stove onto the ground outside.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:19 PM   #13

Ohio
I think this is something we have all tried to figure out. I know it's on my mind quite a bit... We leave our rig about 3.5 hours from home in a somewhat remote area where the locals know who is home and who is not! The bad is like most areas that are remote drugs are rampant and the deadbeats rip what they can off to get their next fix. I installed a wireless security system, entry door sensors, motion detector, and temperature sensor. The system has an app for my smart phone that allows me to monitor the status of the system, also if an intruder breaks in i get a call from the monitoring company with the option to send the cops. Just knowing what is going on with my rig helps me sleep at night, the last thing i want is to show up on a Friday afternoon and have some degenerate in my home! Monitoring cost about 25 bucks a month and I've had nothing but great success with the system. You can update your location for monitoring on the fly so as you move you can change your location services. The system is Simplisafe.

2013- F-350 White Platinum DRW.
nonsense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:54 PM   #14

Michigan
I have re-keyed all my locks so there is only one key needed. However, I don't pretend that that is some kind of security measure; it is only for convenience. I don't want to have to carry 4 different keys because my RV has four doors. As far as security, anybody with a $5 crow bar can get in in about 3 seconds flat (probably less time than it takes me to turn both locks). Just be sensible.
nickthehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:22 PM   #15

Illinois
All the RV locks, and most residential locks are only made to keep an honest person or "rookie" burglar out. Trust me, with over 25 years in law enforcement, if someone wants to get in to your house or RV, they will. A .45 caliber will keep them from getting out!
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:57 PM   #16
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
All the RV locks, and most residential locks are only made to keep an honest person or "rookie" burglar out. Trust me, with over 25 years in law enforcement, if someone wants to get in to your house or RV, they will. A .45 caliber will keep them from getting out!
Rusty
Prefer 20 gauge #4...

Aaron
Old 05-12-2016, 03:22 PM   #17

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Prefer 20 gauge #4...

Aaron
Either .45 or 20 gauge doesn't matter, just make sure when he does go, it's in the black Suburban with blacked out windows.

Old 05-12-2016, 04:52 PM   #18

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardC View Post
That's pretty good Dale. I think I know of the Ferengi to which you are referring. He's really expensive and I don't have enough gold pressed latinum to pay for his services. However, I considered a cloaking device but the fear was that someone would run into my rig because they couldn't see it. Phased cloaks are still experimental and my first attempt gave my wife headaches and when she cooked, food would fall precariously through the stove onto the ground outside.
Cough, cough, nerds, cough, cough, LMFAO
Adair1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:20 PM   #19
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Either .45 or 20 gauge doesn't matter, just make sure when he does go, it's in the black Suburban with blacked out windows.
Around my parts it is a white Ford van, or if they are hard up a body bag in the back of a pickup truck.

Not a lot of home invasions around here, the perps know better than to try it. Especially on our property. We had one crew of 5 make an attempt during the day on a Thursday. Mistake they WON'T make again. Three went to jail, the two that stayed in the van lucked up. We have a sheriff's deputy that rents one of the houses on the property, all other houses are properly equipped too. We also have a range set up back behind the barn that sees frequent use.

Aaron
Old 07-03-2016, 01:31 PM   #20

Virginia
Great question and answers! We took our toyhauler in for warranty work and someone took a crowbar to our rear door and stole 4 TV's from a crap dealership in Martinsburg WV. Feel very violated. I'm wondering if better locks would have saved them.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

clint343 is offline   Reply With Quote