Thermostat? - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-24-2019, 10:37 PM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Mary Esther
Posts: 1
Florida
Thermostat?

I have bought a 1991 duchman classic 300 and I do not have a thermostat anywhere to be found (was in very bad condition and had many home modifications) and was wondering the cheapest and quickest fix......it's soooo hot
__________________

Goodjuju77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:34 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
sundancer 87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tahlequah
Posts: 2,709
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjuju77 View Post
I have bought a 1991 duchman classic 300 and I do not have a thermostat anywhere to be found (was in very bad condition and had many home modifications) and was wondering the cheapest and quickest fix......it's soooo hot

Do you have a roof mounted A/C?
__________________

__________________
2013 Voltage 3800, 2012 Chevy 3500 HD
2010 Yamaha V Star 950
2009 Yamaha Raider
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:39 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Northern
Posts: 160
Indiana
I have a 1994 Classic 300. Probably the easiest way would be to buy some new thermostat wire and just run new.

If you want to kick you AC on, assuming it has power, you can jump the wires at the unit to turn it on. That way it could cool off in the trailer for you to work.

You can install a battery powered residential thermostat.
Jayro88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 05:43 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: tampa
Posts: 1,580
Florida
Would your thermostat control the heater too? Not sure a residential thermostat will work.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:50 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Beaver Dam
Posts: 267
Wisconsin
I have a 2018 Dutchman Kodiak Cub. It has a wall thermostat for the furnace. It does not have a wall thermostat for the roof mounted air conditioner.
Both furnace and air conditioner may have temperature control on the unit themselves.
__________________
Paul Bristol
Dutchman Kodiak Cub KD176RD 2018
Nissan Pathfinder 2015
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:26 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Capron
Posts: 219
Illinois
Home thermostats are not to be used for RV AC, it can damage the control box. If there is no thermostat, then the AC may have controls on the unit itself, or did prior to you getting it.



You have two options, first, get an RV thermostat, which requires running wires up the wall and across the ceiling, or replace the AC control box and grill with onboard control box and matching grill.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:41 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Northern
Posts: 160
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdii View Post
Home thermostats are not to be used for RV AC, it can damage the control box.

Can you please explain this? A residential thermostat that does not have the option to run off a battery canít be used because it draws its power from the 24v (iirc from my hvac days) that comes in on the red (usually) wire from the AC unit control board. Since the trailer unit runs off 12v it doesnít work.

Past that, the thermostat is basically a relay system that completes the circuit from the red wire (12v in our case) to the yellow and blue (AC call and fan). This closes the relay on the unit and feeds the compressor and fan motor shore power (or generator).

You do have to do a little investigation to figure out what thermostat wire does what since it doesnít follow the exact same scheme as 99% or the residential units.

What am I missing?
Jayro88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:59 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Capron
Posts: 219
Illinois
Of the two I have been researching, Coleman and Dometic, they clearly state to not use with a residential thermostat as it can damage the control unit.



The main difference is the fan setting, RV fans are low and high, no on/off like the home one has.



If using a battery powered one, then a switch will be needed to change from high to low. Also a home Tstat does not have a ground bus like the RV one does. This leaves an open ground between the control box and vehicle 12V system.



I will see if I can find the statement regarding the use of a non RV Tstat, but I did that on my home PC and I'm at work.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:01 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Northern
Posts: 160
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdii View Post
Of the two I have been researching, Coleman and Dometic, they clearly state to not use with a residential thermostat as it can damage the control unit.



The main difference is the fan setting, RV fans are low and high, no on/off like the home one has.



If using a battery powered one, then a switch will be needed to change from high to low. Also a home Tstat does not have a ground bus like the RV one does. This leaves an open ground between the control box and vehicle 12V system.



I will see if I can find the statement regarding the use of a non RV Tstat, but I did that on my home PC and I'm at work.


Thanks for the info.

I would be interested to read what you find.
Jayro88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:03 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Northern
Posts: 160
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayro88 View Post
Thanks for the info.

I would be interested to read what you find.


Also, you are correct about the low and high speed fan. With just the home setup you are stuck using either just the low or just the high. You can add a small switch so you can manually toggle between the 2.
__________________

Jayro88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1991, coleman, dutchmen, thermostat

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Dutchmen RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT. The time now is 03:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.