Storing Kitchen Goods In Cabinets - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2014, 03:58 PM   #1

Ontario
Storing Kitchen Goods In Cabinets

Good day all,

Noob question here. We will be picking up our new Denali 289RK next May and one of the things that sold us was the incredible kitchen and tons of storage cabinets.

Now my wife and I were wondering how most of you store your dry goods and equipment while on the move, such as plates, cups, glasses, food cans, boxed food etc so that it doesn't fly all around while traveling.

We are not planning on using anything that is made out of glass except for some baking dishes but plates and glasses will be plastic-acrylic. Plastic containers were our first thought but the idea of having to pack up everything when leaving and then unpacking when we set up seems to be a pain in the posterior Any ideas would be appreciated.

Yves
(BTW, that's a good ol' French Canadian name and is pronounced ''Eve'')

Old 11-08-2014, 04:54 PM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
Most of the cra... I mean stuff stays in the camper. Our cabinets stay closed on all but the very worst roads. Store heavy stuff low. We have some glassware, but not much. Interestingly enough, when our Airstream was still rolling along I actually had a full set of china and glassware. It came from a thrift store and really impressed people when you set up to eat dinner.

One thing I know you can do is get some foam sheets to stack between the plates or other glassware to keep it from crashing together.

We have a basic pantry list that stays in the camper during season, but gets pulled out when we are done. My bride has some canvas tote bags that she fills with the stuff from the fridge and house pantry right before we load up to go.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 05:35 PM   #3

Ontario
Thanks Aaron....good info. How about glasses and cups? I can see plates and canned goods, boxed food etc...staying put but glasses, mugs etc..., how do you deal with those? In our truck camper, we kept them in a plastic box inside the cupboard but that was because of lack of space and as you probably know, a TC bounces quite a bit more than a TT. We were thinking of going to the liquor store and getting wine boxes with the separations, cut the box to about 4'' high and voila!! glass or cup holder.

Yves
Old 11-08-2014, 06:08 PM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
My wife uses these things at home for storing china and glassware, seem to recall we used something similar in the Airstream. They make them in a wide range of sizes and have the advantage that if they get wet they don't fall apart unlike cardboard.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:38 PM   #5

Wyoming
Yeah, I keep everything in my cabinets. No worries on the road yet... but then again, I don't have any glassware at all.

Except for one stainless steel mug I often use... everything else is disposable plastic plates & cups. The less dishes I have to wash, the better. I do use stainless silverware though (can't stand plastic utensils)... and I also have a couple of nice pieces of Calphalon cookware, but those are stored low and won't break anyway.

As for cans & other dry foodstuffs, they all stay in the cabinets with no problem. I do use a couple of small plastic boxes (4"x8") to keep all of my various spice shakers in so they don't fall & roll all around when relocating (salt & pepper, old bay seasoning, crushed red pepper, garlic powder, etc.).
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:32 PM   #6

Arizona
Wife loads up the kitchen pantry and cupboards just like she would do at home and the stuff stays in there just fine. Might be because the kitchen is over the triple axles.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:12 PM   #7

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
Wife loads up the kitchen pantry and cupboards just like she would do at home and the stuff stays in there just fine.
I have not had any problems with the kitchen cupboard - but just for safety - I took an expandable curtain rod and place it across the dishes, etc. on both shelves!!!

As far as glasses, we use insulated plastic glasses....our wine glasses I place in can kozzies, http://www.amazon.com/Pirate-Theme-I...oozie+for+cans one on the stem and the other on the upper part.

I also have a clip strip on the door of the pantry to hold my spices. Amazon.com - SpiceStor Organizer Rack 20 Cabinet Door Spice Clips - Spice Rack In Cabinet
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 01:52 AM   #8

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana & Poppy View Post
...our wine glasses I place in can kozzies,
Our wine glasses are solo cups.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:16 AM   #9

Michigan
We have regular (breakable) plates and bowls in our rig and if anyone has ever travelled I-69 in eastern Michigan, you know it is BAD! My wife places the rubbery-like cabinet liner not only inside the cabinets, but she cut smaller pieces to place in between each plate and bowl - no issues at all!
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 03:45 PM   #10

South Carolina
Our camper is small, only one kitchen cabinet. A few breakables, plates, bowls and coffee cups, protected only by a thin sheet of bubble wrap between them, and loaded in the cabinet between non-breakable items such as plastic coffee can, box of crackers, loaf of bread, etc.
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 04:04 PM   #11

Ontario
Thanks for all the neat ideas folks!!

We too do not use breakable plates and bowls...like many of you, we use paper plates (as little dishwashing as possible with real silverware and when company comes, then we bring out our ''fine'' plastic plates and acrylic glasses.

It's a comfort to hear that the stuff tends to not move around too much in the TT because in our TC, man you had to tie everything down - of course the TC, being in the box of the truck, moves a heck of a lot more than the TT. As I mentioned earlier though, we will get wine bottle boxes with the inside cardboard separators from he liquor store and cut the boxes to an appropriate high for our wine glasses and other breakables (we like wine better in glass but with the TC, Solo cups is was).
Old 11-09-2014, 04:38 PM   #12

Oklahoma
I don't think anyone has mentioned the weight factor of the dishes. Mine are all plastic to cut down on overall weight in the RV plus the added weight in the cabinet proper.

I looked inside a parked TT that had been over loaded with soft drinks, they bounced out of the refrigerator and cabinets and crash landed on the floor, walls and ceiling of the TT. What a sticky mess that had to be dealt with before any camping could begin.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:36 PM   #13

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
I don't think anyone has mentioned the weight factor of the dishes. Mine are all plastic to cut down on overall weight in the RV plus the added weight in the cabinet proper.

I looked inside a parked TT that had been over loaded with soft drinks, they bounced out of the refrigerator and cabinets and crash landed on the floor, walls and ceiling of the TT. What a sticky mess that had to be dealt with before any camping could begin.
I think it is funny that some of the common sense things (load heavy low) escape some people!
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:29 AM   #14

Missouri
Here are a few things that worked for me. The slip stop works good. you just cut it to size.

The only cabinet that has opened on me is the one that is over the sink. I think my wife didn't shut it tightly and it only happened once.

One note, I always check the pantry before opening the main slide. If they had come open during traveling, they would do some damage to the slide trim. You'll see what I am talking about when you get yours.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon.com: Camco 43601 Stack-A-Plate (White): Automotive

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote