Solar question - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2016, 04:09 PM   #1

Wyoming
Solar question

I am hoping to install a 150W solar panel to my TT.
I am dropping cable down from the roof through the refrig vent, and have seen this done on videos (no drilling except for feet install.). I am wanting to connect the charge controller to the batteries (2x12vlead acid located outside on tongue) at the dist. panel.
Since I am admittedly no electrician, I am trying not to re-wire anything if possible.
Based on the pics, how do I tie in to the battery cables?
The converter is a WFCO 8955 and it appears that the white cable at the top of the control board is the negative battery cable (1 of the 2 at the top lug, the other connects to the converter) and the positive is the black cable at the bottom with an open lug)
I have seen it done utilizing wire nuts (charge contr. cables simply added to existing wire nuts, but my TT does not have wire nuts. On the neg. cable there's a busbar that I assume I can connect through? On the positive cable there's an open 'lug' on the board, so I assume I can connect through that? Or cut battery cables and tie in with wire nut?
Please see pics for reference.
Thanks in advance!
Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160509_175042.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	3261   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160509_175234.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	3262   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160509_175247.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	3263  

chefpels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 04:56 PM   #2

British Columbia
Welcome to the forum, Tim.

I'm not a fan of tying in at the power distribution panel or any other place, other than directly to the battery.

I know guys that have taken the easy way and everyone of them went back to rewire it direct to the battery.

May be completely of the make, but it seems to me tying in at the distribution panel your solar will be trying to meet the 12V load and the battery will be deprived of a charge.

When I did my solar I built in expandability as well by sizing the wire I used from the controller to the battery. Paid off as I've added another panel and still have room to spare.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote