So I now have purchased a new CTS16FB ... what next? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2016, 05:53 PM   #1

Ohio
Talking So I now have purchased a new CTS16FB ... what next?

I don't have it in hand yet (need to have some mods put on my van first); but thinking ahead about what needs to be purchased/modified before my first trip this spring.

First the standards: sewer hose, fresh water hose, wheel chocks, black water chemicals, sheets, towels, toilet paper , stove top percolator, ...

I'll be weekend boondocking most of the time and am interested in adding an inverter generator to run the A/C ... but how to mount? CampingWorld sells an interesting A-Frame shelf that mounts to the tongue. But would that be better than a shelf mounted on the back end (which I think would be easier to work with)? How would I even go about putting a shelf on the back end? Weight has to be a consideration as after adding the generator, a tank of water, a full propane tank and a container of gas I'm quickly nearing up on my van weight limit.

What other tidbits do ya'll have to offer? I'm open to any and all suggestions!

Thanks in advance!

PamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:47 PM   #2

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamW View Post
I don't have it in hand yet (need to have some mods put on my van first); but thinking ahead about what needs to be purchased/modified before my first trip this spring.

First the standards: sewer hose, fresh water hose, wheel chocks, black water chemicals, sheets, towels, toilet paper , stove top percolator, ...

I'll be weekend boondocking most of the time and am interested in adding an inverter generator to run the A/C ... but how to mount? CampingWorld sells an interesting A-Frame shelf that mounts to the tongue. But would that be better than a shelf mounted on the back end (which I think would be easier to work with)? How would I even go about putting a shelf on the back end? Weight has to be a consideration as after adding the generator, a tank of water, a full propane tank and a container of gas I'm quickly nearing up on my van weight limit.

What other tidbits do ya'll have to offer? I'm open to any and all suggestions!

Thanks in advance!
Take a look at my registry (and others too!), I have installed a hitch on the back and a 500lb Cargo Carrier to put Coolers, Grill, and a generator. Putting the weight back there can help reduce your tongue weight if you are running heavy.

http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...rbsl-4873.html

2016 Aerolite 213RBSL
2013 F150 3.5 Ecoboost Tow Package
gjwinner850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:26 PM   #3

Ohio
Oooh ... thanks for the registry link ... I'll definitely have to take some time to snoop around!

Did you put the hitch shelf on yourself? Is it bolted on or welded? I'm an engineer by trade and tend to overthink things ... it's not always a bad thing, but can sometimes impeded progress.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:03 AM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
Generator... you can get away with 2000 watts, the A/C on the Coleman is very low draw. I WOULD NOT mount it on the front A-frame. The Coleman is already pretty tongue heavy for it's size. As far as a rear mount, I am not too sure that is a good idea either, take a look at the frame size and thickness. Also research moment lever arm. I know on Airstreams it is extremely destructive to them. Not sure how much so on something like a Coleman.

One thing we found that came in handy on ours was a set of stabilizer jacks under the front end when we were camped out, it made a huge difference in the motion when walking around inside. I used some old school style jacks and put them on pads, made a huge difference.

Swap your light bulbs out for LED, it will save the battery from quick discharge!

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:43 AM   #5

Georgia
Quote:
Oooh ... thanks for the registry link ... I'll definitely have to take some time to snoop around!

Did you put the hitch shelf on yourself? Is it bolted on or welded? I'm an engineer by trade and tend to overthink things ... it's not always a bad thing, but can sometimes impeded progress.
We did not put a hitch shelf of on ours. I just don't like the idea of putting a gas fired engine near two 30lb LPG Tanks, let alone the extra added tongue weight.

We researched this and found that you dont want to install this without your dealers and in our case Aerolites recommendation. So we went on their recommendations and installed a 3500lb hitch receptacle on the back of our camper (its welded to the frame by the dealer) and then installed a 500lb Cargo Carrier into that with a locking pin so it won't grow legs. Its very sturdy and we use a wire rope cable and lock to secure the generator. We can actually put our Generator, Weber 22" Kettle Grill, and two 60qt coolers on it and strap them all in no problem.

2016 Aerolite 213RBSL
2013 F150 3.5 Ecoboost Tow Package
gjwinner850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 01:37 PM   #6

Florida
What ever you do, make sure the tongue weight remains about 10 to 12% of the gross trailer weight. If it gets too light, you run the risk of fish tailing.
Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:04 PM   #7
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
What ever you do, make sure the tongue weight remains about 10 to 12% of the gross trailer weight. If it gets too light, you run the risk of fish tailing.
That Coleman can go over 20% with a full water tank, full LP and full storage compartment. It is tongue heavy to start with. There is not a lot of CCC to work with either.

Aaron
Old 12-08-2016, 08:52 PM   #8

Ohio
So ... it sounds like the A-frame shelf is out. Dry weight from the factory (according to Coleman numbers) the hitch weight is already at 10%. I was concerned about accessing the propane tank anyway ... oh, and there was also concern re filling the generator with gas considering the inlet is on top and seeing that I'm short! Mounting on the rear also puts the noise away from the bed, though I would still mount on some vibration isolating foam.

I will have to research the generator size some more. It does seem like the 2000W would suffice. That makes it cheaper, lighter, and quieter. But the 3100W has a remote start! (I know, I know.)
Old 12-09-2016, 05:39 AM   #9

South Carolina
Pam, congratulations, and I think you're off to a great start. We had a Coleman CTS14FD (even smaller, now discontinued) Here are a few random thoughts:
1. As Aaron said, watch that AC water drainage. Ours went down inside the wall. Search my name, and you'll find the story, with pictures. Better to be forewarned!
2. I would opt for the 3100 Inverter Generator. A 2000 might work with the Coleman, but it might not be your last TT. We had our Coleman less than a year. Our little truck died, and as soon as we got a bigger truck, we were hungry for a bigger camper. The 3100 watt model will handle the needs of any single-AC TT out there. Plus, they come ready with the TT-30 outlet.
3. BUT the 3100 is 40lbs heavier! BUT it has wheels. Instead of lifting it on/off a bumper, I think I would design a ramp to wheel it up into the TT for travel, but wheel it down the ramp, and on to the ground for operation. (Chained and locked, of course, to the TT) That way you won't feel any vibrations inside while it is operating.
4. If, because of desire for AC or Microwave, you see yourself bringing the Inverter everywhere, then don't worry about rewiring to add USB's. You'll have 120 VAC, and you always have the cigarette lighter outlets in the tow vehicle.
5. Remember, this is not just for solitude in the wilderness. You're trying to run a business. Give yourself reliable power!
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:41 PM   #10

Tennessee
Another option (although expensive) is to get a small 2000 watt generator that can be paralleled together with another one, several mfgs offer that option. Then the smaller lighter unit could easily be lifted and transported inside the camper or tow vehicle.

Then down the road if necessary, more power can be added.
Old 12-09-2016, 03:51 PM   #11

Texas
I second you Dawniewest! (Seems like I find myself doing that often. You're so smart )

I first bought the Yamaha 2400 inverter. Technically, it is exactly what it takes to run an RV Air Conditioner. But that is not why I chose it. I just thought it was an amazing package for what it was. I used it with my Tear Drop, which has a 5000BTU AC, so was far more than needed.

Later, I was lending it to someone and needed a generator, so I purchased a Yamaha 2000i. What a sweet little portable package. Decided to get 2 of them for exactly the reason you describe......hooking up parallel for my 30Amp RV.

Like you said, not the cheapest route to go, but VERY flexible. For all but boondocking in the desert, I only need the single little 2000. Quiet and easy to carry. But if I want to live like I have shore power, well, just fire up both.

Yamaha offer an extended warranty of 4 years for cheap$. They come with 2 years factory. So getting 6 years warranty is a no brainer. Work them to death.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 03:53 PM   #12

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
I second you Dawniewest! (Seems like I find myself doing that often. You're so smart )
Not so much smart as always taking the wrong route the first time. I've paid tons in stupid tax.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:02 PM   #13

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
Pam, congratulations, and I think you're off to a great start. We had a Coleman CTS14FD (even smaller, now discontinued) Here are a few random thoughts:
1. As Aaron said, watch that AC water drainage. Ours went down inside the wall. Search my name, and you'll find the story, with pictures. Better to be forewarned!
2. I would opt for the 3100 Inverter Generator. A 2000 might work with the Coleman, but it might not be your last TT. We had our Coleman less than a year. Our little truck died, and as soon as we got a bigger truck, we were hungry for a bigger camper. The 3100 watt model will handle the needs of any single-AC TT out there. Plus, they come ready with the TT-30 outlet.
3. BUT the 3100 is 40lbs heavier! BUT it has wheels. Instead of lifting it on/off a bumper, I think I would design a ramp to wheel it up into the TT for travel, but wheel it down the ramp, and on to the ground for operation. (Chained and locked, of course, to the TT) That way you won't feel any vibrations inside while it is operating.
4. If, because of desire for AC or Microwave, you see yourself bringing the Inverter everywhere, then don't worry about rewiring to add USB's. You'll have 120 VAC, and you always have the cigarette lighter outlets in the tow vehicle.
5. Remember, this is not just for solitude in the wilderness. You're trying to run a business. Give yourself reliable power!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
Another option (although expensive) is to get a small 2000 watt generator that can be paralleled together with another one, several mfgs offer that option. Then the smaller lighter unit could easily be lifted and transported inside the camper or tow vehicle.

Then down the road if necessary, more power can be added.
THANK YOU!

I did pull the trigger on a 2000 watt generator. It was on Woot for $350. It's a Wen model that I'd never heard of, but the reviews I saw on Amazon and elsewhere were very good. We shall see. I will miss the possibility of a remote start that the Champion I was looking at has ... but I'll just have to remember the $500 I didn't spend. The Wen is less than 50# and is actually a bit quieter than the 2kw Champion. Also ... I can always save up and buy a bigger one later if I want/need it. This at least gets me started.

I'm still considering having a shelf added to the back and mounting the generator on a rubber mat for vibration isolation so I don't have to move it around. I also need to concoct a lightweight cover (that can preferably be on while in use and provide proper ventilation) to keep the "gold" away from prying/thieving eyes.

I also bought a 5-in-1 "power pack" with jump start system from Harbor Freight this past weekend. Has 18Ah, DC plugs, 120V plugs and jump starters. This will help power the cell phone, tablet and laptop (and can be used at my booth as well!) so my generator use will be limited to recharging the power pack and running my A/C and microwave.

So many things to think about and consider! You Tube is becoming my friend!
Old 12-14-2016, 04:38 PM   #14

South Carolina
Quote:

I also bought a 5-in-1 "power pack" with jump start system from Harbor Freight this past weekend. Has 18Ah, DC plugs, 120V plugs and jump starters. This will help power the cell phone, tablet and laptop (and can be used at my booth as well!) so my generator use will be limited to recharging the power pack and running my A/C and microwave.

So many things to think about and consider! You Tube is becoming my friend!
The power pack is a great thing. I've had one for years. I top up my tires before each trip, and as you mention, it's all you need for USB and small 12V stuff. At home, when we lose power, I use it to fire up my modems so that unless the cable is also down (not often), then I have internet. Recently I used it for 120VAC in the back of the truck to light the (low wattage LED) Christmas lights on a float in a parade! I never leave home without it!
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 01:58 AM   #15

Illinois
Before you decide where to put the extra weight, weigh everything first. This way you will know where best to put the generator. I want to put a rack on my Colemans bumper but would need to beef it up first, and the added weight of the beefed up bumper alone would make the tongue too light. OOPS.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 12:33 PM   #16

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdii View Post
Before you decide where to put the extra weight, weigh everything first. This way you will know where best to put the generator. I want to put a rack on my Colemans bumper but would need to beef it up first, and the added weight of the beefed up bumper alone would make the tongue too light. OOPS.
Even with full water tank, battery weight and full propane? The dry weight (per mfr) makes it run over 10%. Add over 200 pounds of water (at least with the 16FB) and you're probably closing up on the 15-20% recommended max. And that's without any other weight added (sheets, dishes, ...)

The axle is very near the back of the trailer so the affect of adding weight in the back would be smaller than adding weight near the front. At least that's my memory of high school physics (which is long enough ago that I don't want to think about it! )

I'll have to find some scales to use / run tests!
Old 12-15-2016, 01:47 PM   #17

Illinois
Depending on where the water tank is placed though. On mine the water tank is just about over the axle and the 330# of water adds very little to the TW, about 50# at the most. That's why weighing it will be the best meas to determine placement, guessing at the TW and knowing it can be quite a huge difference. I thought mine was TW heavy and found out it was just right. Granted the posted trailer is a single axle, but it is still best to weigh everything.

You don't even need to take it to a scale since what you really are looking for is the TW load. Get a couple patio stones, two short foot long pieces of pipe, copper tubing or electrical tubing will work, two 7' 2 x 4's screwed together and a cheap bathroom scale. Mark the 2 x 4 every foot, then place the first stone and pipe at the one foot mark, the trailers foot rest at the 2 foot mark and the other pipe and stone at the 5' mark. Zero the scale with the 2 x4 and pipes before resting the trailer on the 2 x 4 so you get an accurate reading, then weigh it. Multiply the scale by 3 and you have your tongue weight.

You can do this at home and move things around until you get to the 13% TW you need.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:13 PM   #18
Site Team

North Carolina
On that particular Coleman the water tank is in the front left corner, so every pound will go to the tongue weight.

Aaron
Old 12-15-2016, 05:11 PM   #19

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdii View Post
Depending on where the water tank is placed though. On mine the water tank is just about over the axle and the 330# of water adds very little to the TW, about 50# at the most. That's why weighing it will be the best meas to determine placement, guessing at the TW and knowing it can be quite a huge difference. I thought mine was TW heavy and found out it was just right. Granted the posted trailer is a single axle, but it is still best to weigh everything.

You don't even need to take it to a scale since what you really are looking for is the TW load. Get a couple patio stones, two short foot long pieces of pipe, copper tubing or electrical tubing will work, two 7' 2 x 4's screwed together and a cheap bathroom scale. Mark the 2 x 4 every foot, then place the first stone and pipe at the one foot mark, the trailers foot rest at the 2 foot mark and the other pipe and stone at the 5' mark. Zero the scale with the 2 x4 and pipes before resting the trailer on the 2 x 4 so you get an accurate reading, then weigh it. Multiply the scale by 3 and you have your tongue weight.

You can do this at home and move things around until you get to the 13% TW you need.
I will definitely look into figuring out the weight distribution on my own, with your advice! Thanks!
Old 12-15-2016, 05:14 PM   #20

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
On that particular Coleman the water tank is in the front left corner, so every pound will go to the tongue weight.

Aaron
And, if I recall correctly, the waste is near the rear. I'll have to look this weekend and see which side of the axles they're on. Should make for an interesting weight shift from pre-trip to post-trip.

Now that I think about it ... everything is mounted left. Fresh water, kitchen, shower. Could this cause issues as well?