slide leaking on sides - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2012, 01:55 AM   #1

slide leaking on sides

Our new never slept in tt 3wks old has a leak in the right front corner of the slide.
The nearest warranty service center is in Kelowna about 4 hrs away, and two weeks for an appointment.
I pulled the sofa and carpet out and the corner is wet but not rotten.
With the slide out the black plastic cover on the lower side of the slide, covering the flooring is dripping water out from between it and the lower part of the floorboard.
Also the caulking on the side and up the side is missing or VERY poorly applied.
My guess is its leaking through the caulking and wicking along the black plastic cover to the floor.
It seems that a guy has to fab a piece of metal to put underneath the black plastic so that the water drips off the edge of the metal and not the plastic, and install this piece when the slide is out.
Unit was bought in the states and brought to BC.
Anyone else have this problem and are there any good solutions.
Also how are Dutchmen to deal with on warranty issues?
We were looking for a used tt and figured to buy a new one to avoid this exact hassle.
First tt and more than likely first and last dutchmen,very dissapointed with the quality.

rb camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
VIP Member

Re: slide leaking on sides

So you bought it from a dealer 4 hours away, you still need to get it back and get the leak repaired and documented that it was leaking and repaired. This will be your only recourse for future warranty resolution, if what isn't really damaged now, but detiorates in the future.

Sounds to me like there is a problem and the dealer or Dutchmen should take care of it. If you just try to do it yourself, you will basically void the warranty. You may do a better job than somebody else, but it won't be considered as professionally repaired.

My thoughts and I can always be proven wrong. I have a great dealership that I bought my unit from. They are also 3 hours away and I've never had it back for warranty work, but anything that had to be repaired, like a speaker that was bad and some drawer slides, went through them. They just mailed the items to me and I installed them. Bigger items would have to go through them, with their install to be covered by the warranty.

Good luck with resolving your problems.

2010 Dutchmen Lite 25C-GS[/left:3djbo713]
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #3

British Columbia

I can appreciate your frustration. We live in Kamloops and bought our TT from a dealer in Salmon Arm ( 1 1/2+hrs away). We had some issues with the unit. I called the dealer explained the problem and sent an email with pictures. They made arrangements with another RV dealer (competition) in Kamloops to look after the problems. They did all the work under warranty no hassles. I am very pleased with our Dutchmen dealer as well as the dealer who did the repairs.
If you have an RV dealer where u live or closer than 4 hours...I would suggest contacting the dealers where u bought it from and asked them to make arrangements for u to take it their.
Good luck.
Coops
Canada
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:23 AM   #4

I emailed Dutchmen and they said if an authorized dealer won't help you ,go to your local RV repair shop and they will pay for any repairs.
Sounds good so far.
I used a tube of caulking up to seal the holes in the slide where I figure it's leaking.
I pulled the sofa and carpet out also to access the wet particle board, and dried the floor with an electric heater and a fan blowing on it.
We have another rainfall warning tonight so I'll cross my fingers and hope not to see any water in there tomorrow.

Thanks,
rb camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:56 AM   #5

British Columbia

Good luck and hope things work out for you.
Are you in the east or west kootenays?..we have camped at Christina Lake and really enjoyed.
Canada
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote