Searched AC questions - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2019, 07:50 PM   #1

Arizona
Searched AC questions

`2015 dutchmen 300 BHSL, is 110 inside,, fan going like heck, Thermostat is set on AU, and then I put it to cool, and set temp, I should hear the compressor run also?? trouble is I forget what I am supposed to do, leave it in Cool for Cool and Heat for heat and fan on Auto? and do i cycle it to on off mode switch so no lights come on, I think this Tucson heat is melting my brain as I age. thanks in advance,, Knee replacements ( and a wife ) dont permit me to climb on top and I have no kids I can put my knowledge to... I searched here and online and watched videos but no one says Hey for cool set it here on cool and set the temp etc..

rich2481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 01:20 AM   #2

Wyoming
With the thermostat on "COOL", and the fan set on "AUTO"... yes, you should hear the compressor cycling on & off as necessary. Even if you change the fan settings to "high", "med", or "low"... you should still hear the compressor cycling.

That said... and I'm just guessing here... with the high AZ temps, there's a chance that a single AC unit just can't keep up with the demand, and as such it remains on constantly to the point where the compressor may have 'frozen up'.

I spent the months of Aug & Sept in AZ a few years back... daytime temps regularly above 100... and even with all 3 of the ACs on my rig running, it was difficult to keep the main living area cool.

Anyway, if you're not hearing the compressor cycling on & off... you may need to call a mobile tech to come have a look.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 12:11 PM   #3

Arizona
I have a infra red gun to measure the temp but this is the first year I have noticed hot air come out,, thanks for the reply though. It used to run all day in the heat, but still cooled the place,Was one of those decisions that come back to haunt you for buying, have not used in two years,, My ex wife was from Riverton WYoming, miss the trips to Lander to fish.. thanks again for replying.
Old 07-28-2019, 12:21 PM   #4

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich2481 View Post
I have a infra red gun to measure the temp but this is the first year I have noticed hot air come out,, thanks for the reply though. It used to run all day in the heat, but still cooled the place,Was one of those decisions that come back to haunt you for buying, have not used in two years,, My ex wife was from Riverton WYoming, miss the trips to Lander to fish.. thanks again for replying.

You might want to look into having a refrigeration mechanic shove some gas in it to last the summer.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 12:31 PM   #5

Arizona
thanks, will have to start searching,, have a friend who builds homes here, has a good ac guy he says,, probable end up calling the place i bought it from and see what my great extra money warranty I got talked into covers..
Old 07-28-2019, 01:06 PM   #6

Oklahoma
My money says the dealer will tell you the A/C isn't covered but they will be more than happy to install a new one for you.

Then you will say I want to have it recharged to last the summer.

He'll say they can't be charged, no charging port, must be replaced.
Old 07-28-2019, 01:56 PM   #7

Arizona
40 years ago, I worked at a small appliance store fixing room AC and dehumidifiers,, we had small fittings that fit over the tubing on units that had to fill ports,, they worked pretty good for a year or two. I will look for a mechanic since I cannot kneel yet with the new knees ( on hard surfaces and wife says NO anyhow. from what I have read on here and elsewhere, Dometic doesnt have the greatest rep. I had a home made box trailer with a 80 dollar Walmart Ge room air,, thing pulled 500 watts, and cooled the inside to freezing and lasted for years..
Old 07-28-2019, 03:04 PM   #8

Oklahoma
Yep, the ole tap-a-valve. Worked every time especially if it was soldered in. The clamp on type works but do cause problems down the road.
I was asking the A/C mechanic that was installing my new home A/C heat pack if he knew much about the RV units.

Pretty much said all compressor driven units are the same, which they basically are. He said Domectic used the wrong refrigerant in the older units and it weakened the seals allowing the refrigerant to escape. He'd tap it and fill but wouldn't guess how long it would last.

R12 is long gone, 134A is out the door and yet there is a new refrigerant out there to contend with that I think is replacing R40. We, the US, are saving the world but I could walk into a refrigerant store in Mexico with a tank and get it filled with R12 or any other refrigerant I wanted.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:49 PM   #9

Florida
If the fan does operate on auto but not cooling , the first thing to check is the starting capacitor on the roof near the motor. Due to age etc I agree it is too hard getting up and down the ladder. My rig got hit by nearby lighting and knocked out our Air conditioning, tv, microwave and cd player. The last three items were easier to purchase new than trying to fix but the air had to be fixed because they are expensive. I bought a new motor, starting capacitor and went on the roof. the motor was fine but the capacitor was bad. Still would not cool though so I replace the whole panel inside the rig and still problem. next was the thermostat itself and veroom, it fixed it and cools very well. So motor would be last choice to replace. Start with the capacitor ( appox 18.00) Panel inside the rig at ceiling 80.00 thermostat 23.00 new motor 79.00 Good luck and I hope it was just the starting capacitor.
edwin sandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:03 PM   #10

Arizona
I checked the board inside and the relay comes on and puts 120 up to the roof.. watch it with my wiggy,, tired of listening to the wife say I am not going up top so will find someone to do that for me.. I have a starting capacitor, so wish I had a family member with the smarts to go up.. my luck my step kids would fall off the ladder..
Old 08-04-2019, 06:58 PM   #11

Florida
Air Condtioning

I know the feeling. When it comes to time to get on the roof or needing help it gets harder. anyway when you find someone to climb up there make sure the trailer has no power on and tell them to take a picture of the wiring to the capacitor before they start yanking wires off. Short the terminals with a screwdriver to make sure the capacitor is discharged. That sounds like your problem and make sure you have the right capacitor. If you want you can use a jumper wire on the thermostat to make sure it is still good. Something to do till you find someone to hop up there on the roof.

edwin sandel is offline   Reply With Quote