Sagging top seal on big slide - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #1

Sagging top seal on big slide

The top seal above the big slide on my trailer is sagging sometimes getting caught in the slide when retracting. Anyone else experience this? Would this be covered under warranty?

Will hit up the dealer shortly, but being booked every weekend, i am hoping the dealer can swap it out quickly, otherwise I will swallow my pride and fix it myself to avoid having the trailer sitting at the dealers wasting away a weekend!

Sebber83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:19 AM   #2

Utah
I would get it to the dealer as soon as you can before more serious damage is done. It should be under warranty. Sometimes in hot weather if the slide is left in for months at a time then it will stick to the slide and when extending pull loose or tear. I had this happen with another brand. if you keep using it this way the seal will get twisted, stretched, and maybe tear requiring a major job of replacing it and readjusting the slide. It may leak in a rain storm.
Mel

mhbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:02 PM   #3

Yep, I was at the dealers Tuesday, they took pics and will get the work approved by Dutchmen, long process for nothing, trailer is less than a year old, it should be an automatic fix! They wanted to keep the trailer there... but could not loan me a replacement unit... So I asked how long and they said it would take 1 week for approval, 2-3 weeks to get the part and then a day or 2 to complete the work... so I would lose 1 month... I told them no thanks as we are booked solid every weekend so I will bring it back once parts are in. The only time water could get in is when slide is closed, so I make sure to leave my slides open at home and just close them to travel, usually less than an hour! Prime season is too short down here and I am not wasting a weekend, let alone 4!
Old 07-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #4

Texas
My trailer has a very similar problem. Mine got so bad that the slide almost would not go out. Further, because of the bad seal, the slide is going in and out at a slightly off angle, causing rubbing and damage to the front edge of the slide out roof material.

Dutcman approved the work and sent the parts. Like you, I kept my trailer and made several more trips while they waited for approval and materials. Mine is in the shop as I write to have the repairs made!
dave56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave56 View Post
My trailer has a very similar problem. Mine got so bad that the slide almost would not go out. Further, because of the bad seal, the slide is going in and out at a slightly off angle, causing rubbing and damage to the front edge of the slide out roof material.

Dutcman approved the work and sent the parts. Like you, I kept my trailer and made several more trips while they waited for approval and materials. Mine is in the shop as I write to have the repairs made!

let me know how it goes once you get it back!
Old 07-15-2013, 11:24 PM   #6

Texas
I will! Hope to get it back this weekend..

dave56 is offline   Reply With Quote