Roof Cleaning went well. The bad news....the sealant! - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-10-2019, 07:10 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
ArmyVeteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Aiken
Posts: 624
South Carolina
Roof Cleaning went well. The bad news....the sealant!

Nice 70 degree day on Tuesday, got half the roof clean with Dawn and some bleach. Kept rinsing the sides and all is good.


EXCEPT!


The trailer is barely 15 months from date of manufacture.
Last time I checked and washed the roof was last spring. No problem. Is this normal for such huge cracks to develop so soon?


No leaks. Yet. So, I guess I need a recommendation for what to use to plug up the cracks.



Thanks
Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190109_140331[1].jpg
Views:	74
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	5195  
__________________

ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:25 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
ATCguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Somewhere on the road...
Posts: 1,313
Wyoming
Usual? Thatís kinda hard to answer... as a lot depends on location, amount of sun exposure, hot & cold cycles which expand & contract materials, etc.

I have my roof checked every 6 months or so... cracks usually filled with DICOR, provided nothing more serious involved.
__________________

__________________
Tom
2013 VOLTAGE 3200 (EPIC I & II)
2014 Ford F-450 PLATINUM
2017 BMW R1200GS Rallye
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:28 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: tampa
Posts: 1,882
Florida
The DICOR website has LOTS of videos concerning that sealant.

Video Gallery | The Dicor Corporation | Official Website

Look under DICOR PRODUCTS, REPLACE. I have a powered caulking gun which is REALLY handy for this stuff since you will use several tubes of this stuff. Order it on-line, much cheaper.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:34 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
ArmyVeteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Aiken
Posts: 624
South Carolina
Thanks, I understand. Heat/cold/ expansion.
Just seems kind of fast.



Alas! Welcome to the world of RVs ughhh.


I think if I had know what a pain they were hahaha


I would be camping in a pup tent.
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:35 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
ArmyVeteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Aiken
Posts: 624
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
The DICOR website has LOTS of videos concerning that sealant.

Video Gallery | The Dicor Corporation | Official Website

Look under DICOR PRODUCTS, REPLACE.

Thanks, Dicor it is.
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:42 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
ArmyVeteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Aiken
Posts: 624
South Carolina
I am not normally anal retentive.....hahaha


But looking at this roof makes me want to tear all the old "adhesive" off and replace it.



In this day and age you would thinks something better in roofs exists???


Bang! That was me falling off my soapbox
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:50 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: tampa
Posts: 1,882
Florida
getting the old sealant off will not go well and you will most likely tear something. Follow the instructions on the video and be well. I have heard some folks take that sealant off and utilize ETERNABOND in place of the sealant. BUT, with eternabond, hope you never need to remove it because it is true to it's name.

https://www.eternabond.com/

I keep a roll of the stuff because I put my solar panels up on the roof with it (I have the flat flexible ones).
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:51 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: tampa
Posts: 1,882
Florida
https://www.eternabond.com/articles.asp?id=148
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:53 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
ArmyVeteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Aiken
Posts: 624
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
getting the old sealant off will not go well and you will most likely tear something. Follow the instructions on the video and be well. I have heard some folks take that sealant off and utilize ETERNABOND in place of the sealant. BUT, with eternabond, hope you never need to remove it because it is true to it's name.

https://www.eternabond.com/

I keep a roll of the stuff because I put my solar panels up on the roof with it (I have the flat flexible ones).

Yeah, I kind of figured that. I'm just venting.
Have to check out that tape.


Thanks
Bill
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:34 AM   #10
Site Team
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sprung Leak
Posts: 3,139
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
I am not normally anal retentive.....hahaha


But looking at this roof makes me want to tear all the old "adhesive" off and replace it.



In this day and age you would thinks something better in roofs exists???


Bang! That was me falling off my soapbox
They do but the RV industry is too cheap to use it, and it weighs more. I know that I will be replacing the roof on my motor home sooner or later. I have already sourced commercial roofing material from my work place. It is probably 10 times thicker than what the RV industry uses, much more puncture resistant and will last longer than I will be on this earth.

Aaron
__________________
There is madness to my methods
2015 Coleman CM16FBS(traded) 2016 Concord 300DS
2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:24 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Eldersburg
Posts: 293
Maryland
This past year I had a crack in one of my skylights so after replacing it, I decided to use Eternabond instead of Dicor to seal it. While up there I also removed several other areas where the dicor was and replaced with eternabond. It was fairly easy to replace it.


At the end of the year before winterizing it, I inspected the areas I used the eternabond and all was well. I also went ahead and removed more dicor areas (specifically the roof/front cap seem and the rear seem) as well.


Eternabond is great stuff!


One suggestion for removing the old stuff is to use either a blow dryer or heat gun to loosen it up but be careful as to not overheat the sealant under the roofing material. I did have to apply some glue under the roof material in a few areas before installing the new tape because of heating the roof too much. Chalk it up to experience!
__________________
Matt

2011 Chevy Suburban 2500 4x4
2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
mjcarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:59 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
wildwest450's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Sparta
Posts: 1,715
Tennessee
Probably why I preach nonstop about checking your roof 3 times a year. The fun part is wondering how much water has leaked in. Don't treat this like your caulking a tile job in a fancy house, Dicor likes to be blobbed on, and it will spread some from the original bead width.
__________________
2014 Aerolite 213 RBSL
2016 Chevrolet Colorado
wildwest450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:27 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Thom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Youngstown
Posts: 647
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
Thanks, I understand. Heat/cold/ expansion.
Just seems kind of fast.



Alas! Welcome to the world of RVs ughhh.


I think if I had know what a pain they were hahaha


I would be camping in a pup tent.
The thing that sets you aside from lots of (un)happy campers is at least you checked your roof!
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:03 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
ArmyVeteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Aiken
Posts: 624
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
They do but the RV industry is too cheap to use it, and it weighs more. I know that I will be replacing the roof on my motor home sooner or later. I have already sourced commercial roofing material from my work place. It is probably 10 times thicker than what the RV industry uses, much more puncture resistant and will last longer than I will be on this earth.

Aaron

I hear you. But some of us may be wiling to pay a bit more for a better roof. If I had seen the roof of any RV while we were shopping, I would probably thought twice. It is disturbing to me to see the shoddy workmanship. Just gob on more stuff and hope for the best. ughhhh
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:10 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Capron
Posts: 283
Illinois
If you think that is bad, go walk on the roof of your house and check the areas where the roofing tar was applied! Surprisingly enough, it just looks bad, but is still sealed enough to keep water out, only the surface cracks and spreads as long as the sealer is thick enough.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:28 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
ArmyVeteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Aiken
Posts: 624
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdii View Post
If you think that is bad, go walk on the roof of your house and check the areas where the roofing tar was applied! Surprisingly enough, it just looks bad, but is still sealed enough to keep water out, only the surface cracks and spreads as long as the sealer is thick enough.



Not sure that there is any traditional roofing tar on our roof. Or any roof that I have lived under in my 70 years. There may be some "goop" up there somewhere around vents.



Nevertheless, I get your point. The problem is that if you don't address the "none issues" as you see them. You void your roof warranty. And you just never know. So, I have decided on DICOR products for the "repairs" and future maintenance.


For fun, here is a video from about 200 feet. You can spot the house roof and trailer roof, barely



https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Nw...gnlyo3qL7lOKwJ



Enjoy.
Bill
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:40 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Capron
Posts: 283
Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
Not sure that there is any traditional roofing tar on our roof. Or any roof that I have lived under in my 70 years. There may be some "goop" up there somewhere around vents.



Nevertheless, I get your point. The problem is that if you don't address the "none issues" as you see them. You void your roof warranty. And you just never know. So, I have decided on DICOR products for the "repairs" and future maintenance.


For fun, here is a video from about 200 feet. You can spot the house roof and trailer roof, barely



https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Nw...gnlyo3qL7lOKwJ



Enjoy.
Bill

No doubt. Just stating that it isn't as bad as it looks in most cases. Just make sure the cracks are dry and give them a fill once in a while. I do the same thing on mine twice a year, and a look over before it goes in the barn for the winter.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:05 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
ArmyVeteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Aiken
Posts: 624
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdii View Post
No doubt. Just stating that it isn't as bad as it looks in most cases. Just make sure the cracks are dry and give them a fill once in a while. I do the same thing on mine twice a year, and a look over before it goes in the barn for the winter.

Gotcha, Thanks for the input.

Have fun.
Bill
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:14 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: prophetstown
Posts: 239
Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
Nice 70 degree day on Tuesday, got half the roof clean with Dawn and some bleach. Kept rinsing the sides and all is good.


EXCEPT!


The trailer is barely 15 months from date of manufacture.
Last time I checked and washed the roof was last spring. No problem. Is this normal for such huge cracks to develop so soon?


No leaks. Yet. So, I guess I need a recommendation for what to use to plug up the cracks.



Thanks
Bill
Wouldn't expect it to look like that after only 15 months
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:48 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Elberta
Posts: 60
Alabama
I used eternabond on the leading and trailing edge of my fiver roof as well as anything attached to the roof.
__________________

__________________
1996 F350 7.3L Turbodiesel
Dually w Banks Powerpack
2012 Komfort 3130
Livin the Life
OldOneTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Dutchmen RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×