Repair Compartment Latch - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2016, 02:48 AM   #1

Florida
Repair Compartment Latch

I have a 2015 Kodiak 241RBSL. One of my storage compartment latches is not locking. I can turn the key and it appears and feels locked, but if you pull the right way, you can still open the compartment door.

I don't think the problem is the striker plate position, but rather the shaft on the latch mechanism that braces against the striker plate. Is there a way to adjust this mechanism? You can still move the shaft when the key is turned to the locked position.

I need a temporary fix for the Memorial Day weekend. Afterwards, I will look into upgraded latches lock not made out of plastic.

FLKodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:14 AM   #2

British Columbia
Is the lock spinning in the hole? Some times the hole that the lock goes into, gets the shoulders rounded and the lock can spin. Makes you think it's locked.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 03:59 PM   #3

Idaho
You might take it out and work it to see what is happening, or just hold the door open and make sure that it's working the latch. The nut could be loose that is holding the lock cylinder in place.
RickNTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:47 PM   #4

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLKodiak View Post

I need a temporary fix for the Memorial Day weekend. Afterwards, I will look into upgraded latches lock not made out of plastic.
When you do get around to replacing the lock you should know that if the key says CH751 on it it's the same key that 90% of the RVs come with. If you want a bit more security these Amazon.com: FJM Security MEI-2400AL-KA Tubular Cam Lock with 1-1/8" Cylinder and Chrome Finish, Keyed Alike: Home Improvement work great.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:43 AM   #5

Florida
The lock isn't spinning, so that isn't the issue. I was thinking about the problem tonight and realized that I first noticed it last week after jacking up the trailer to replace a tire (following the Dutchmen manual procedures). I wonder if jacking the trailer caused a shift in the frame just enough to allow me to open up a locked door.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:30 PM   #6

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLKodiak View Post
The lock isn't spinning, so that isn't the issue. I was thinking about the problem tonight and realized that I first noticed it last week after jacking up the trailer to replace a tire (following the Dutchmen manual procedures). I wonder if jacking the trailer caused a shift in the frame just enough to allow me to open up a locked door.
Yes, that is enough to pop a door, as long as it got back to where it belongs when the camper is back on all four tires, your good to go.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:07 PM   #7

Florida
I drove out to the trailer this morning (it's at a storage yard) and the latch problem appears to just be a stuck mechanism. I pressed in on the lock shaft the other day and the problem still existed. Today, when I did the same thing, the shaft had slight resistance then popped out to where it should be. Now the latch is locking properly. When I bring the trailer home this weekend, I'll spray some dry lubricant inside the mechanism.

Thanks for the feedback on this issue. I still plan to upgrade to a heavy duty metal latch in the future.