Realistic Turn Time for Repairs - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2015, 08:31 PM   #1

Nebraska
Realistic Turn Time for Repairs

I took my camper in for paint and fabric protection on Wednesday. I also had them replace a scissor jack that broke off sometime before I took delivery. Finally they are looking into why my propane heater is not functioning. What is a realistic turn time for this kind of work. It's Friday and I was told on Thursday they had applied the paint and fabric protection already. I don't want to bother them but at the same time I don't want them to drag their feet either. Any input is appreciated.

Chaz Drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:38 PM   #2

South Carolina
The jack should only take an hour or so if it is bolted on, maybe ninety minutes if it was welded in place, assuming it is just the jack. The heater could be either a piping problem or just a bad ignition control card, though I'd bet on the card first.

Not knowing the shop, the chances are that you have only one tech working on your rig and (s)he may be working on three to five other units at the same time. The tech might be the type that works on one problem before looking at the next problem. It might take them a day or so to get the card if they don't have one in hand. I'd give them until Wednesday to call with an update. No update, I'd be calling on Thursday and politely asking how the repairs are going rather than asking when will I get it back. When we had problems with Gypsy I or Gypsy II, the first things that I would ask were how backlogged the shop was and had anyone in the service department recently quit. If there was a bad answer on either of those questions, I'd tell the service manager to buzz me back when they had an update. Luckily, being nice and understanding that there are bad times to bring a unit in for service (October thru February are notably bad times due to retooling at plants and reductions of inventory for tax advantage) can relieve some stress off of the service manager and actually put your unit in front of like to get it out of there. Be nice, be polite but be in touch is the best answer I can give.

Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:45 PM   #3

Nebraska
I am always polite, especially when I don't know the ins and outs. Plus I told them I gave them extra work so I would be patient. I did call them and I stopped by on occasion just to make sure they worked on it. The business has a black eye on reviews and I know why now. Its their communication, they made good progress and fixed all of my issues but they never had updates for me when I called. Not an issue in the future but for first timers this can cause anxiety that's just not needed. I give them an A+ for getting the work done, a B on the time frame for the work provided and a C- on communication.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:41 PM   #4

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz Drago View Post
I am always polite, especially when I don't know the ins and outs. Plus I told them I gave them extra work so I would be patient. I did call them and I stopped by on occasion just to make sure they worked on it. The business has a black eye on reviews and I know why now. Its their communication, they made good progress and fixed all of my issues but they never had updates for me when I called. Not an issue in the future but for first timers this can cause anxiety that's just not needed. I give them an A+ for getting the work done, a B on the time frame for the work provided and a C- on communication.
That seems to be the trend of most dealers. Why they cant pick up a phone and communicate is beyond me. My grades are the same as yours except a "F" for communication for my dealer.

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:35 PM   #5

Nebraska
I told the lady at the location that they would receive far better reviews if they contacted people more often. Even if it is to say "Hey we didn't do anything today on it". At least customers would know. Everything else they did was quality work but I had no idea on when what was done and when I could expect to see my camper again.

Tags
repair, time, warranty work