Prewired Satellite/Cable - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2018, 11:22 PM   #1

Alabama
Prewired Satellite/Cable

Ok, am I missing something? I have a 2018 Coleman Light 2835BH, it is the first big camper i have ever owned we just got out of a popup. But the outside area where shore power is, there is a cable outlet, I thought this was for cable TV from the park or your satellite connection. I cannot get my satellite to feed through, I have disassembled the outlet behind the TV and it is labeled cable, antenna and there is one not labeled. So there is a total of three coaxial cables coming to that outlet. I disconnected all three and connected them to my sat box, nothing. Is it a dealer fix or am I missing something? The antenna works fine.

Sladeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:08 AM   #2

Wyoming
Without being familiar with your particular rig... off the top of my head, I’m thinking to ensure your over-the-Air antenna BOOSTER isn’t on. If it is, it’ll cancel out any signal from a cable/satellite input.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:35 AM   #3

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Without being familiar with your particular rig... off the top of my head, I’m thinking to ensure your over-the-Air antenna BOOSTER isn’t on. If it is, it’ll cancel out any signal from a cable/satellite input.
I have tried it both ways, with on and off no differance
Old 09-18-2018, 10:39 AM   #4

Florida
I have two connections marked SAT on my Denali. They are wired directly to connections in the unit, one near the main tv and the feed for that tv is on the outside back of the unit, the one near the main cable input is for the one near the bedroom outlet. Look for a connection on your unit (may be located anywhere) on the outside labled SAT.

I think they did this because the LNB may require power and they don't want to backfeed that into the cable system. Besides, a powered LNB needs a special splitter to pass power.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:14 PM   #5

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
I have two connections marked SAT on my Denali. They are wired directly to connections in the unit, one near the main tv and the feed for that tv is on the outside back of the unit, the one near the main cable input is for the one near the bedroom outlet. Look for a connection on your unit (may be located anywhere) on the outside labled SAT.

I think they did this because the LNB may require power and they don't want to backfeed that into the cable system. Besides, a powered LNB needs a special splitter to pass power.
i have two, neither of which i can find a label, one near shore power and one on under the awning. i have tried both of those as inputs and i get nothing. but you bring up a great point, i have not tried the bedroom outlet.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:38 PM   #6

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sladeb View Post
i have two, neither of which i can find a label, one near shore power and one on under the awning. i have tried both of those as inputs and i get nothing. but you bring up a great point, i have not tried the bedroom outlet.
the one under the awning is for regular cable when you have a tv outside. the one near the shore power, is it your normal cable input? If not, that is the connection for the sat. Mine has two near the shore power, one sat and one cable. You may have another outlet near your main tv, it's sort of hidden and not part of of the regular coax connections. You may have a splitter somewhere near your main tv system that would go to the radio also.

According to your specs, you are prewired for sat.

PrewiringAir Conditioning
PrewiringYesCable
PrewiringYesPhone PrewiringNoHeat
PrewiringYesTV Antenna
PrewiringYesSatellite
PrewiringYesWasher / Dryer PrewiringNo

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2018-...2835bh-tr36414
Old 09-18-2018, 05:12 PM   #7

Alabama
Quote:
the one under the awning is for regular cable when you have a tv outside. the one near the shore power, is it your normal cable input? If not, that is the connection for the sat. Mine has two near the shore power, one sat and one cable. You may have another outlet near your main tv, it's sort of hidden and not part of of the regular coax connections. You may have a splitter somewhere near your main tv system that would go to the radio also.

According to your specs, you are prewired for sat.

PrewiringAir Conditioning
PrewiringYesCable
PrewiringYesPhone PrewiringNoHeat
PrewiringYesTV Antenna
PrewiringYesSatellite
PrewiringYesWasher / Dryer PrewiringNo

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2018-...2835bh-tr36414
the only external connections is the one by shore power and one under the awning, the outlet behind the main tv has 3 cables coming into it, as i said, i disconnected them all and hooked them straight to the sat box with the dish connected to the outlet by the shore power. i still got no signal and i connected the dish straight to the box and got a signal before disconnecting and connecting to the outlet by shore power. i have looked all over the specs for some indication which is which, it is very frustrating to run a cable into the camper from the doorway when it has external connections
Old 09-18-2018, 10:14 PM   #8

Florida
Quote:
the only external connections is the one by shore power and one under the awning, the outlet behind the main tv has 3 cables coming into it, as i said, i disconnected them all and hooked them straight to the sat box with the dish connected to the outlet by the shore power. i still got no signal and i connected the dish straight to the box and got a signal before disconnecting and connecting to the outlet by shore power. i have looked all over the specs for some indication which is which, it is very frustrating to run a cable into the camper from the doorway when it has external connections
Not saying it isn't possible but maybe they just didn't wire them in. the one behind the main tv would have one that goes to the stereo (that one requires the amp to be on to get signal) and the other would be the input from the coax. You may want to get one of these to try to trace the signals...

https://www.amazon.com/Mapper-Tracke.../dp/B00S9T5KT0

or something with a tone generator.

You can always do a little re-wiring to the one that is under the awning and use that as your sat dish input since it should come out probably near the main tv. Might be what that third cable is.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:12 PM   #9

Alabama
Quote:
Not saying it isn't possible but maybe they just didn't wire them in. the one behind the main tv would have one that goes to the stereo (that one requires the amp to be on to get signal) and the other would be the input from the coax. You may want to get one of these to try to trace the signals...

https://www.amazon.com/Mapper-Tracke.../dp/B00S9T5KT0

or something with a tone generator.

You can always do a little re-wiring to the one that is under the awning and use that as your sat dish input since it should come out probably near the main tv. Might be what that third cable is.
i will look into the coax mapper, but what i can't understand is that i disconnected all the cables and plugged them straight in to my sat box and still got nothing
Old 09-19-2018, 01:31 PM   #10

Florida
Perhaps your sat box is powering the LNB. If that is the case, the splitters on the rv will not pass the power. There is a splitter and a power injector (amplifier) built into the main switch for the system (the one with the button). that guy probably won't pass power either ... what sat company do you have? My sat box here supplies power to the LNB and I have Direct TV. when I use the RV, I have to use a power injector in order to supply the power. Works fine.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:46 PM   #11

Alabama
Quote:
Perhaps your sat box is powering the LNB. If that is the case, the splitters on the rv will not pass the power. There is a splitter and a power injector (amplifier) built into the main switch for the system (the one with the button). that guy probably won't pass power either ... what sat company do you have? My sat box here supplies power to the LNB and I have Direct TV. when I use the RV, I have to use a power injector in order to supply the power. Works fine.
i also have Directv, can you send a pic or diagram of what you have?
Old 09-19-2018, 01:48 PM   #12

Alabama
Quote:
ok, so i just looked up a power injector and that is what is behind my tv
Old 09-19-2018, 01:58 PM   #13

Florida
Quote:
ok, so i just looked up a power injector and that is what is behind my tv
???
Old 09-19-2018, 02:51 PM   #14

Wyoming
Just another suggestion... but why not just call the DirecTV service tech guy out there to figure it out? Sure, it may cost you a few bucks... but if you need any additional hardware, or need the existing coax repaired, he can do it. Plus, it'll save you a lot of frustration...
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 03:04 PM   #15

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Just another suggestion... but why not just call the DirecTV service tech guy out there to figure it out? Sure, it may cost you a few bucks... but if you need any additional hardware, or need the existing coax repaired, he can do it. Plus, it'll save you a lot of frustration...
when he came, his response was, i dont think that does what you think it does, i took that to mean i'm not fooling with that.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:15 PM   #16

Tennessee
I got tired of messing around with the cable hookup for use with my directv. I just added an outside hookup and ran a dedicated cable to my receiver. It cost less than $10 and not that hard to route the cable, even easier if you have an outdoor kitchen.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:33 PM   #17

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
I got tired of messing around with the cable hookup for use with my directv. I just added an outside hookup and ran a dedicated cable to my receiver. It cost less than $10 and not that hard to route the cable, even easier if you have an outdoor kitchen.
i contacted duchmen and they sent a pdf of things to try, but what caught my eye was the message in the email, "You connect the exterior satellite to the port on the outside of the unit and on the inside you remove the jumper wire"
not sure which is the jumper wire to remove.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:46 PM   #18

Tennessee
Quote:
i contacted duchmen and they sent a pdf of things to try, but what caught my eye was the message in the email, "You connect the exterior satellite to the port on the outside of the unit and on the inside you remove the jumper wire"
not sure which is the jumper wire to remove.
A picture of where the connections are made would help.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:57 PM   #19

Florida
Quote:
i also have Directv, can you send a pic or diagram of what you have?
https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...xoCpXcQAvD_BwE

https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...xoCXrgQAvD_BwE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV SAT DRAWING.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	5025  
Old 09-19-2018, 04:02 PM   #20

Florida
Here's a primer on why you need a special splitter for DTV.

https://blog.solidsignal.com/tutoria...port-splitter/

IF you hooked your sat receiver directly to the dish and it worked, then you most likely have a splitter SOMEWHERE that is blocking the DC signal that the receiver is putting out (some, only SOME receivers have the power in the cable for the LNB). What you CAN do is put the power supply and the DTV splitter (if necessary) near the dish.