Prewired Satellite/Cable - Page 4 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2019, 03:00 PM   #61

Florida
If you are connecting directly to your sat dish and bypassing the splitter, chances are that your dish is powered by the receiver. You can bypass that and get sat in the other room by putting a sat splitter (one side is for power pass through, the other side is for an extra tv). but, that said, the other tv will also need a box. NOW, there are devices on the market that will send HDMI down twisted pair (cat 5e). They work very well (i use one at home). My direct tv dish has a remote that does not need line of sight so I can work it from any room.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 03:43 PM   #62

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
Chances are the problem was not so much the fact that there was a splitter there, but the fact that the splitter was of a cheap, non-satellite quality splitter.
If you had a splitter, that means the antenna was intended to take the signal to another TV or maybe your stereo system. Did you loose the signal to the other device after removing the splitter? Or another thought could be, they used the splitter backwards to combine two inputs like your OTR antenna and the cable input jack usually found in the wet bay.
Anyway, my point is by removing the splitter, you gained satellite, but lost something else. Install a higher quality satellite splitter to regain whatever you lost.
I lost nothing else,, but what I did was unhook splitter and put the end of the cable in a cover plate and attached to wall, so if I cant get sattelite for some reason I can hook TV to that and go back to antenna or park tv

Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 04:35 PM   #63

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post

Awesome resource, thanks for that.
Says my unit wasnt prewired for satellite though one of the outside connections has a satellite sticker.. might be a botched dealer install.

Think I'll just add one of my own someday.

2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Tow Vehicle w/ factory towing package
JTMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 08:08 PM   #64

Florida
Where is the connector located? At the back? You may want to check the closest tv to the sticker to see if it really might be a sat connection. I didn’t think I had to connect to the closest tv but.

One of these would really help:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Southwire-C...ester/50278121
Old 06-24-2020, 09:18 PM   #65
Kip

Georgia
I can only speak directly for Dish but ....the Dish receiver supplies power to the antenna through the coax.....every piece of documentation says that the power is only sufficient to go through 50' of RG6 coax and that any switches or unions may interfere with the power to the antenna. On our last camping trip, we set it up for the first time and as long as the cable was running out the door and straight to the antenna it worked perfectly. Any other attempt to use an existing camper coax jack would not work. There are a couple of blogs you can read up on how to supply the power the antenna needs locally at the antenna. It requires an adapter that connects to the antenna coax fitting that splits out the audio/video info and the antenna operating power. You then wind up running a drop cord and a local power supply that operates the antenna and then, in theory, your audio/video content will go through your existing trailer wiring. I am on the hunt to get the parts to do this as I figure that will be easier and less expensive than trying to run a dedicated cable somehow through the camper to go straight to the antenna. I will be glad to share any info I get as soon as I get it. Obviously, I don't want the cable running through the camper door....although the door does close completely with the cable at the bottom corner of the door.
Kip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:30 PM   #66

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip View Post
I can only speak directly for Dish but ....the Dish receiver supplies power to the antenna through the coax.....every piece of documentation says that the power is only sufficient to go through 50' of RG6 coax and that any switches or unions may interfere with the power to the antenna. On our last camping trip, we set it up for the first time and as long as the cable was running out the door and straight to the antenna it worked perfectly. Any other attempt to use an existing camper coax jack would not work. There are a couple of blogs you can read up on how to supply the power the antenna needs locally at the antenna. It requires an adapter that connects to the antenna coax fitting that splits out the audio/video info and the antenna operating power. You then wind up running a drop cord and a local power supply that operates the antenna and then, in theory, your audio/video content will go through your existing trailer wiring. I am on the hunt to get the parts to do this as I figure that will be easier and less expensive than trying to run a dedicated cable somehow through the camper to go straight to the antenna. I will be glad to share any info I get as soon as I get it. Obviously, I don't want the cable running through the camper door....although the door does close completely with the cable at the bottom corner of the door.
LOL... First off, dish and direct tv require a special power passing splitter. That power node is listed on the splitter. In their infinite knowledge (and the matter of what is the cheapest) the builders installed splitters that do not pass power to the LNB.

Here is a useful site for wiring instructions. etc.

https://blog.solidsignal.com/downloadable-tutorials/
Old 06-24-2020, 11:19 PM   #67
Kip

Georgia
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
LOL... First off, dish and direct tv require a special power passing splitter. That power node is listed on the splitter. In their infinite knowledge (and the matter of what is the cheapest) the builders installed splitters that do not pass power to the LNB.

Here is a useful site for wiring instructions. etc.

https://blog.solidsignal.com/downloadable-tutorials/
ok. I will check that out.
Old 06-26-2020, 11:29 PM   #68

Oregon
I have a portable Tailgater with 211k receiver. My 2017 300TQ did not come wired for satellite. So I wired it myself.
I put in at least 3 splitters to allow me to bypass the the cable power switch and to run satellite to main TV the garage, front bedroom and outside. Plus, I use a 150 foot coax on a reel and every thing works great!
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:19 PM   #69
Kip

Georgia
satellite tv wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip View Post
ok. I will check that out.
so, i have solved the issue for my camper. Because my camper has the outdoor tv mount and a cable jack installed right underneath it......and because that cable jack happens to be directly behind an internal huge pantry on my camper......and since the tv and dish receiver are in front of that huge pantry......all i have to do is connect the dish receiver directly to the inside of that jack, and then connect the cable to the jack outside and run it to the dish antenna........and my problem is solved.

if i ever wanted to watch tv outside, i could either run straight to the antenna from the receiver outside or i can connect back to campground cable and use the jack as it was originally intended.

either way.....problem solved without replacing any splitters, dismantling internal wiring, or running any new wires

it only works out on my camper though because of the location of the external jack, the big pantry behind the TV, and the TV location itself.