Prewired Satellite/Cable - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2018, 04:19 PM   #21

Tennessee
Is the op using multiple receivers? I have 2 tv's but just one receiver so I connected them together with a composite cable. With the smaller camper tv's, the outside picture still looks great.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:40 PM   #22

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Is the op using multiple receivers? I have 2 tv's but just one receiver so I connected them together with a composite cable. With the smaller camper tv's, the outside picture still looks great.
That gives the same resolution as the HDMI cable in most cases. A smaller tv it works fine coming out of the receiver that way (L/R audio and yellow video cable).

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:21 PM   #23

Alabama
Quote:
one tv one reciever
Sladeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:23 PM   #24

Alabama
Quote:
A picture of where the connections are made would help.
here is the pdf from Keystone
Attached Files
File Type: pdf coax troubleshooting.pdf (1,005.3 KB, 215 views)
Old 09-19-2018, 06:28 PM   #25

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
???
this is what i have behind my tv in the living room http://www.winegard.com/kbase/uploads/2451488.pdf
i think this is the power injector you were referring to.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:21 AM   #26

Oregon
I think what is happening is that your Coleman is not wired for satellite. Mine wasn't and I doubt yours was either.

You can wire it for satellite with a Jumper. You need a jumper because you can't run the satellite through the amped tv antenna booster (button with green light)

You can add a jumper by getting a double coax wall plate lets say the top jack is A and the Bottom one is B.

If you look at the back of your antenna power booster you will have 3 coax's going to it. usually the one on the left is TV1 the one on the right is TV2 the one in the middle goes to the outside wall jack. Disconnect that and run it to the new wall plate Jack A . Attach short coax to Jack B and run it to the middle of the power antenna booster. Now use a short coax to connect A and B in a LOOP. Your TV connection will now be wired just as it was BUT now when you want to connect Sat receiver remove the LOOP from Jack A and connect your Sat receiver there. When you connect your portable Sat receiver to the outside jack you will be connected. When you want to go back to normal viewing you just connect the jumper back to Jack A.

I use a Tailgater which is powered through the coax does your Direct require separate 12 volt power? That would require another connection

I actually have a third jack on my loop plate because I am using C the bottom jack to connect to the "satellite out" jack on the back of my Sat receiver to power two additional TV's in the RV.
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:35 AM   #27

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1l243 View Post
I think what is happening is that your Coleman is not wired for satellite. Mine wasn't and I doubt yours was either.

You can wire it for satellite with a Jumper. You need a jumper because you can't run the satellite through the amped tv antenna booster (button with green light)

You can add a jumper by getting a double coax wall plate lets say the top jack is A and the Bottom one is B.

If you look at the back of your antenna power booster you will have 3 coax's going to it. usually the one on the left is TV1 the one on the right is TV2 the one in the middle goes to the outside wall jack. Disconnect that and run it to the new wall plate Jack A . Attach short coax to Jack B and run it to the middle of the power antenna booster. Now use a short coax to connect A and B in a LOOP. Your TV connection will now be wired just as it was BUT now when you want to connect Sat receiver remove the LOOP from Jack A and connect your Sat receiver there. When you connect your portable Sat receiver to the outside jack you will be connected. When you want to go back to normal viewing you just connect the jumper back to Jack A.

I use a Tailgater which is powered through the coax does your Direct require separate 12 volt power? That would require another connection
So you are saying that the shore power side is the input and the outside awning side is the output, what if I want to use the TV inside? And why does my specs say it is wired for sat? If it's not as you say, why is there an outside connections?
Old 09-20-2018, 09:00 AM   #28

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sladeb View Post
So you are saying that the shore power side is the input and the outside awning side is the output, what if I want to use the TV inside? And why does my specs say it is wired for sat? If it's not as you say, why is there an outside connections?
If your rig was wired for satellite you would have a loop wall plate or a wall plate marked satellite inside by the TV.

I suspect on the shore power side you have a cable TV inlet and on the awning side you have a cable TV outlet for connecting a TV outside.

Next time you are connected to cable or you could use the over the air antenna connect a TV to the outside jack on the awning side and see if you get a signal?

I did read that the specs on your trailer on one said wired for satellite and another said it comes with a satellite receiver and another said nothing about satellite?

I could be wrong I just know my Coleman did not come pre wired for Satellite but we do have different models.
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 11:10 AM   #29

Florida
Quote:
this is what i have behind my tv in the living room http://www.winegard.com/kbase/uploads/2451488.pdf
Here is where they say it is wired for sat...

Cable input from outdoor receptacle connects to wall plate and may be switched so either antenna or cable or satellite signals may be watched.

Here is the problem, the unit shuts down if it detects a signal that has power over 12v. The power supplied to the LNB from the SAT receiver is 21 ~ 29 volts DC (see the specs on the LNB power supply that I sent earlier). The wingard antenna uses 12volts which is the reason why there is that little light on the switchplate because it is powering the wingard antenna. What MIGHT work is you place the power injector OUTSIDE your RV to the dish. That will give you a clean signal (without power) to the DTV receiver. Which receiver do you have?

https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...xoCXrgQAvD_BwE
Old 09-20-2018, 11:15 AM   #30

Florida
IF you do not use your internal antenna (or want to make it optional), you can install the device that 1l234 suggests. You will need to bypass this wingard device in order to get power to the LNB. the wiring would be relatively straightforward.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sat wiring.jpg
Views:	1380
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	5037  
Old 09-20-2018, 02:44 PM   #31

Florida
or you have this one...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sat tv 2.jpg
Views:	1521
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	5038  
Old 09-20-2018, 08:59 PM   #32

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1l243 View Post
If your rig was wired for satellite you would have a loop wall plate or a wall plate marked satellite inside by the TV.

I suspect on the shore power side you have a cable TV inlet and on the awning side you have a cable TV outlet for connecting a TV outside.

Next time you are connected to cable or you could use the over the air antenna connect a TV to the outside jack on the awning side and see if you get a signal?

I did read that the specs on your trailer on one said wired for satellite and another said it comes with a satellite receiver and another said nothing about satellite?

I could be wrong I just know my Coleman did not come pre wired for Satellite but we do have different models.
my specs say satellite prewired
Old 09-20-2018, 09:01 PM   #33

Alabama
Quote:
or you have this one...
i have this one behind my tv in the living room
Old 09-20-2018, 09:15 PM   #34

Florida
Quote:
my specs say satellite prewired
It is pre-wired for satellite, according to the instruction for the wall plate. Problem is the power injector from the receiver or the power injector itself.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:18 PM   #35

Florida
Quote:
this is what the pdf says about this wallplate...

Wall plate/power supply to operate Winegard RV antenna with outdoor receptacle for TV set and cable or satellite input. Wall plate/power supply provides +12 VDC to antenna as well as antenna signals to two TV sets. Cable input from outdoor receptacle connects to wall plate and may be switched so either antenna or cable or satellite signals may be watched.

The wall plate uses the infrastructure in the RV and they claim sat. compatible. BUT NOT ANYTHING WITH POWER! It probably has a diode or two in it to keep power from getting to the rv antenna.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:18 PM   #36

Alabama
Quote:
this is what the pdf says about this wallplate...

Wall plate/power supply to operate Winegard RV antenna with outdoor receptacle for TV set and cable or satellite input. Wall plate/power supply provides +12 VDC to antenna as well as antenna signals to two TV sets. Cable input from outdoor receptacle connects to wall plate and may be switched so either antenna or cable or satellite signals may be watched.

The wall plate uses the infrastructure in the RV and they claim sat. compatible. BUT NOT ANYTHING WITH POWER! It probably has a diode or two in it to keep power from getting to the rv antenna.
can i simply disconnect the middle cable (cable in from outside shore power connection) from the power supply and run that to another wall plate with a coax connection? because i don't understand the reason for the double wall plate with a jumper, if my power injector wont let a sat signal through, then it makes sense to me to just remove it from that connection and go to another wall plate, however, as i said before, i disconnected all the cables in the power injector and connected them straight to the sat receiver and i still got no signal from the dish.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:39 PM   #37

Florida
Quote:
can i simply disconnect the middle cable (cable in from outside shore power connection) from the power supply and run that to another wall plate with a coax connection? because i don't understand the reason for the double wall plate with a jumper, if my power injector wont let a sat signal through, then it makes sense to me to just remove it from that connection and go to another wall plate, however, as i said before, i disconnected all the cables in the power injector and connected them straight to the sat receiver and i still got no signal from the dish.
if you hook the receiver directly to the dish, do you get a signal? Which receiver do you have? take a picture of your LNB and dish. Did you purchase that tracer yet?
Old 09-21-2018, 01:42 PM   #38

Alabama
Quote:
Perhaps your sat box is powering the LNB. If that is the case, the splitters on the rv will not pass the power. There is a splitter and a power injector (amplifier) built into the main switch for the system (the one with the button). that guy probably won't pass power either ... what sat company do you have? My sat box here supplies power to the LNB and I have Direct TV. when I use the RV, I have to use a power injector in order to supply the power. Works fine.
i have directv, i think my receiver is powered, i did find the pic attached and it makes sense to me, but not the jumper explanation.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Winegardsathookup.jpg
Views:	798
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	5043  
Old 09-21-2018, 01:48 PM   #39

Alabama
Quote:
if you hook the receiver directly to the dish, do you get a signal? Which receiver do you have? take a picture of your LNB and dish. Did you purchase that tracer yet?
yes, but not when i go through the outside input, i don't know the model, and i will get pics when i get home this afternoon.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:53 PM   #40

Florida
Quote:
i have directv, i think my receiver is powered, i did find the pic attached and it makes sense to me, but not the jumper explanation.
The jumper is just an easy way to go back to cable or use the RV's antenna. Do you use the HDMI connection off the receiver for HD signals? The SD stuff for Direct is scheduled to be discontinued in the near future.