Please comment on my hitch set-up - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2016, 05:01 PM   #1

Ontario
Please comment on my hitch set-up

Hey folks, was hoping you'd be so kind as to comment on my weight distribution system set-up. It tows just fine and I think I've got it fairly level, but I've noticed that the sway bars on the trailer side tend to rise up from their tracks if I do some tight turns. This would suggest to me that there is not enough downward pressure and perhaps I should raise it by one more bolt hole. But I'm not sure and was hoping to get some advice. Thanks.
Don

WoodlawnDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:58 PM   #2

Tennessee
Hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like you have more than the recommended sag in the back. This is in relation to the measurement from the ground to the fender top from front to rear.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:05 PM   #3

California
I agree, looks like the rear of the truck is low. With the trailer disconnected what is the distance from the top of the ball to the ground? Now measure the trailer (being level) the distance from top of the ball to the ground. These should be close to the same.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:47 PM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
Trailer looks good...

I think you need to bring the rear of the truck up a bit, also with the picture of the actual hitch it is hard to tell because of the angle.

I would have to look up my directions for that hitch, but I think you may need to drop the ball a bit and raise the bars to get everything leveled up a bit more.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:52 PM   #5

Idaho
Is your Ram a 1/2 ton? I can't really speak to you specific issue because I run a different wd hitch system. I can say that the sag is a common issue with the 1500 Rams. One of the few problems with the coil spring rear end in the newer rigs. I added coil spring helper air bags and went from 4"-5" sag down to 3/4" and that was after I had set and reset the wd system a few times. I find that the rig seems to handle better and my head/fog lights aren't pointing to the sky. Mine was even worse because my Ram has a leveling kit on it. I also feel a difference when backing the trailer in a turn. That could all be in my head........but it seems better. After I put the bags on I did have to run the chains on the wd bars 2 links down from where they had been to get the trailer to ride level. Good luck
The Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:54 PM   #6

Florida
Time to go to the CAT scales. You need truck front and rear axle weights, truck alone, then with camper hooked up no bars, then with bars. If you're set up right, the front axle weight will be the same truck alone, and camper hooked up with bars. If you can't, you can use a tape measure to see if you are close. Measure front height, and rear height, using a reference point on the bumpers. Do this without the camper hitched up. Then, hook things up with the bars on. If they're set right, the front should NOT be any higher hooked up that before, The idea is, using the WDH, to distribute weight to the front of your tow vehicle. By your picture, I don't think you have enough tension on the bars.
2016 Dutchmen Denali 287RE "The Dog House"
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:56 PM   #7

Idaho
One other thing......I did try dropping the ball on the hitch to help with the sag. All that did for me was drop the nose of the trailer and didn't help with the sag on the truck. As I said before I run a different hitch set up so it might not apply.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:08 PM   #8

Ontario
Thanks guys, helps a lot. Yes, my Ram is a 1/2 ton, the air bags sound like a good idea.

I measured to the top of the ball receiver of the trailer before and after hooking up, the trailer nose is probably about a 1/4 of an inch lower while hooked up. I also measured from the ground to the wheel wells of my truck before and after hooking up. Both the front and the rear dropped a consistent 1-1/2 inch after hooking up. Do these measurements sound acceptable?

I agree with the comment that I don't think there is enough tension on the bars, I'll have to figure out how to get more.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:32 PM   #9

Idaho
https://www.amazon.com/LIFT-60818-10...=airlift+60818

This is the set that both my buddy and I are running now. They are said to add 1000lbs at 35psi. For $83 bucks they work pretty darn good. Easy install after watching the you tube videos.

2012 Ram 1500 Vehicle Suspension - Firestone

I have this set sitting the garage but haven't had time, or really a reason, to switch them out. They come with a few more things and cost a bit more but are said to add 2000lbs.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:43 PM   #10

Maryland
That's an Equlaizer hitch...who set it up? I only ask, because I'm pretty sure it is not right. Check the install directions, you should only have a half inch or so difference between hooked and unhooked. While I do have a 5th wheel, my second TH is a bumper pull and this is the second trailer I have used my Equalizer on. If you get on level ground, do the measurements, then go through the full setup, you should have about 50% of the weight returned to the front of the vehicle and the back will be pretty darn near original height.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 04:20 PM   #11

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlawnDon View Post
I also measured from the ground to the wheel wells of my truck before and after hooking up. Both the front and the rear dropped a consistent 1-1/2 inch after hooking up. Do these measurements sound acceptable?
The directions for my hitch don't give a range that the truck should drop, just that you want the amount to be equal or no more than 1" lower in the back. If they dropped consistently why does it look like the rear is sagging quite a bit? I know my truck stays almost level but i'm thinking about installing Timbren suspension upgrades just to help out the stock springs.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:45 PM   #12

Tennessee
One thing I forgot to mention, all adjustments made to the hitch while setting it up should be done with whatever you keep in the bed for camping, not empty.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:27 PM   #13

Maryland
You need to do some adjusting. The directions below will show that if the front is returned to near uncoupled state (their example works to be one inch), the back should be level. You need to raise your L brackets, as they don't look level...thus moving weight forward to the front tires.

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/pdf/EQOwnersManual.pdf

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:22 AM   #14

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by calewjohnson View Post
You need to do some adjusting. The directions below will show that if the front is returned to near uncoupled state (their example works to be one inch), the back should be level. You need to raise your L brackets, as they don't look level...thus moving weight forward to the front tires.

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/pdf/EQOwnersManual.pdf

Cale
Thanks for that. It's actually a Husky Centerline but it looks identical to that one and I'm sure set up is the same.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:03 PM   #15

Ontario
Just wanted to follow up a bit on this. After more reading about weight distribution set-ups than I care to admit, I think I know what's going on and why I wasn't happy with the current set-up.

A bit of background, I bought this 2015 trailer used from a guy that only used it for one trip, he bought it from a dealer. If you look at my close up picture of the system, you can see the Lift brackets are at their lowest position. You can also see that if I raise it to where it's supposed to be, it will interfere with the propane tank cover.

Obviously the dealer did this on purpose so they wouldn't have to screw with the propane cover. Then they lowered the hitch ball to compensate. Tricky buggers, but this was putting too much weight onto my front axle, that's why the front is too low.

I just got back from camping so I'll tackle this tomorrow, but I'm confident I can get this right, I'll just sculpt the propane cover to fit once I have it set up.

Thanks again for the help, I'll let you know how it goes. No wonder the original owner only took it for one trip, it must have been hell and he said frig this.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:36 AM   #16

Utah
I have the ram 1 ton. I know when I setup my rig my hitch had some washer setups. Measuring my front wheel wells had a change of 3/4 of a inch when setup was completed.

I think you mad need to make more adjustments myself.

2014 Dutchmen 261BHS
gazingm42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:09 AM   #17

Tennessee
Disconnect and raise the bars a notch or maybe 2 notches
Rear of your truck is to low

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stan the man is offline   Reply With Quote