Owner's manual - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2013, 05:44 PM   #1

Utah
Owner's manual

Was I supposed to get an owner's manual with my trailer? I have manuals for the fridge, microwave, tv, and heater, but nothing on the overall trailer.

ebaeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:43 PM   #2

Louisiana
Nope. I too was disappointed that there was nothing on the trailer at all in the manual packet.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:10 PM   #3

Nevada
Here you is

Customer Service Dutchmen RV

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:02 PM   #4

Colorado
The problem with the owners "manual" is that it is so generic as to almost be worthless in some regards.

2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:04 PM   #5

Wyoming
I got a manual but it was for the previous years model. After reading it I realized it was a worthless waste of paper.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:47 AM   #6

California
As many of you already know, the "owners manual" is not helpful, is totally generic, is a waste of paper, and is not coach-specific. I found it to be a complete waste of space and time. I wondered why they don't make a manual specific to the unit purchased, then realized they'd need an entire department for that. Costs would certainly rise, which would not be a good thing.

Has anyone found the "manual" to be of any real benefit? I suppose in a general sense, there may be some value. This statement contradicts the one I made in the first paragraph... oh well. Trying to find some good in there, I suppose.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:08 PM   #7

Louisiana
I'm the type that reads almost every manual I get just to see if I can learn something I didn't know. It's kinda like reading all the posts on this forum, rv.net, irv2.com, etc. For instance, it would have been nice to know what size each tank is instead of just reading the marketing material saying "96 gal black tank/ 96 gal fresh" (I had to contact Dutchmen to get this info).
Old 10-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #8

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post
I'm the type that reads almost every manual I get just to see if I can learn something I didn't know. It's kinda like reading all the posts on this forum, rv.net, irv2.com, etc. For instance, it would have been nice to know what size each tank is instead of just reading the marketing material saying "96 gal black tank/ 96 gal fresh" (I had to contact Dutchmen to get this info).
Totally agree. So what is the actual size of the tanks? And what is that "third" lever for? And which fuel tank is for the generator, and which one is for the toys? And what do you do when a slide-out won't slide out? There are many things that Dutchmen could have put in a manual that are more specific to the unit being sold. It wouldn't have to be super detailed, but just cover the bigger items.

Maybe? Maybe not.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:22 AM   #9

Louisiana
Exactly. It would be nice if they would even put out a "line specific" manual. I would think that other than the location of things, the entire Voltage line is probably very similar.

I'm not sure if you're giving great examples of what the manual should contain or really asking questions, so I'll try to answer what I can:

What I found out from Bishop Christensen (who is no longer with Dutchmen) is that there are two 48 gallon black tanks, so the front toilet has a 48 gallon black tank, and the back toilet/sink has a 48 gallon black tank. The front shower/sink has a 48 gallon grey tank, and the galley has a 48 gallon grey tank.

The main panel on the drivers basement side pulls the black/grey for the front bath. Then there is another pull lever for the galley in front of the drivers side wheels (there is also a fresh water drain valve in the same general area). Then there is the completely separate sewer outlet behind the wheels for the rear bath. (I really wish Dutchmen could have figured out how to control all of the waste tanks from one sewer outlet and one panel with separate pull handles.)

Front fuel tank is for the toys and rear fuel tank is for the generator.

As far as what to do when slides don't work, search "Schwintek slide" on YouTube. There are several videos by Lippert explaining the system, and even showing how to manually override the motors.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:48 AM   #10

California
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post

Front fuel tank is for the toys and rear fuel tank is for the generator.
Now I'm confused. I thought the front tank was for the generator and rear was for the toys. Is there some method to confirm this.... I think I can pump all the gas out of whatever tank it's coming from, pumping into the other tank. Then when that tank is empty, the other tank is whatever it is. The hose should be attached to the toy tank, so the tank that gets full is the generator tank. I'll check this out before my next trip, then label the darn things.

Great info in your post. I'll have to sort all those tanks and levers and such and do more labeling.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:00 AM   #11

Louisiana
Yeah, it didn't seem logical to me either but everything I've read says so. The fuel gauge confirmed this when I filled only the rear tank and it was the gauge inside that showed full, not the one outside by the pump.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:02 PM   #12

New York
Quite honestly, it is not just Dutchmen who has a very generic manual! Talk to other owners of different manufacturers and you will find that they also have little to no info on a specific model.

What I have done with the last three trailers we owned, was to go thru and write down make and model of each appliance and download manuals for each.

I then contacted the manufacturer (Dutchmen, Sunline) and requested electrical, plumbing and framing schmetics and put that in the binder.

Some of the more specific items, ie how large are the tanks, you can figure out by "filling" each tank with say a 5 gallon bucket. (We purchased our 2nd Sunline AFTER they went out of business, so there was not way to contact them and ask model specific questions)

Other items, you just call the manufacturer and ask (which gas tank feeds what).....I've called Dutchmen and have gotten the answers, may not be the answers I wanted but.......they were answered!
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #13

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana & Poppy View Post
Quite honestly, it is not just Dutchmen who has a very generic manual! Talk to other owners of different manufacturers and you will find that they also have little to no info on a specific model.
I, and perhaps several of us, use an automobile owners manual as an example. The vehicles may have multiple options or no options, but all of them are detailed in the manual. The RV manufacturers could do the same, although it would mean they might have to hire a few technical writers to make it happen.

Quote:
I then contacted the manufacturer (Dutchmen, Sunline) and requested electrical, plumbing and framing schmetics and put that in the binder.
Has Dutchmen provided all these on your current rig?

2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:24 PM   #14

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalkie View Post
I, and perhaps several of us, use an automobile owners manual as an example. The vehicles may have multiple options or no options, but all of them are detailed in the manual. The RV manufacturers could do the same, although it would mean they might have to hire a few technical writers to make it happen.

Has Dutchmen provided all these on your current rig?
I asked and received the studding schematic.....
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #15

Louisiana
Quote:
Some of the more specific items, ie how large are the tanks, you can figure out by "filling" each tank with say a 5 gallon bucket.
Or by purchasing one of these:

Water Saver Usage Meter with Digital LCD Display-AN951 at The Home Depot
Old 10-28-2013, 03:52 PM   #16

Utah
Originally Posted by Nana & Poppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana & Poppy

I AM a technical writer. I created my own checklist with procedures so my wife could understand what is required to connect upon arrival, and disconnect upon departure - just in case. It is also a good reminder for me to check-off stuff so I don't forget!
ebaeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:52 PM   #17

California
Using a digital water meter is a great way to know exactly how much fresh water you're adding. I use one whenever I add water to the tank. I always dump what's left of the water in the desert (have to water the flowers out there) then I start with an empty tank. I usually only carry 50 gallons of water. We only use the tank water for shower and washing. All drinking water is in bottles or Arrowhead 2 gallon jugs. My wife won't drink anything that comes from the tap, unlike me, who's been drinking wonderful tap water for over 50 years.

Yea, I like living on the edge.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:14 PM   #18

Wisconsin
Doc

Same here.
Took my unit in last week for my first year warranty repairs and to get it winterized. I reported the lack of an owners manual and mentioned that it was hard for me to do the required maintenance to maintain the warranty without knowing what has to be done.

Left the unit with Camping World with a two page list of problems. How much of that will be covered is yet to be seen. Wish me luck.
Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:52 PM   #19

California
Well, when a company doesn't provide instructions pertinent to the rig they've sold, it makes me think they don't care. Don't care if you do maintenance or not. Don't care if things break. Don't care if you have to bring it back for repairs over and over again.

If your rig is out of warranty, and you don't have extended service plan in place, then the RV fixers are happy. They've got work, and you're going to pay for it.

The company that covers the RV is never happy when things break, because they have to pay. Just like health insurance companies. If you stay well and just keep paying your premium, they love you. Get sick, need surgery, not so much.

Good luck, Medic. Maybe all the stuff will be covered.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:42 AM   #20

Mine had an owners manual. I did find it helpful as it was my first trailer.

Here is a pdf of a Dutchmen manual, but it is different from mine. Could not find a printing date.

http://dutchmen.com/image/data/docum...s%20manual.pdf