Newbies - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2016, 11:25 PM   #1

Washington
Newbies

Hello everyone, my wife and I purchased our first travel trailer last Friday. Afree weeks of looking at every RV lot around here, thinking we wanted an antique car, thinking we wanted a boat, and finally back to an RV, we made our decision. We ended up going with a 2017 aspen trail 2810BHS. We pick it up Thursday and will make our maiden voyage the following weekend. Like I said this will be our first time camping, unless you count the few times I drove my parents 5th wheel to the park with them. Is there any recommendations, advice, dos/donts, etc for us? We will be loading the trailer wth the necessary items, or so we think, friday. I'll be towing with an 04 f150 5.4l screw, and hauling 2 toddlers, my wife, an old english bull dog and a chihuahua mix. Anyone have advice for keeping the little ones in the bunks at night? Whatever helps, I look forward to being am avid member of the site.
-Brandon

Bgross00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:55 PM   #2

California
Welcome to the forum. There is lots of information here. Take your time in getting use to the trailer. Pack light for your first trip. Find the online check list on things to take with you.

Take a look at the modifications forum and other forums.

You will need towel racks, toilet paper holder, trash cans. Take along some plastic bags, and paper bags. Wine and Beer also help

And before you it the road, check wheel lugs for proper torque, and tire pressure as stated on the side of tires.

These are some quick thoughts.

Name of the game enjoy what you have on the places you go. Take you time.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 12:07 AM   #3

Washington
Awesome, thanks for the input. I didn't even check to see if we had any of those thingz you mentioned. We were originally going to buy an R-pod 176, and decided to take a Look at a used one at a different lot. Long story short er left with the aspen trail haha. I will forget a lot of the stuff needed for the trip, I guarantee, but I will definitely not forget the beer!
Old 06-06-2016, 01:48 AM   #4

Idaho
Welcome. I keep a small notebook in a cabinet to write things down that we find we don't have in the trailer, that way when we get back home we have a list of what to place in before our next trip.

Definitely the tire pressure is important. Different temperatures will make it read differently. Like from Spring to Summer, to Fall. I check mine every trip just to make sure. Seems folks have a lot of issues with trailer tires from the factory.

Enjoy!
RickNTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 02:16 AM   #5

Arizona
Some of the items that we entertain our 3 kids are: Directv (Disney channel), iPads with movies / dvd's , wii system for the older ones. We also bought a kid size camping chair from Rei so they can feel included. And bring some of their favorite toys. Let them try to be a part in the set up and meal prep if possible. We did purchase a set of stove knob guards just to be safe. Most importantly, relax and enjoy the family time.

The Epic RV Adventures of the Karlin Family
www.campfireshenanigans.com
skarlin1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:51 AM   #6

Washington
The note pad is a good idea. As is the small chair, or oldest Is 2 so she wants to "help" with everything and be big. Are the factory tires generally crap?
Old 06-06-2016, 10:39 AM   #7
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgross00 View Post
The note pad is a good idea. As is the small chair, or oldest Is 2 so she wants to "help" with everything and be big. Are the factory tires generally crap?
They are usually marginal at best. Check the brand. Some are crappier than others. The key is to watch your total weights and the air pressures. Also they are only rated to 65 mph maximum towing speed.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:50 AM   #8

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Also they are only rated to 65 mph maximum towing speed.

Aaron
That's a good bit of information there. Thanks
Old 06-06-2016, 02:46 PM   #9

California
There is a ton of "stuff" here on trailer tires. Part of the key to tires is not overloading them, keep the pressure right, and do not drive to fast. Once you get your trailer loaded and ready to go stop by a moving company that has a public scale and weigh everything. Do the whole thing and then just move forward and do the trailer. This will tell you where you are on the tires rated load capacity. Drive slow and enjoy the trip and your RV experience.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:11 PM   #10

Tennessee
Know your vehicles towing specs and don't exceed them. A big one is cargo capacity, people exceed this at an alarming rate. Make sure the dealer sets up your weight distribution properly, don't be afraid to whip out a tape measure and check your fender/ wheel well heights. Try to put whatever weight you feel you will take with you in the bed before they set it up.

The key to camping is making it to the site safe and sound.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:13 PM   #11

Arizona
Best suggestion I got was don't camp too far from civilization the first few times you go out. That way it won't be too far to WallyWorld to get the one thing you don't have. Camping in the driveway is a very good idea if possible. Also, Goodwill is a good place for a lot of the housewares you will need. Silverware, plastic plates, pots & pans etc. Make sure to turn on everything in the unit at your earliest convenience and verify it all works as it should. Fill the fresh water tank even if hooked up to city water. Hope you have a great time.
RichH
Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups.
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:20 PM   #12

Arizona
How about a brake controller? VERY important!
RichH
Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups.
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:07 PM   #13

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
Know your vehicles towing specs and don't exceed them. A big one is cargo capacity, people exceed this at an alarming rate. Make sure the dealer sets up your weight distribution properly, don't be afraid to whip out a tape measure and check your fender/ wheel well heights. Try to put whatever weight you feel you will take with you in the bed before they set it up.

The key to camping is making it to the site safe and sound.
What exactly would I be looking for when doing this?
Old 06-06-2016, 10:08 PM   #14

Washington
I purchased a primusiq from camping world
Old 06-06-2016, 11:19 PM   #15

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aguablanco View Post
Best suggestion I got was don't camp too far from civilization the first few times you go out. That way it won't be too far to WallyWorld to get the one thing you don't have. Camping in the driveway is a very good idea if possible. Also, Goodwill is a good place for a lot of the housewares you will need. Silverware, plastic plates, pots & pans etc. Make sure to turn on everything in the unit at your earliest convenience and verify it all works as it should. Fill the fresh water tank even if hooked up to city water. Hope you have a great time.
RichH
I had been out several weeks in my new trailer before I came to a site where the electrical hook up was 35 feet from my trailer, yep, my power cord is 25 feet. The water hook up was 60 feet away, yep, my hose is 50 feet. I couldn't move further back or to a different site, and it was a holiday. I had ordered an extension but it didn't arrive until the day I got back. I went to a Home Depot and had to buy the materials to make a 10 foot 30 amp extension and get the last potable water hose they had.
Jwall62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:21 PM   #16

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwall62 View Post
I had been out several weeks in my new trailer before I came to a site where the electrical hook up was 35 feet from my trailer, yep, my power cord is 25 feet. The water hook up was 60 feet away, yep, my hose is 50 feet. I couldn't move further back or to a different site, and it was a holiday. I had ordered an extension but it didn't arrive until the day I got back. I went to a Home Depot and had to buy the materials to make a 10 foot 30 amp extension and get the last potable water hose they had.
Oh wow, I've been wondering about that. What length hoses and extension cords should I keep with the trailer?
Old 06-07-2016, 02:15 PM   #17

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgross00 View Post
Oh wow, I've been wondering about that. What length hoses and extension cords should I keep with the trailer?
This was the first park in about 15 that I had been to where it was an issue, although I knew I would run into it somewhere at least with power, which is why I ordered the extra extensions (yes I ordered 2, just in case) http://www.amazon.com/Camco-55191-Po...ilpage_o03_s00
As for the hose, I knew I could go for the week without hooking up to water so I wasn't that concerned but bought the 50' hose they had because I was there anyway.

Not sure what the RV park protocol would be, but I keep my eye out for other campers that might be missing something that I might have an extra of, so I had that in mind too, maybe somewhere someone else might need one.
Everything I have now, for the most part, I bought one and a spare.
Jwall62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 02:50 PM   #18

Georgia
Welcome to the site, I have learned a great deal. Don't for get for the dogs, food, leashes, shot records, meds, treats, toys. Regards, Jim
Tobler Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 04:33 PM   #19

Montana
Turn on propane and run your furnace for a half hour or so while parked at home with windows open. This will burn off the mfg oils and other stuff on the surfaces that heat up and it will stink like crazy. Once burned off, it shouldn't smell any more with further use. Better to do this at home while not in use instead of trying to deal with the stink while out camping. Do this with your oven if you have one, too.

Tags
2810, 5.4, aspen, ford, newbie