Newbie to Travel Trailer World - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2017, 02:10 PM   #1

West Virginia
Newbie to Travel Trailer World

Hi, we just bought a 2004 Dutchmen 26L-DSL so we can visit our kids in SC and NJ as well as travel cross country. We would appreciate any tips or tricks in general or specific to this trailer. And I have a question - I feel really stupid in needing to ask but - do the interior bulbs for the overhead lights just pull straight out, bulb only, or does the "base" come out too? I'm having trouble getting 2 out that need to be replaces (evidently this is the one light we didn't try when we bought it). Thanks!

ladiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:01 PM   #2

Tennessee
Welcome! Some older bulbs twist (you can see the guide pins on the side), most pull straight out. Looks like your gonna be traveling a lot of miles so I'd check out this thread (spring shackles) and buy Goodyear American made tires.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:38 AM   #3
Site Team

North Carolina
Do the bulbs have a brass base? If so you have to push in slightly while turning. If they don't have a metal base and are capsule shaped they should just pull out. If you can get a picture it will help. Also converting to LED will go a long ways towards battery conservation and reducing heat build up in the camper.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:50 PM   #4

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladiblue View Post
Hi, we just bought a 2004 Dutchmen 26L-DSL so we can visit our kids in SC and NJ as well as travel cross country. We would appreciate any tips or tricks in general or specific to this trailer. And I have a question - I feel really stupid in needing to ask but - do the interior bulbs for the overhead lights just pull straight out, bulb only, or does the "base" come out too? I'm having trouble getting 2 out that need to be replaces (evidently this is the one light we didn't try when we bought it). Thanks!
If they are the older style bulbs, which they should be, they get so hot that the base starts to burn or melt and the bulb gets stuck and won't come out. I had the same issue with my old RV and the halogen bulbs they installed to begin with. Look at the base of the bulb and see if there is any black.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:19 PM   #5

West Virginia
Sounds like these pull directly out but I thought I'd add a photo just to be sure
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bulb for trailer.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	4331  
Old 08-04-2017, 02:21 PM   #6

West Virginia
Thanks - I've been reading that a lot of people upgrade to LED. I guess it's just a matter of replacing the light unit with an LED in a similar style? I'm kinda the handyman in our house, although my husband does like to help with these things.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:54 PM   #7

Florida
Quote:
Sounds like these pull directly out but I thought I'd add a photo just to be sure
YEP, that one pulls straight out. What happens is that the bulb's contacts are folded over the end onto the bulb. Takes a little more force to pull it out when it gets heated up like that (the black on the connector). Wiggle it out but pull straight.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 02:02 AM   #8
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Thanks - I've been reading that a lot of people upgrade to LED. I guess it's just a matter of replacing the light unit with an LED in a similar style? I'm kinda the handyman in our house, although my husband does like to help with these things.
You can get LED replacement bulbs from Amazon, no need to replace the entire fixture. I used these. There may be better deals on Amazon. Look for a bulb rated for 12-24+ volts. The 12v only ones will have a short life. The bulb you currently have is a 921.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 02:20 PM   #9

West Virginia
Talking

Thanks again so much - I appreciate everyone's help and I'm sure I'll be asking more "newbie" questions. This is a great forum!