New to me 1994 Classic 300 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2018, 12:02 AM   #1

Indiana
New to me 1994 Classic 300

So I just picked up this new to me 1994 Classic 300. Overall it is in excellent shape. Maintenance has been kept up and the interior update. 2 Questions:

1. The previous owner had recently resealed the roof and all the seams, but there are a couple of small places the got missed. They are on the end of the drivers side panel. What do you all recommend for sealing this? Preferably something in a caulking tube.

2. The house battery needs replaced. Since I am replacing it, I figured I would look at upgrading. I have read that using 2x6v golf cart batteries is a good upgrade. Does this require anything else to be upgraded to do this, or is it just the batteries wired series?

3. I added these pics to my album, but it doesn't let post these directly from the album. Is this due to me being a new users, or is it normal behavior?

Pics:

Jayro88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:39 AM   #2

Illinois
I think you need to find out what roofing material you have before you can decide what caulk (although many people just recommend Eternabond tape and don't caulk). Looks great, especially for a 24 year old trailer. Congratulations.
Rusty

2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:46 PM   #3

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
I think you need to find out what roofing material you have before you can decide what caulk (although many people just recommend Eternabond tape and don't caulk). Looks great, especially for a 24 year old trailer. Congratulations.
Rusty
Thanks for the direction. It should be warming up here by the weekend, so I will try and inspect the roof and post a couple of pics to help identify the type. The 2 spots I want to seal currently are 2x 8" gaps at the ends of the drivers side (when towing) exterior wall. See the pics below. It appears that over time things have shifted slightly and created a gap. The previous owner kept everything sealed up, but missed these spots. I ordered some Dicor Non-Sag in a caulking tube. Will this work.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:11 PM   #4

Illinois
I'm not the roof guy, so you may want to get some other responses from people who for sure know what they are talking about, but from what I know, there are two types of roofs: EPDM and TPO. You need to use the right sealant for your type of roof. There is a Dicor EPDM and then the Dicor for TPO. Either way, check out using the Eternabond Tape. Seems to be the preferred sealing method. Good luck.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:44 PM   #5

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
I'm not the roof guy, so you may want to get some other responses from people who for sure know what they are talking about, but from what I know, there are two types of roofs: EPDM and TPO. You need to use the right sealant for your type of roof. There is a Dicor EPDM and then the Dicor for TPO. Either way, check out using the Eternabond Tape. Seems to be the preferred sealing method. Good luck.
Rusty
Thanks for the information on the roof. I have done quite a bit of residential and automotive work, but this is my first delve into a travel trailer.

I have read some on the Eternabond Tape and it says that it seals well and lasts longer than other options.

Any suggestions for sealing the gaps at the end of the side wall panel in the pictures? It looks like it is just metal siding.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:32 PM   #6

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayro88 View Post
Thanks for the direction. It should be warming up here by the weekend, so I will try and inspect the roof and post a couple of pics to help identify the type. The 2 spots I want to seal currently are 2x 8" gaps at the ends of the drivers side (when towing) exterior wall. See the pics below. It appears that over time things have shifted slightly and created a gap. The previous owner kept everything sealed up, but missed these spots. I ordered some Dicor Non-Sag in a caulking tube. Will this work.

Dicor should work BUT, you should order the cleaner also (in my humble opinion). You are going to need to make sure it is absolutely clean before you put the Dicor on and remove that mess before application. You may also want to investigate WHY it shifted before you apply the Dicor.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:17 PM   #7

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
Dicor should work BUT, you should order the cleaner also (in my humble opinion). You are going to need to make sure it is absolutely clean before you put the Dicor on and remove that mess before application. You may also want to investigate WHY it shifted before you apply the Dicor.
Thanks. I am sure Dicor makes their own brand cleaner they recommend, but it there anything else that works well.

I was thinking about the "Why" and am kinda drawing a blank. I have gone through and looked at all the other seams around the trailer (minus the roof) and everything is lined up. I was kinda chalking it up to being 24yr old trailer that has probably seen a lot of rattling down the road etc etc.

Any specific places on the trailer that would be good to examine in relation to this?
Old 03-06-2018, 03:27 PM   #8

Florida
That looks like all it is is a piece of corner molding. Possibly, as part of the reseal process I would remove it completely and see what it looks like underneath. It may just be a piece that covers seams or where the corners come together.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote