Navigation - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2017, 07:57 PM   #1

New York
Navigation

What do you all use for navigation. I’m looking at CoPilot RV but I can’t find too many recent reviews on it. Have any of you used it? If you use a GPS let me know too. We just had a hall of a trip around Ithaca NY and defiantly needed good navigation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spichura-300TQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:27 PM   #2

Wyoming
I use a combo of apps and a gps for my travels...

First is my Garmin RV770 GPS unit. It’s like a regular gps unit, except that the software is RV specific. You enter your rig’s length & height, and the mapping software gives you a route that is supposed to be friendly... but, of course, one should always double-check. I’ve been using it since May, and it hasn’t put me in any bad roads yet.

It is also the monitor for the rear-camera I have mounted on the back of my RV (also Garmin).

When I know I’m gonna be in the mountains... I go to the Mountain Directory app on my iPad. It’s not a free app, but is worth the cost. There are 2 sets of maps available (East & West), and since I travel everywhere, I have both. It informs you about various mountain roads... grade & conditions... so you can make an informed decision whether you wanna travel it, or plan alternate routes.

Next, when looking for a place to stay in a certain location, I go to another pay-app... Allstays Camp & RV app. It provides info on campgrounds, truck stops, service centers, and even Walmart parking lots... all with user reviews that you can read and see what others thought of the place.

And finally, Google Maps is always a good resource for general pre-planning.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 12:16 AM   #3
Site Team

North Carolina
I typically pre-plan my trips using Google Maps and print out a route after i get done tweaking it. Then forward the route to my cellphone. Then I can use it as needed as a GPS. I travel a lot for a living and unfortunately am very familiar with most of the major and alternate routes within a 500 mile radius of my home.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:47 PM   #4

Texas
Yaw know me.......No itinerary, no reservations, no idea when I'm leaving a spot or how long I'm gonna stay. Emphasis on adventure!

However, I heavily rely on technology for routes and destinations. I have all kinds of gadgets, a natural result of someone who is a "traveling network admin". Give me a cellular tower with one or two bars of connectivity and I have the gadgets needed to setup a full Ethernet\VOIP office in the RV. (Last billing cycle I consumed 116 Gigs of bandwidth. I LOVE the war of the cellular companies to give us MORE for LESS)

For navigation specifically, I simply use the native MAP app on windows based devices I carry. ON occasion, I grab a Android device and it does use Google based strategies.

I will admit that I use the LTE coverage maps for influencing my routes and destinations more than I use distances or landmarks. Fortunately, these days, there are pockets of coverage in some of the most remote areas, where just a few years ago it was unheard of. Combine that with the willingness to boondock if necessary, (remember, no reservations, so in peak vacation season I can't expect to get the high-demand full hookup spots) I travel almost worry-free.

I love this lifestyle! I can't believe I waited so long to find out about it.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:14 PM   #5

New York
That’s sounds like a good set up. I tried google maps but my trailer is 12-5 and 30 feet long so clearance is my biggest concern

spichura-300TQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:30 PM   #6
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by spichura-300TQ View Post
That’s sounds like a good set up. I tried google maps but my trailer is 12-5 and 30 feet long so clearance is my biggest concern

As long as you follow signed truck routes you should be good. I use the free app ParkAdvisor, it lists low clearance bridges that may be on your route to a specific campground. I only need 11' or so of overhead for my current rig.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:38 PM   #7

Texas
For cruzing town after arrival I prefer Waze as it is free and uses other users input for traffic an alternate routing.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk
CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:41 PM   #8

Florida
navigation system

I got a used Garmin on eBay. It works great. I updated it on line cost less than 1/2 the price of a new one and you do not need to be on-line. You should do the same as my way works the best for most.
masterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:42 AM   #9

Kentucky
I use a Garmin RV 760LMT. This model is designed for RV travelers. I am happy with it.

BarryD is offline   Reply With Quote